• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Haunting Horrifics: "Salad Fingers", a symbol of what could be "dark autism"?

Ah, I used to love this, back in the day. Don’t see any autism symbolism about it though, just a deliciously surreal animation.

Part of what's displayed in this series is heavy disassociation. When reality becomes too much to bare the brain reconstructs what you experience through the senses. It also fits with the theme, all is lost during the war. There could be some autistic quarks maybe but this series was released long before autism became so popularized. It's debut was on Newgrounds if i'm not mistaken about 15 years ago. When the internet was new, exciting and fresh.

Never have seen it.
Makes me think of Edward Scissor Hands.
Portraying the darkness of the internal being through
outward illustrations.

I just looked at a few seconds of it , I cant watch that this so weird and creepy I feel uncomfortable xD.

Ill try to watch a bit more later.
What is this about?

I lost my mind at the part where a kid ends up in his oven and HE MISTAKES HIM FOR A FISH BEING COOKED.

(sniff) "
That fish smells about done."

I'm wracked.

Mistaking the aroma of human flesh cooking for the
smell of fish is pretty off.

I have read that human flesh most resembles pork.

Have you seen the one where a tumor shoots out of his chest and he perceives it to be his child? Not only that but he uses it to clean a window like it's a squeegee. (I think i spelled that wrong)

From what I know 'Salad Fingers' is about 'delusions' caused by severe post-traumatic stress disorder. You may want to watch some theory vids about it. It's a real interesting insight into how fragile human mind could be.

It's a surreal and highly metaphorical series and perceiving it literally is rather pointless unless you're seeking only something to disturb you greatly.

Meet Salad Fingers, a mentally ill, thin, salad-fingered homunculous who lives in a desolate world during "The Great War". What can i say about this guy?

T-t-take a look for yourself...

I am so glad you turned me on to Salad Fingers.I watched the whole thing transfixed! Throughly LOVED it! Thank you!

Nothing so weird since the movie “Erasurehead.” I definitely saw the PTSD thing, but I also saw some autism aspects to it with the obsessive rubbing and tonguing of rusty spoons, for example. I could also see that the extreme imagination, fantasy world, and play with the puppets as an autism aspect to some people.

I did not know this was 15 years old. It is modern, and not dated.

Last edited:
Mistaking the aroma of human flesh cooking for the
smell of fish is pretty off.

I have read that human flesh most resembles pork.

My father was in WWII Germany, and said that every night during his station there he could smell the burning bodies from the Nazi camps wafting in the air. He said it smelled horrible.

Definitely not autism. It's just not, and there is a very dark complicated story here with topics like child abandonment, war, multiple personalities/disassociation, and PTSD. Film theory had a really good explanation IMO, so i'd recommend you watch that. "Dark Autism" isn't a thing. Anyone can do "dark" things, and I really hate it when people try to lump us autistics into the "evil" mental illness stereotypes, which in themselves aren't usually accurate or realistic.

Definitely not autism. It's just not, and there is a very dark complicated story here with topics like child abandonment, war, multiple personalities/disassociation, and PTSD. Film theory had a really good explanation IMO, so i'd recommend you watch that. "Dark Autism" isn't a thing. Anyone can do "dark" things, and I really hate it when people try to lump us autistics into the "evil" mental illness stereotypes, which in themselves aren't usually accurate or realistic.

Obsessions with touch and taste happen very clearly with autistic children on the lower end of spectrum and even on higher levels. I can see, as do others here, some autistic attributes. Clearly it’s about ptsd, and dissasociative identity disorder, but some don’t know what those are, but they DO know autistic sensory issues. If some see that, why argue? People interpret things as they will, making sense out of it as they feel.

There is no one way to interpret Salad Fingers, as there is no one way to interpret a Salvatore Dali painting. While I am an occasional fan of reading film theory, it certainly is not everyone’s thing. Let people interpret things as they want to. There is no right or wrong way to interpret art or creativity- despite what film theory professors teach.

New Threads

Top Bottom