• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hatred of team sports

Hi Soup-you are right team sports require skill sets many of us just could not muster-I remember those good old days when I was always the last to be picked on any school team or games-well that's not true if i was last i wasn't picked at all -they just had to accept me on their team- I remember almost scoring at rugby for the first time but did a Forest Gump and kept running!! team tactics just did nott make sense to me at all -they all seemed to know what they were on about. volley ball was interesting-basketball is just plain confusing -why not just make the court bigger!

I second Christian T,s comment -great post Soup-but where did that come from?- I think I may have just been censored for the first time as I had a mad thought and ran with it. sometimes i do not know where to put my post

Last edited:
Oh regarding team sports:

My favourite sport should be soccer. Either the ball is in, or it is not.

But I don't enjoy team sports because there are always certain sports that 'suck', say, perhaps, badminton. I feel quite weird with a racket and all those reflexes. And we do two-to-two badminton games. I always feel bad losing because I missed the return serve.

That's a tough skillset for Aspies to manage. Hats off to you, ChristianT if you can pull it off!

The worst sport for me was volleyball. I was ridiculously small & skinny as a teen & the other girls were all so much bigger boned & taller than I. The ball would come crashing at me as if it had been shot from a cannon & the teacher actually expected me to stand right in its path & let it land on my inner wrists! What kind of a nut did he think I was?!? I kept leaping out of the way & covering my head whenever that ball came crashing. Another weird rule in that sport is that the ball has to be hit from one team mate from another before someone hits it over the net. I could never keep track of whom to hit it to, how many times it had bounced from person to person & whose turn it was to send it over the net. Then, for no apparent reason, the teacher would make us rotate & change positions. The inventors ov volleyball must've been hopped up on hallucinogens!

I can manage those skills with the more sincere, humble people who are of a similar personality type to me. But not those egotistical extroverts - they just make my head spin.

I was also always ducking for cover - some call it ungainliness, I call it sensible survival instinct.

Lastly, I think the inventors were probably on depressants if they can be so calm about a rock-hard sphere of inflated rubber rocketing towards you!

I feel exactly like you. I detest and deplore any form of team sports. I always have. It is such a waste of time, pointless and obscene. No thank you.

I have never had any interest in playing/following team sports, not simply because I'm a bit unco. I don't know whether it is because
  • my parents never encouraged me
  • I'd be the last person picked to join a school team
  • I feared making a fool of myself
  • I could never master the rules
  • I'd prefer to watch the grass grow than kick the ball
  • I just don't get the point, or understand the attraction
  • or perhaps it's an autistic trait
The only sport I've been remotely interested in playing/watching is tennis. I also believe that Australian football players are dreadful role-models to children with all their fighting, sledging, and dangerous quadriplegia-inducing tackles in matches. (I don't know if this is as much a problem in other countries.) This hatred of team sport makes me a social outcast.

Am I alone in this?:S

And for my first two years of High School I flunked gym class for two years straight. How is it possible to flunk gym class, you may ask? I absolutely refused to participate. I had straight A's in all other classes but not gym class. What a waste of time!

I have always hated team sports. As a child I was forced to play baseball at family picnics and I was totally miserable. I was scorned for not enjoying playing with the people around me. I am very intellectually competitive, but have very little interest in beating someone else in any other capacity. I understand the need for being a "team player" at work but take no pleasure in playing with a team and not being the highest scorer. If I work hard at something I want to be able to see clear proof that I did well. I am furious at the number of sporting events on TV. I pay for my DISH connection and it drives me nuts when a sporting event preempts or delays a program I want to watch. The fact that many fans actually love violence in sports makes me feel sad about the development of the human race.

And for my first two years of High School I flunked gym class for two years straight. How is it possible to flunk gym class, you may ask? I absolutely refused to participate. I had straight A's in all other classes but not gym class. What a waste of time!

My aunt failed a portion of her gym class in grad school for refusing to do...whatever it was that looked like to her "like stomping snakes." Possibly Movement/Interpretive Dance.

Last edited:
Despised sport at school,I use to hate being forced to do it, then while being forced to do it being screamed at by other kids and teachers for not hitting the ball or being slow,then the fact that I constantly got hit in the face by either a soccer or basketball was just great,but just the whole mentality of sports gets me because Australia is one of those sports crazy countries and if you don't like sport your already an outsider also I was called a no hoper by a girl at my high school because she knew I hated sport.

I don't know if I loathe anything more than sports. I can't watch them. I can't play them. I can't even speak of them. Maybe it's because I'm bad at them, or maybe because I don't understand the attraction to them one bit. I hated gym class, I hated playing baseball when I was young, I hated doing track, and so many more things.

I don't like objects whizzing by my head either. I tried once to take racquetball lessons and spent most of my time crouched by the wall, holding my hands over my head. Got my money back though!

Not to mention I have been hit by stray balls many times from passing by groups of people playing. NO THANK YOU!

Am I the only aspie who doesn't have anything against sports? Yeah, you get roughed around a bit, but it can be fun if you forget why you're doing it and just have a good time. Idk though, early detection and plenty of resources helped me get things like occupational therapy and special PE in my early years, I eventually learned to adapt and even enjoy regular PE

Am I the only aspie who doesn't have anything against sports? Yeah, you get roughed around a bit, but it can be fun if you forget why you're doing it and just have a good time. Idk though, early detection and plenty of resources helped me get things like occupational therapy and special PE in my early years, I eventually learned to adapt and even enjoy regular PE

I think what I dislike about sports are team sports. I did gymnastics, taekwondo, kendo and bellydance. Team sports have so much social rules attached to them which is partly why I HATE team sports plus the awful experiences with team sports that I had as a child and teen.

Ok, I can understand that, they're are social rules involved with team sports and autistics rarely find themselves able to adapt to that. I've had a good time in basketball and soccer somewhat. But other than that I find myself just standing there and waiting for the football to come to me. I liked blading and skateboarding better.

When I was at school, they made the girls play netball and I despised it because I was always picked last by the captains, and I was never passed the ball even when I was in a good position. The captains always selected their friends or clique to play, and I was always a loner and and oddball, so I never got chosen. I rather liked athletics, swimming, cycling and long distance running, because I was competing against myself. I enjoyed playing tennis, squash and badminton, when I could find a partner to play against. The school had various sports options, and one of them was rock climbing. This is the thing I enjoyed the most, and even went to an after school club.

I get why people want to play sport - it is social, keeps you fit and you feel good afterwards. What I don't get is this mass hysteria over sports like football and the whole culture of supporting football teams. I don't get why people who don't play or are otherwise involved in the sport would want to spend so much time watching football on TV and get so uptight as to whether a goal should have been allowed or not, or whether a player was offside - it strikes me as being superficial - I can't relate to it and it's not for me because I don't gain any knowledge from it.

When I was a kid, I loved sports like baseball and even wanted to be on teams, but at the time I was girl, so I was limited to sports I didn't like (T-ball, volleyball). I did spend some time on a T-ball team, but it was a disaster. I was a guy (in a girls body, but still very much a guy) forced to play a sport that's a sexist mockery of the sport I did like and I was the oldest and only person in my grade. After that, I became quite attuned to sexism in kids sports and fell out of love with sports in general. To me there should be no difference between boys and girls sports. No difference in playing style, no difference in point distribution, and they should be able to play the exact same sports. It royally pissed me off that girls were forced to play T-ball, while the boys got softball when they're at the same grade level.

I've been getting back into sports as of late. Mostly soccer. I've been following MLS (Go Timbers) and little bit of both the Premiere League and Champions League. I follow because it's a pretty cheap hobby and it's something to do.

New Threads

Top Bottom