• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

have you ever hidden from argument in the next room?

Is it just me though, or in such situations, do we "feel" the emotions of the room (even if we can't put words to it) a lot more strongly than perhaps the people actually involved?
Like if someone says they've had a bad day, or if we detect their language or tone of voice expresses an emotion (even if we can't pick up on subtleties of face or body language), then we FEEL it. Partly why I try to avoid the situations because even if I'm not involved, I come away feeling terrible just being a witness to it.
That's a possibility. I can be in the best mood and then someone come in after a bad day and I feel awful. I got into a little bit of a debate once with someone who was saying other people can not affect your moods. I could not get how he could even say that, but maybe it was true for him - but definitely not for me.

This happens to me all the time. It happened just a couple days ago! The worst is when you’re in a car while it’s happening, so you can’t escape...

Frequently, especially back when I lived with my Parents full time.

We'd have a "Barney" and I'd be banished to my room for the rest of the night, the worst argument we had recently was just over 3 years ago, the day they put me on ESA and I had the dreaded assessment, I was in the mood from hell that day anyway because I trust the judgement of Job Centre Plus about as far as I could throw one of their useless "Advisers", and the meeting was a disaster, I came out with Mum and Dad fuming and was like "what the hell just happened?" and went into a total meltdown right in the centre of the City.

Last edited:
Frequently, especially back when I lived with my Parents full time.

We'd have a "Barney" and I'd be banished to my room for the rest of the night, the worst argument we had recently was just over 3 years ago, the day they put me on ESA and I had the dreaded assessment, I was in the mood from hell that day anyway because I trust the judgement of Job Centre Plus about as far as I could throw one of their useless "Advisers", and the meeting was a disaster, I came out with Mum and Dad fuming and was like "WTF just happened?" and went into a total meltdown right in the centre of the City.
Yes, growing up there were lots of yelling and I'd be hiding in a corner in my bedroom.

If I'm being 100% honest, in my experience the person having the heated argument has been me. I'm more on the extroverted side and I think not being diagnosed before my teen years probably didn't help matters.

I've matured a lot since then, fortunately, and so far I haven't ever witnessed any arguments between other people that I can think of. I don't know why, but I can't complain either.

My parents used to argue on the phone a ton. That was extremely annoying. One time I had enough and took the phone away from my mother and told her to shut up. It actually stopped after that, thankfully.

My greatest fear while observing an argument or participating in an argument isn’t loosing the arguement or feeling awkward; it’s words that are said that can never ever be taken back.

In my mind, the devastation that words can have when anger and frustration cloud the mind are of monumental significant and the negative impact can last multiple generations.

It’s my opinion that good judgement in the form of solid word selection has been replaced with the right to be heard ... the need to “win” .... excessive pride no matter what foul thing is said to someone we supposedly care deeply about.

I believe that words are windows to the soul and they tell the rest of the actual story especially when anger and frustration replace clear thinking and emotional volleys are launched back and forth ... words are fired that rip at trust and loyalty; they can break and bruise to the point where complete healing may not be achievable.

My greatest fear while observing an argument or participating in an argument isn’t loosing the arguement or feeling awkward; it’s words that are said that can never ever be taken back.

In my mind, the devastation that words can have when anger and frustration cloud the mind are of monumental significant and the negative impact can last multiple generations.

It’s my opinion that good judgement in the form of solid word selection has been replaced with the right to be heard ... the need to “win” .... excessive pride no matter what foul thing is said to someone we supposedly care deeply about.

I believe that words are windows to the soul and they tell the rest of the actual story especially when anger and frustration replace clear thinking and emotional volleys are launched back and forth ... words are fired that rip at trust and loyalty; they can break and bruise to the point where complete healing may not be achievable.
I soooo agree with what all you said. I've always told people I would never want to make anyone feel the way I've been made to feel and that's what I try to live by.
And also when speaking about someone in anger. I know my mom said some things to my kids during their teen years when they were not too happy with me. The saddest thing ever is when I realized that, although my mom was gone, the damage was still there and she was the only one who could fix it but isn't here to do so. So we never know what we may say that the damage will continue long after we're gone.

Another big shout of agreement from here George. Choice of words are so important. I have been so tremendously hurt by words in the past. Because of my memory for conversations, they can haunt me and I have more than once related to somebody something incredibly hurtful only for them to shrug it off because "That was weeks/months/years ago" as if that excuses it.

As I said on another platform recently...
Verbal sticks and stones come in many forms, and whilst they may not break our bones, they can break our hearts.

New Threads

Top Bottom