• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone moved far away?

disconnected

V.I.P Member
My wife and I have casually been discussing moving to the Rocky Mountains. It’s a scary thought that doesn’t seem possible, but I think it actually is.

I own my home.

So would it go something like this?

-Pick a location
-find a job
-sell house at previous location
-move to new location

Seems like a precarious thought given the mood of the federal reserve, interest rates and the shadow of global economic uncertainty on a broad scale.

Probably the first thing to do is to assess your present location in terms of a seller's market relative to the place you wish to move to in terms of being a buyer's market.

And whether the comparison of the two fundamentally translates into a plus or minus financial consideration. With the intent to be able to apply a capital gain towards a less expensive home than a more expensive one.

I left California for Nevada specifically with cost of living considerations in mind. But in the last ten years the gap between the two states has shrunken considerably. :(

Moving home to Northern Virginia has not been much of an option given the cost of living and population increases. Though in the last year I've given some thought to moving to Southern Arizona as well. Lower cost of living, but high crime. o_O

Last edited:
My family was always in Virginia, and even when young - I've lived in Montana, Alaska, Utah, Texas, Wyoming and was always happier living far off than close to family - plus in these places I fell in love with the place which made me happy just being there. (I lived in other places on the east coast, but no where is as satisfying as the west).

My wife and I have casually been discussing moving to the Rocky Mountains. It’s a scary thought that doesn’t seem possible, but I think it actually is.

I own my home.

So would it go something like this?

-Pick a location
-find a job
-sell house at previous location
-move to new location
My wife and I moved from the East Coast to the West Coast back in the 80's, and we're very glad we did. We were both confident our job skills could find us jobs after the move. If you're reasonably confident about the financial side, then you can proceed with the rest.

In our case, we decided to rent a townhouse in the new city, so we could get to know the area before deciding what part of town we wanted to buy a house in. Then, we sold the old house, and had a fun time driving across the country while a moving van brought the rest. We ultimately lived in the townhouse for about 18 months. (I believe we had 2 years under the tax laws to re-invest the proceeds from the old house.) It was certainly scary at times, but we survived and you can too.

I did it once and I will never so it again. The stress of relocating from Philadelphia to Phoenix nearly broke me. Moving back east 5 years later was a whole lot easier

I did it once and I will never so it again. The stress of relocating from Philadelphia to Phoenix nearly broke me. Moving back east 5 years later was a whole lot easier

Whew, that's a whole lot of culture shock. Moving from the east coast to the west coast wasn't so easy for me as a kid.

Yes, it sure was culture shock. I'm happy to be back east.... Where I belong

I still think about home....but I know it's not likely given cost alone. :oops:

But I must admit, I do like the desolation of the desert. A consideration of a landscape- not people. :cool:

I changed the place I live in a few times, be it for different city or country. It's a bit different to me since I don't like staying in one place for too long. There is always a culture shock, especially if you travel far away from your previous home, but it's possible. Place to stay, money to survive first few weeks while looking for a new job/ a new job are a must. It is possible but it can also be quite difficult. Still, if you leave your comfort zone, you get to see much more than you would otherwise. It may be worth a shot if you think it through and prepare accordingly. If it doesn't work out, you can always come back.

I know a couple, friends of my cousin. They're like tragic gypsies...always moving in an attempt to find "greener pastures". And in the process having less money each time to move. I wonder what they are really looking for? They had it made in Las Vegas...very nice home. Sad.

We moved when I was 11 to a town a couple hrs. away. I think for you guys a move should be explored in terms of pros and cons. Make the best decision for you and your family.

i've lived in 5 different countries,
a move is supposed to be one of the most stressful things you can do

-1- make absolutely sure you and your wife are 100% on the same page, you really don't want to get there and then start with the 'if only i had known' 'i only moved here because of you' 'i wish we'd stayed' 'i left all my friends behind because of you'....a happy wife is a happy life, an unhappy wife is like having bamboo shoved under your fingernails while sitting on a bed of needles in hell while being forced to listen to incessant complaining (i'm sure it's the same the other way round, ie unhappy husband is misery too)

be 100% aware of what you are leaving behind and whether it will be replaceable in the new city

-2- the job has to be locked down before anything else, even if it means living there on your own until the move can be done, no job, no future

Yes, I moved to a different country!

The most important thing in a move is financial security... so it's best to ensure your income by getting a job first if you can, or otherwise save up enough money to get by for a couple of months at least until you find a job.

Have you been to the Rocky Mts? If you are not familiar with the area, I think a exploratory trip/vacation to the area would be a good idea first.

8596EF92-C30E-4AD9-B78F-3A56E4FEA32E.jpeg
My wife took this one of me just outside of Breckinridge. We where on a 17 day backroad/dirt riding trip. ;)

I prefer to put job first. I would suggest researching the job market.

Please bear in mind that living and working in an area is very different from visiting as a tourist. Definitely look for a job there first, and once you've secured an offer you might be able to get some advice from your prospective co-workers about the relative merits of neighbourhoods within the travel-to-work area. Alternatively, if you're a university graduate see if your alumni association has a regional branch. Although IME alumni associations are mostly composed of retired people, so maybe not...

When I was just turned 17, I left home for the first time for College, moved over to what was then known as South Humberside, now North East Lincolnshire to a small Town called Grimsby

It's not THAT far away really, only just over an hour in the car.

New Threads

Top Bottom