• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Having Both Autism AND ADHD is Insanely Difficult

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
Having both autism and adhd is so darn difficult! It feels like I am never understood at times. Trust me, autism and adhd do NOT mix. They are both heavily misunderstood neurological conditions, and I just happen to have both. Whoop-dee-doo.

Ain't life just great?

There are some days when it seems my ADHD is more active then my autism, and I'm in a constant state of being confused and/or not being able to pay attention for more than 4 seconds, and then there are some days when it seems my autism is more active and then my anxiety levels rise to an incredible amount, I am scared of talking to people in fear of being completely misinterpreted as an awful person, and my clothes suddenly irritate me even more, making me constantly fight the urge to start stripping naked (which can distract me from everything else that is happening around me sometimes). The days when it seems my autism and adhd are equally active are still pretty difficult.

I have plans to make my adult life easier, such as moving to a more nudist-friendly neighborhood. Ever since I heard about naturist colonies and communities, naturism appealed to me. Especially considering that there is an abundant amount of naturist communities and nude beaches in Florida. If any of you are American or at least seen a map of the U.S., you can tell that Florida isn't too far from South Carolina, which is the state I currently live in.

There are even shooting ranges in Florida that allow nudity! This is great, because, despite me not being old enough to own even a rifle (a rifle purchase in the U.S. requires you to be 18+, and I am only 16), I am still quite the gun person.

Also, my brother and his GF are moving to Florida, so I will have a family member a convenient distance away in case I start missing my family too much if I do end up moving to Florida just for the naturist communities there.

I wish we live in a world where nudity is socially acceptable everywhere. I just freaking hate clothes. And there are only very few types of clothes that I actually like, and my height (I am 5' 11" and still growing) already makes finding clothes for me difficult enough!

My social anxiety also gets pretty bad. It sometimes even feels like people are waiting for the moment when I screw up while I'm talking to them. This ties back to me saying I have a fear of being misinterpreted as an awful person. It's just hard.

Also, my sister has an incredibly low amount of patience, and somehow thinks that she knows more about my own autism than I do, and all because she has a psychology minor. She always does that when she gets into arguments and starts yelling at me for things that I do that annoy her, despite her already knowing that I don't do those things with the intent of annoying anybody at all. For a senior in college, she is quite immature. IDK if this changes anything, but she has ADD. And kinda something going on with her English major and psychology minor. She even fails to understand the concept of humor, mostly because she has none at all and is often a killjoy whenever I make any type of joke she sees offensive in some way or another. For example, I was watching a video about social media posts that were written in "Engrish" (essential English so bad, it's obvious it's from somebody who is a non-native speaker).

Here is essentially how it went (S=Sister, if you can't figure that out):
Sister: Engrish is racist.
Me: How is Engrish racist?
S: Becuase it makes fun of Chinese people's accents.
Me: I don't see any Chinese people complaining. Stop being a killjoy and speaking for other people despite not having a clue what their opinions are (our entire family is white, BTW). Also, not my fault that you don't understand satire at all, despite being a senior in college with an English major.
S: No, me being an English major means that I do have a complete understanding of satire. Do you understand satire?
Me: Yes, yes I do. In fact, that is the style of comedy that I am into.
S: Is that so? Explain satire to me, then?
Me: I shouldn't have to explain satire to you, you're the English major. You should know how humor works.

SMH. My sister is so gosh-darn annoying sometimes. She thinks that she can tell me what kinds of jokes I can make. I am a 16 year-old-boy. I tell jokes that can sometimes be on the more offensive side. That's what teenagers do. She should learn to deal with it. The world isn't just gonna conform to her world view just because she wants it to.

Anyways, I am getting tired, and it is 9pm where I live right now. Sorry that this post was kinda all over the place. As I said, I am getting tired. I should probably get off the computer soon.

Good responses to your sis!!!

Clothes are something I tolerate. I tend towards the same look daily.

Nude beaches,and shooting ranges: what's not to love about that?

I have been to nude beaches, gone nude in the woods swimming too. I love that.

I am not a good shot with a gun [neurology problems] but I can see where being nude would make that enjoyable too.

I did shoot clay pigeons once off a boat and did okay with that. But that was before my neurology messed up how my eyeballs [now do not] work together.

Yes, I also am autistic with more than a dash of ADHD. I was just recently officially diagnosed with ADHD much to my astonishment.

I just figured that the world was distracting.

