• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hate, actually, loath wearing coats and jackets

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Feel so nasty in them and yet, due to weather conditions and sometimes, having no choice, but go out, terribly inconvenient.

Feel much better wearing an oversized cardigan out doors, but due to the material, not very practical when heavy down pours.

So, after much searching, found a waterproof rain coat, that MIGHT meet my brain's demands lol and a separate rain hat.

I am not a casual person, but elegant out door wear, is not exactly practical in dreadful weather.

Anyone else find this trouble?

Feel so nasty in them and yet, due to weather conditions and sometimes, having no choice, but go out, terribly inconvenient.

Feel much better wearing an oversized cardigan out doors, but due to the material, not very practical when heavy down pours.

So, after much searching, found a waterproof rain coat, that MIGHT meet my brain's demands lol and a separate rain hat.

I am not a casual person, but elegant out door wear, is not exactly practical in dreadful weather.

Anyone else find this trouble?
I bought a cape try a poncho you can get every weight and material possible

Could you wear the cardigan with the raincoat on top? And then take the rain coat off with the cardigan on when indoors?

Found that some exercise jackets are quite warm, and tailored so l don't feel like a blob and very easy to care for. But if you live in Europe, the dress standards are remarkably different. l was shocked to see every age woman straight up to 80+ don exercise pants in LA. And it didn't matter what your weight was, it was totally acceptable to show your rear-end junk. LA has very relaxed standards for dress. So standards have become quite informal. I now live in the land of golf clothes which hides plenty of things and has sun protection and washes and dries before l finish this post.

I wear layers when it's cold outside rather than a a very heavy coat. The layers give me a feeling of having many blankets on which is a sensation that I like. I hope you find outerwear that you feel comfortable in.

My favorite winter jacket I've had for a few years now looks like this:

loki-black-lodur-jacket-large-fully-loaded-with-warmth-and-versatility-130885471077693422.jpg

It's not warm enough on its own for the extreme winter temperatures where I live (that's what the layers of clothing are for), but it has a built in hood, scarf and built in mittens that fold away into the sleeves when I don't need them! The company also makes light "windbreakers" that have the same built-ins including the mittens. I have one of those too for the spring and fall. The reason I like these jackets is because they're easy to configure/modify depending on my needs and the weather.

Maybe something like that would be helpful to you?

What is it about coats and jackets that makes you feel nasty wearing them?

It is a very psychological issue that only a psychological therapist would understand.

I feel just plain gross wearing them.

I have one winter coat and at first, loved it, because I felt elegant in it, but sadly, that changed and I have to try and change the yucky feeling with scarfs.

Could you wear the cardigan with the raincoat on top? And then take the rain coat off with the cardigan on when indoors?

Have tried that, but sadly, doesn't work and only feel sense of relief, when I take the raincoat off.

I wear layers when it's cold outside rather than a a very heavy coat. The layers give me a feeling of having many blankets on which is a sensation that I like. I hope you find outerwear that you feel comfortable in.

My favorite winter jacket I've had for a few years now looks like this:

loki-black-lodur-jacket-large-fully-loaded-with-warmth-and-versatility-130885471077693422.jpg

It's not warm enough on its own for the extreme winter temperatures where I live (that's what the layers of clothing are for), but it has a built in hood, scarf and built in mittens that fold away into the sleeves when I don't need them! The company also makes light "windbreakers" that have the same built-ins including the mittens. I have one of those too for the spring and fall. The reason I like these jackets is because they're easy to configure/modify depending on my needs and the weather.

Maybe something like that would be helpful to you?

Way too casual for me!

I love cold weather (hurt a lot more, but still prefer it over hot) and I love getting to wear jackets, flannel shirts, hoodies and so on. This is my happy season. Although it's not surprising because I like the feel of clothes around me. Summer it's hard to find long pants that are actually not too hot. But I like to feel clothes. But I don't like sleeves hanging below my elbows and always have them rolled up and can't stand anything around my neck.
Suzanne, is it the looks that has to be elegant, and you can't handle casual?

It is a very psychological issue that only a psychological therapist would understand.

I feel just plain gross wearing them.

I have one winter coat and at first, loved it, because I felt elegant in it, but sadly, that changed and I have to try and change the yucky feeling with scarfs.
So is the problem feeling unattractive?

So is the problem feeling unattractive?

The one female I hate ( not even that, more repulsed by) is the one who gave birth to me and for some bizarre reason, I feel like her when I wear coats. I mean: I feel that I turn into her and it is very freaky and makes me feel sick. Now, she did not wear coats, but she was so unhygenic ( yep, a mental issue, but I hate to say that, because it gives her an excuse). However, nether the less, I feel that I turn into her wearing it and therefore, can barely cope wearing them.

and you can't handle casual?

My gran used to say to me, when I asked why is it that I just not interested in getting dirty etc. You are a lady, that is why and I have lived my life like that.

My husband jokes and says that my casual is something that deserves to be taken to a restaurant, however, honestly, it has to be a joke, because all I wear is a more casual version of an elegent attire.

The only ever time I dressed down, was to clean our chicken area out, but since moving, that is left to hubby and so, I only wear my version of casual.

I think I might take after my beloved gran in this regard, because she always dressed lovely, even if she was at home.

I actually tend to feel incomplete without an overshirt or sweater of some sort. But they have to be button- or zip-ups; pullovers feel suffocating to me. In general though, I don't really have any issues with clothing.

I layer thin silk under my clothes when it's cold and wet. Partly because I haven't been able to find a decent coat for the last few years and partly because it just doesn't get cold enough where I live to wear a heavy coat. If I end up needing to take a layer off while I'm out and about, it's a lot lighter to carry a silk shirt than it is to carry a wool overcoat. Silk and wool are like magic in the wet.

I live in the NW, and I would love to find a truly waterproof jacket that will not make me sweat when I wear it.

New Threads

Top Bottom