• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hate, actually, loath wearing coats and jackets

I also can't stand tight stiff coats. I live in an area where it rains almost every day of the fall/winter/spring, we get biting terrible north wind, and it snows and ices every winter.

I have found that layering an undershirt under a tee shirt and then maybe a loose sweater, and then two to three loose fitting hoodies does the trick in the coldest weather.

What I'm actually panicking about is that I am now wheelchair bound and you don't realize it, but the rain just pours down the back of the wheelchair seat and pools under you. You're also helpless as the rain falls on your whole body as you're just sitting there. There was a rain storm I was stuck in for about ten minutes in mid September. The weather was in the high-sixties, but I still managed to catch hypothermia and get terribly ill.

I need some way to stay dry in my wheelchair for my own health and safety. Any ideas???

I also can't stand tight stiff coats. I live in an area where it rains almost every day of the fall/winter/spring, we get biting terrible north wind, and it snows and ices every winter.

I have found that layering an undershirt under a tee shirt and then maybe a loose sweater, and then two to three loose fitting hoodies does the trick in the coldest weather.

What I'm actually panicking about is that I am now wheelchair bound and you don't realize it, but the rain just pours down the back of the wheelchair seat and pools under you. You're also helpless as the rain falls on your whole body as you're just sitting there. There was a rain storm I was stuck in for about ten minutes in mid September. The weather was in the high-sixties, but I still managed to catch hypothermia and get terribly ill.

I need some way to stay dry in my wheelchair for my own health and safety. Any ideas???
You can buy a poncho type garment that covers an area of the wheelchair and you, it's polyester,it's called a wheelchair poncho rain cover there are different colours

Did you always have a problem with coats and jackets? Did you wear them when you were a kid?

Actually, yes, have ALWAYS been like it. I remember as child, crying because I hated to wear a coat, but in fact, it was my gran who would buy them.

an't stand tight stiff coats

I think, you have "hit the nail on the head" ( yep, do seeing the nail being hit lol). I think I prefer to wear very loose coats. And for a weird reason, I like oversized arm areas; just such a nice feel when the sleeves are over my hands.

Where I live, sizing is very ackward and so, I get a size that I know should fit me and it ends up being too small. So, I suppose I have to try coats on and get a massive size, so that it is not tight fitting.

Coats feel bulky and interfere with movement.
That's why I don't like them.
Thankfully it is never really cold where I live and can usually get by with a pull over sweat shirt
or sweater.
I have a few soft, fuzzy, zip up coats that are light weight for a cool night here.

Casual is what I'm into. And nothing tight when it comes to jackets.
Dressy clothes actually make me feel uptight and uncomfortable. Always have.
Casual is non-descript.

coat.jpg

i feel misdiagnosed but when i was a kid id wear my coat in hot weather, people would try and tear my coat off me it bugged them so much. i remember my teacher in front of the class told me to take it off, everybody in the class held their breath when i did, weird. i saw thisn episode of "Seinfeld" where that girl cant remember her name was wearing this coat and they were all trying to get her to take it off?, i thought, thats what happened to me! i loved Seinfeld.

Last edited:
i feel misdiagnosed but when i was a kid id wear my coat in hot weather, people would try and tear my coat off me it bugged them so much. i remember my teacher in front of the class told me to take it off, everybody in the class held their breath when i did, weird. i saw thisn episode of "Seinfeld" where that girl cant remember her name was wearing this coat and they were all trying to get her to take it off?, i thought, thats what happened to me! i loved Seinfeld.

HA! I did the same thing but it was due to a few severe sunburns that led me to always wear a cardigan, though I would end up getting too hot and having to take it off. I love Seinfeld! Quirky is a favourite trait of mine!

New Threads

Top Bottom