The world IS distracting. Oh wait maybe that's MY ADHD talking. Hmm. Yes it is difficult. I've never been officially diagnosed with anything except for anxiety, but I know I have what I know I have, whatever "they" wanna label it. Not into the nude thing personally(way too self conscious) I like clothing but it Must be comfy. I happen to be an excellent shot with a gun. Shooting nude though, um no. What if things go awry and your junk gets hurt? Lol

My psychiatrist thinks i may have ADD as well as Asperger's. I wouldn't be surprised, my attention really sucks - I get really off topic and distracted at school and often I get nothing done that I'm supposed to do.:confused: But when I'm doing something I really enjoy and find interesting, gee i can focus...

I may (likely) have ADD myself.
Some people seem to assume ADHD/ADD is more of a generic autism thing that more often gets missed.

I suppose it's a sibling thing so I don't mean to be harsh, but just from this it seemed like she stated an opinion she has on an issue and you responded by attacking her personally rather than responding to the actual point.

And what medication do you take? Does it help much?

You sound a bit like me when I was your age, no medication, minus the nudity but maybe throw in masturbating HAHA And I had a habit of just leaving class and school. Security was terrible. And teachers often had me sit at their desks. Many gave up and just let me sleep or go to the restroom and not come back. I couldn't understand how people could sit there for that long and then go do it again in another room. 'Twas maddening!

Now, I can sit still close to two hours before wanting to kill someone! :eek::D

Last edited:
Having both autism and adhd is so darn difficult! It feels like I am never understood at times. Trust me, autism and adhd do NOT mix. They are both heavily misunderstood neurological conditions, and I just happen to have both. Whoop-dee-doo.

Tell me about it. Or don't, since I have both and am quite familiar with it. As an autistic, I hate change. As an ADD, I am driven to search new things and places. The resulting conflict made me a geologist. The two characteristics frequently fight each other.

I have plans to make my adult life easier, such as moving to a more nudist-friendly neighborhood. Ever since I heard about naturist colonies and communities, naturism appealed to me.

I wish we live in a world where nudity is socially acceptable everywhere. I just freaking hate clothes. And there are only very few types of clothes that I actually like, and my height (I am 5' 11" and still growing) already makes finding clothes for me difficult enough!

I have the fashion sense of the average garden slug. I have always maintained that clothes have two functions. 1: Keep a person warm when it is cold, 2: Keep a person from getting arrested when it is hot. Clothes as decorations, I just don't get.

As an autistic, I hate change. As an ADD, I am driven to search new things and places.
I'm not officially diagnosed with ADHD, but I have traits and can totally relate to this. Yes, I feel like I have two opposing forces inside battling it out - I even had a name for it when I was younger and before I knew about ADHD and ASD - the push-pull effect. I was drawn to things but at the same time repelled. I used to seek stimulation, and then not be able to cope with it, in a constant cycle.

Tell me about it Shees ! Ad to that multible other side diagnosis and a small brain damage and yeah :rolleyes:

Its actually a well established fact these days that the common norm of those with ASD or ADHD also often have the other. But as they are so similar & co exist usely the ASD is harder to find for those with ADHD.

The Co-Occurrence of Autism and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children – What Do We Know?

https://www.autismempowerment.org/understanding-autism/co-existing-conditions/

Last edited:
I suppose it's a sibling thing so I don't mean to be harsh, but just from this it seemed like she stated an opinion she has on an issue and you responded by attacking her personally rather than responding to the actual point.
Actually, I believe I did. Asian people literally wouldn't care, since most are sensible people. In fact, Asians are known for their politeness and sense of humor.
And what medication do you take? Does it help much?
I take aderall. It only helps to increase my attention span. It is commonly prescribed to people with ADD and ADHD. For it's intended purposes, it helps a decent amount. But I'm clearly not wanting to settle for just a "decent" amount of help . . .

I use CBD oil to help me sleep at night. During the day, I use it for my anxiety. I don't want anybody to suggest to smoke weed, though. That is both illegal in my state (weed is illegal in South Carolina, even for medical purposes), and I want to keep my lungs completely free of cancer.
You sound a bit like me when I was your age, no medication, minus the nudity but maybe throw in masturbating HAHA And I had a habit of just leaving class and school. Security was terrible. And teachers often had me sit at their desks. Many gave up and just let me sleep or go to the restroom and not come back. I couldn't understand how people could sit there for that long and then go do it again in another room. 'Twas maddening!

Now, I can sit still close to two hours before wanting to kill someone! :eek::D
I see what I mean. Sounds like an awful school.

