• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

have you been asked

Oh yes, so many times, I have lost count. It is always crushingly embarrassing to me, because I have always wanted to be quiet and dainty, since a child, but because I do not hear myself getting loud, unless it is pointed out to me, I do feel stupid, in truth.

I tend to get loud when animated with a subject or going through a meltdown.

Yes, at the drop in centre for aspies I attended before lockdown another service user asked a service user to be less loud, even a member of staff, I hear people being loud in public too and a lot of aspies have sensory issues so loud noises can be negative for them

Not so much asked, as, instructed.
Specifically when much younger.

The urge doesn't dissipate just because the volume has to.
Tend to observe and discover events where excitement and volume is acceptable :)

All the time. I have no idea how loud my voice is and am frequently interpreted as yelling, especially when I'm *excited* about something. I'm not angry, stressed, or anxious (as is often believed), I'm simply passionate about whatever it is I'm talking about. Cue what is often heard by others as screaming. (Also cue wild gesticulations, I've accidentally hit people before if they're standing beside me LOL.)

My mother asked me if I was hard of hearing one time and suggested I should get a hearing test because my voice is so loud. (I have yearly hearing tests at work and my hearing is actually better than expected for my age group and occupation. I can hear certain frequencies at 0 decibels, which kind of amazes people.)

I'm usually told that I need to talk louder, then when I talk louder I'm told I need to be quieter. Volume control isn't something I'm great at.

I do have issues with volume control sometimes. I speak louder or softer than I want to, and I don't realize it. But I also don't talk very much, so people usually ask me to speak up or speak more.

New Threads

Top Bottom