• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you been called a pessimist?

disconnected

V.I.P Member
I get called a pessimist often. I counter by saying no, I’m a “realist”. I often describe things as I see them happening. It seems people often like to lie to each other and say what they want to hear. I would just prefer to describe things truthfully.

Yes. Its true. Pessimists frequently rationalize it by calling themselves realists.

There's lots of people on the other end, the 'optimists'.

Both are equally off true center.

Oh yes. And I'm actually quite proud to be a pessimist in a world that tries to force us to smile and look on the bright side of everything. Even a train wreck.:smilingimp:

Expect things to go wrong and you'll never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised.

I'm a pessimist and not a realist because I see pessimism as a useful tool for seeing what could go wrong and how to prevent it. The focus is on what could happen; seeing all those possibilities so that you can steer things in a positive direction. It's constructive.

I won't even get started on what realism actually is, because you know what they say: "When in Rome, don't piss in their fountains."

Yes I do called this,I try to say realist but my husband says I’m just negative.

I’m more often called too naive, way too optimistic, oblivious to reality, and just so the universe is in balance, I’m also called Debbie Downer, pessimistic and paranoid.
There is no pleasing some people! Uh oh, was that pessimistic? Lol.

“The emperor has no clothes” we need people who can state the obvious but in many instances those needing to embrace the obvious simply don’t want to accept it. Continue to be honest and be a voice for the truth. IMO the challenge is in the delivery. In the emperors new clothes the truth spoken thru the small child is stark and is seen as brash by those who are insecure enough to speak the truth. I think that when those around us penguin-hole someone as being a pessimist they are really saying, “your being negative”. Maybe they are perceiving this in you based on the delivery and maybe what is lacking is speaking truth coupled with a solution or additional context. “The emperor has no clothes. We love the emperor so let’s descretely help the emperor see the truth and regain his senses.” Delivering realistic truth in the context of care will in most instances be embraced in a positive way. I’m not saying this is the case for you but maybe so. It is so in my experience and I have been able to soften how those around me receive my assessment of the situation. I hope this helps. Of course, as is in most instances here on the forum, your post has inspired me to redouble my efforts be aware of how my realistic assessments are received. Thank you. This is a really good post. I’m glad you shared it. Thanks again.

Yes, I often am told that I'm too negative or pessimistic, when, in my mind, I'm just being realistic.

Actually, no I have not been called pessimist, but I am tending towards being a realist. With a dash of being an idealist lol

I do have a negative personality; but strive to be as positive as I can be.

Yes, I've been called that.
I say I'm a realist, but, agree @Gritches that if you are pessimistic you'll never be disappointed, just
pleasantly surprised.
I can see where it can be used as a tool for what can go wrong too, by using it to see all possible
outcomes and using it in your favour.

Yes I tend to be a "glass half empty" kind of person, but I think that's a more practical way to view things. If it turns out to be half full, that's a bonus. My brother, on the other hand, is the eternal optimist. Consequently he keeps waiting for the universe to magically provide while doing nothing to make it happen. At 61 he is working as an Uber driver because he hasn't been able to find another marketing job since he quit his last one 10 years ago believing he'd just walk into another one and has absolutely nothing to show for 45 years in the workforce. I know who I'd rather be.

I used to see and take in all the negative things I see in the world, then point them out to the people around me. I realized though that even if I was correct, nobody really cared like I did. So now I try not to focus on things that harm me mentally like I was before. It takes great effort, but it can be done.

I've been called a Victor Meldrew, grumpy old UK comedy star played by Richard Wilson back in the early 90's.

Last edited:
Yep, forever being called pessimistic. But, it works for me. If I think the worst, it an't get any worse and anything better is a bonus. I don't understand people who think postively all the time - surely when things go wrong they suffer more than if they assumed the worst?

My husband says I'm an optimist, but I do believe that's because he's the pessimist. Things are as they are. I don't usually spend my time thinking about what could/will/might happen. Every now and then though I have one of those days where everything goes wrong.. I'm quite pessimistic on those days. :rolleyes:

At first, I misread this question as "peasant." In fact, I have been called a peasant.

As for being called a pessimist -- I have. At times I am optimistic, but others I am pessimistic. I'm not rationalizing myself as being "realistic." If I'm being realistic, I know I can achieve just about anything (except medical school, becoming next-in-line in the Bolivarian regime of Venezuela, conquering the world... OK, so in other words, anything within reason). When I'm pessimistic, it's because I'm depressed and just being unnecessarily negative and sour. That's how it is for me anyways.

People think I’m mean and negative. I assume it’s becuase I don’t really smile a lot and have resting B face. But I’m not negative. Sometimes I’m happy and optimistic and people still think I’m negative because I’m not smiling or bouncing around with happy excitement. I don’t know.

New Threads

Top Bottom