However, I don't masturbate. I'm abstaining. Saving the juice for when I have kids.

Clothes are something I tolerate. I tend towards the same look daily.
Wow. You must have a high amount of tolerance. I can only dream of tolerating my clothes that much. My mom and dad actually lets me go around the house without a shirt on whenever there are no friends or family members visiting.
Nude beaches,and shooting ranges: what's not to love about that?
I don't know about everybody else, but I think that there is nothing to dislike there!
I have been to nude beaches, gone nude in the woods swimming too. I love that.
Wow. I actually imagine a peaceful scene in the middle of forest of me, by myself, naked, dipping right into a slow-running stream. Since I have an active imagination, I even felt the feel of cold water. And I heard the sound of birds chirping for a second, too. Such a peaceful, calming scene once you imagine it.
I am not a good shot with a gun [neurology problems] but I can see where being nude would make that enjoyable too.

I did shoot clay pigeons once off a boat and did okay with that. But that was before my neurology messed up how my eyeballs [now do not] work together.
Ah, I shot clay pigeons with a shotgun (on land), but missed every single one. Mostly because I suck at tracking.

However, when I shot non-moving targets with a handgun or rifle, I did pretty great!

Actually, I believe I did. Asian people literally wouldn't care, since most are sensible people. In fact, Asians are known for their politeness and sense of humor.

I take aderall. It only helps to increase my attention span. It is commonly prescribed to people with ADD and ADHD. For it's intended purposes, it helps a decent amount. But I'm clearly not wanting to settle for just a "decent" amount of help . . .

I use CBD oil to help me sleep at night. During the day, I use it for my anxiety. I don't want anybody to suggest to smoke weed, though. That is both illegal in my state (weed is illegal in South Carolina, even for medical purposes), and I want to keep my lungs completely free of cancer.

I see what I mean. Sounds like an awful school.

However, I don't masturbate. I'm abstaining. Saving the juice for when I have kids.

That's all Adderall does for you?? I get so many benefits that I probably have a psychological attachment to it! And there are so many medications for ADHD, maybe a change or addition would help. I take wellbutrin and buspar, not necessarily for ADHD, but they're meant to help that, as well.

That's all Adderall does for you?? I get so many benefits that I probably have a psychological attachment to it! And there are so many medications for ADHD, maybe a change or addition would help. I take wellbutrin and buspar, not necessarily for ADHD, but they're meant to help that, as well.
That, and it helps reduce my irritability.

How is your experience with having to wear clothes over something over a longer period of time? for me it starts to feel like little pressure is much harder than it is and gets really itchy

btw your age is still 15 on your biography

Last edited:
How is your experience with having to wear clothes over something over a longer period of time? for me it starts to feel like little pressure is much harder than it is and gets really itchy
I can only wear loose fitting cotton or cotton/elastic compression clothing for the times when my skin is crawling. Showers are the worst, Just a sensory overload waiting to happen for me so I must force myself to take them then lay down for thirty minutes to an hour to recover from them. I got regular "spankings" from my father for ripping or cutting tags out of my clothing from as young as I can remember until I was in my mid teens when he finally realized no matter how much he hit me it bothered me less than the clothing tags did.

The world IS distracting. Oh wait maybe that's MY ADHD talking. Hmm. Yes it is difficult. I've never been officially diagnosed with anything except for anxiety, but I know I have what I know I have, whatever "they" wanna label it. Not into the nude thing personally(way too self conscious) I like clothing but it Must be comfy. I happen to be an excellent shot with a gun. Shooting nude though, um no. What if things go awry and your junk gets hurt? Lol
Well, unless you are using a PS90, the shells are usually being ejected away from your junk.

btw your age is still 15 on your biography
Same as you. Also, thanks for the tip. I'll edit it soon.

I can only wear loose fitting cotton or cotton/elastic compression clothing for the times when my skin is crawling. Showers are the worst, Just a sensory overload waiting to happen for me so I must force myself to take them then lay down for thirty minutes to an hour to recover from them. I got regular "spankings" from my father for ripping or cutting tags out of my clothing from as young as I can remember until I was in my mid teens when he finally realized no matter how much he hit me it bothered me less than the clothing tags did.
Yeah. I also cut tags and other uncomfy protrusions from my clothes. My parents are alright with it, though.

Also, showers actually tend to calm me down. Especially with hot water. And I mean steaming hot. However, I hate taking cold showers and baths. I do like swimming when the water is cool, though.

New Threads

Top Bottom