• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has your Autism changed as you have grown older?

I feel like I've changed significantly. I can adapt much better in the real world now. However, I still don't seem to be a great fit for the real world or the aspie world . . .:/

I have always struggled with sarcasm and understanding when someone is being that way or is actually pissed off at me or just being a smart arse. I have found, that even post diagnosis, that I have less and less patience with people, espicially idiots as I get older. My ablity to cope and recover from being in very social situations is getting worse, or takes me much longer to recover from. I have to deal with it to enjoy my obsession/hobby, but as I have gotten older, it takes me much longer to get my energy level back afterwards. What used to take a few hours of down time, now can take days or even a week to fully recover. Mike

... I don't know for sure if it is worse or if I am now more intensely aware.

It has lately and for the last couple of years or so, surprised me how much of an impact and a sadness and a drain, that loud and/or busy social situations have on me.

I try to help and hope that AC would be a haven from that sort of crud.

As a child it is more expected that children will be different. As we get closer to being an adult, we are more expected to blend in and be like others of our age.

I learned humour through watching comedy to a ridiculous extent, from early teens to right now, I still binge watch comedy and often store up nuances, lines and delivery styles.

I struggle to understand off the cuff humour from other people whether it's directed at me or elsewhere, especially if it's in the middle of a serious conversation.

I wonder if a lot of stand up comics are autistic, as they often talk about learning to be funny, and often live quite solitary lives.

I probably come across as naturally funny, but it's all learned and I didn't understand jokes at all when I was young.

TANGENTS - That's what's got worse as I've got older!

New Threads

Top Bottom