• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hand flapping.

Do you flap your hands?

• Total voters
I used to hand flapped as a child but I don't do it now. Sometimes I pace but mostly I rub my hands together, smell my hands, rub my knuckles against my mouth or rub my head (if I'm agitated I'll scratch my head vigorously).

I hand flap when excited, feel my hair, pace and relentlessly pick the skin on my lips. I wich I could get rid of the latter.

I do. And I keep in my purse, something like this, for when I'm in a crowded situation, and I need to get out nervous energy in a quiet, controlled manner. I call it "Infinite Bubble Wrap". I can just have my hand in my purse, sitting quietly, and be silently popping bubbles. It helps me listen too. Knitting is another good one.

It's very effective in scary situations, like when a bus or train has someone behaving in a belligerent manner. I don't have any embarrassing outbursts, and I can control the fight or flight response to flee the bus.

Let's say I'm at church, I won't hear or absorb very much of what the pastor is saying at all, unless I'm moving my hands. My mind will wander so easily. So I often bring a craft project to work on in my seat, or I just reach in my purse and pop the infinite bubble wrap. It helps me focus.

1670437214488.png

Mine is really subdued and close to my sides when I do. I was conditioned by my parents not to stim, "Don't do that! People will think there's something wrong with you!" So my stimming became more covert with stretching my pinky and thumb way out...it helped in hiding my stimming and lessened the abuse. In manic/panic mode, pacing, rocking and verbal outbursts happen...then sleep. I've punched holes in plenty of walls and doors when I've become overwhelmed...it's extremely difficult maintaining composure at that point.

I can chew gum vigorously. That provides relief. I can't control slapping my body, if l think nobody is around. I have even jumped up and down. But l have always explained this to myself as l am passionate about life. I do now notice other people stimming now.

I've heard head scratching can be a stim? I certainly do that.

I will also come clean here, I talk to myself an awful lot. So there it is! :smilecat: Not sure if that would be considered a stim but at least I can say that I'm in the same company as Albert Einstein, if not intellectually lol!

why does this song and most of the splatoon 3 soundtrack trigger my stimming?
Could it be that the rhythm suits your own body's rhythm?

I just listened to it myself, not the sort of music I like but the beat moved me.

I do. And I keep in my purse, something like this, for when I'm in a crowded situation, and I need to get out nervous energy in a quiet, controlled manner. I call it "Infinite Bubble Wrap". I can just have my hand in my purse, sitting quietly, and be silently popping bubbles. It helps me listen too. Knitting is another good one.

It's very effective in scary situations, like when a bus or train has someone behaving in a belligerent manner. I don't have any embarrassing outbursts, and I can control the fight or flight response to flee the bus.

Let's say I'm at church, I won't hear or absorb very much of what the pastor is saying at all, unless I'm moving my hands. My mind will wander so easily. So I often bring a craft project to work on in my seat, or I just reach in my purse and pop the infinite bubble wrap. It helps me focus.

View attachment 90847
I’ve seem popits as phone cases and keychains! Also saw a life hack where you coat a PopIt in paint and u can make art with it

Could it be that the rhythm suits your own body's rhythm?

I just listened to it myself, not the sort of music I like but the beat moved me.
Fictional squid/octopus idols that sing in a gibberish language definitely aren’t for everyone.. lol.

I find myself rewinding to certain parts in some of the games songs just to listen to them over and over again. The rhythm definitely suits me.

why does this song and most of the splatoon 3 soundtrack trigger my stimming?
Theres a third Splatoon now?! I'm really out of the loop! The music certainly has quite stimulating rhythm. It kinda wakes you up, I suppose to get you in the mood of the game and a state of readiness.

I remember feeling quite stimulated by the music in Sonic Adventure. It's quite similar but with guitar.

I think they put a lot of work into making music for video games. I think it's to help focus concentration and create a sense of anticipation. Certain music makes me feel quite twitchy, like literally. I can suppress it but not always lol!

Theres a third Splatoon now?! I'm really out of the loop! The music certainly has quite stimulating rhythm. It kinda wakes you up, I suppose to get you in the mood of the game and a state of readiness.

I remember feeling quite stimulated by the music in Sonic Adventure. It's quite similar but with guitar.

I think they put a lot of work into making music for video games. I think it's to help focus concentration and create a sense of anticipation. Certain music makes me feel quite twitchy, like literally. I can suppress it but not always lol!
Sometimes I just listen to the actual background music that’s playing in the moment of a Turf War match as it gives me a sense of encouragement to play the match. Pokémon music also has the same energy.

Sometimes I just listen to the actual background music that’s playing in the moment of a Turf War match as it gives me a sense of encouragement to play the match. Pokémon music also has the same energy.
Never underestimate the amount of thought that goes into Nintendo games and their music! :)

A place where I worked had an exhibition with the N64 Pikachu game, can't remember what it was called exactly but you talk to Pikachu with a microphone. The music on that used to really catch my ear.

I can still hear it now. It sounded quite epic for a simple game. I've heard orchestral versions of it and I think about now just about everyone has heard the orchestral Super Mario music.

Nintendo caught on very early to how important video game music was.

I always quite like the music from the commodore 64 version of Cybernoid. The Amstrad CPC versions have got a pretty cool groove! But my all-time favourite video game music is the Zynaps opening music! It's like 8bit ACDC! That always makes me wanna groove! I can't dance to save my life though!

Here's the Zynaps music, unfortunately there's a slight bug that happens with certain versions and it appears that has happened on this YouTube video, so the beginning doesn't sound as good. But you get the idea! :)

I had made a video almost 4 years ago explaining my hands flapping and why do I do it. Since after I uploaded this video in the start of 2019, nothing has changed.

New Threads

Top Bottom