• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you met another Aspie in real life?

How/when did you find out he had Aspergers Syndrome? Have you seen him since that first encounter?

I have never met another person in real life who has Aspergers. Two close friends, whom are brothers, have another brother and sister on the spectrum. However, they are much younger than me and I have never met them. It would be interesting to meet someone who also has Aspergers and is around the same age as me.

Nobody that I know of, although I suspect that a few people I knew in college may have been undiagnosed aspies. I also have a couple of family members who may be undiagnosed aspies, but I'll probably never know. One seems kind of borderline. He's someone who would be grievously offended if you suggested that he had a mental disorder, so I doubt he'll ever get diagnosed (how common is it for over-60 people to get diagnosed?).

It is not that common for over-60 people to get diagnosed, but it does happen.

Anyways, I met other ASD and Asperger's like folk in real life. :) They all right people. ^_^; They happen to be my friends too. No matter what happens, I can always count on 'em.

@Google, that is not a nice way to treat somebody. Anybody.

This thread is a refreshing contrast from what you get in some places, with posters claiming that most of the people they know are aspies and that they can spot an aspie in the shopping mall based on their gait and their facial expressions.

I've known one guy who was an absolute textbook aspie. Another who was close to being a textbook aspie. And a handful of people who have some aspie traits. And I'm 45 years old, so I've worked with a lot of people and interacted with a lot of people in that time.

I'm sure some people I've met in real life are on the spectrum, but nobody has flat-out told me that they have Asperger's before. However, I haven't been part of any social circles since the early 2000s. AS is a lot more well-known than it was back then.

there are various people i would strongly suspect, but one i know for sure i was very good friends with in highschool and now a year after i found out i have mild asperger's syndrome he found out he has asperger's syndrome. it's very interesting. another online friend who i have not met in person i basically diagnosed...he found out he has it too. i found out i had it myself actually from another good friend (i have not met in person) plus jerry and mary newport (mozart and the whale). for some of us, asperger's is best understood by observing another aspie... with whom we relate...?

Yes I did meet some of them in real life but they not really my close freinds but i do talk to them now and then

I've been wondering what it would be like to have aspie friends. Our interactions could be a little awkward . . .

I've been wondering what it would be like to have aspie friends. Our interactions could be a little awkward . . .

You would probably find the opposite. What makes our interactions with NTs awkward is the fact that they are baffled by our lack of awareness of social cues and such. Which is a problem that you probably wouldn't have with another aspie.

What you might find is that you might struggle to maintain friendships with aspies over time. I know that I am terrible at "staying in touch" with friends if I am not working with them or seeing them on a regular basis, and it is always the non-aspie in the friendship who makes the effort to stay in touch.

My wife and I know somebody who we are almost sure is an Aspie. He does things a bit differently than I do though, because he has a lot more trouble with things like eye contact. As a matter of fact, the first time I met him, he never looked me in the eye once, not even when I was talking to him or he was talking to me. He also has an extremely flat affect, whereas mine isn't quite as flat, but it can be at times. It was a bit odd trying to interact with him, he was better with my wife though because he has known her for a lot longer and he obviously has developed a trust with her. The most recent time we met up with him, he actually looked at me a few times, so I think he's starting to develop more trust with me too.

I have one sort of friend who may possibly be on the spectrum. She definably has some sort of difference, I don't think I would dare ask her. She is about 30 and lives with her parents and doesn't drive. I do know she went to a special school, she has social anxiety, she will not talk to me unless I go talk to her first, even though we chat all the time online. I told her if she sees me somewhere, and I don't talk to to her to wave at me, or text me. She seemed not to remember or recognize my face a few times. It's hard for her to talk to people she doesn't know well, but she's very talkative online, and when we spend some time together IRL. We got to be friends because her mom is in my cycling club, and we both like punk rock. I have talked to her about some of my problems with noise sensitivity, and not being able to process non-verbal ques well, and things like that. I even discussed a meltdown with her. I may be entirely mistaken, she may have some other issue. I know a lot of aspies want to label people around them also, but I honestly don't know what to think about her. I'll probably just let it go and never ask.

I've never met anybody I knew to have Asperger's but I did meet somebody with high functioning autism once. I was at an Aikido (a not-so-martial art) conference, and she was one of the other people there. She was a sort of "conference buddy" that I talked with when we weren't doing the training portion of the conference. I remember that she told me she had autism and that she was having trouble avoiding the fluorescent lights in the conference room. She also told me that she had trouble interacting with people, and after that I was a little worried - should I go up and talk to her whenever I felt like it, or would that bother her? In retrospect, I think I should have just asked her.

I have a cousin, a nephew, and my son that I know that has AS. As well as a guy I work with and my son's father.

I have met other people with Asperger's at conferences, but that is about the only place. And of course, I know kids who are autistic because I work with their parents. There are people that I have known that I have suspected have Aspergers, but generally it is hard to find someone my age who is open about it outside of a conference setting.

Iv'e met one once, he was in my previous school, He got help in school and was in a house outside of school which was teaching for students with special needs, I was lucky not to go there.

Top Bottom