• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Growing Up in the 9th World

Datura

I am running a role playing game called Numenera. Now, before anybody starts making characters or anything like that I like to give my players a good sense of the world they are inhabiting by doing an intro. The core book has a "Welcome to the Ninth World" section, but it is vary dense, and a bit rambling. The game also takes place in a pseudo medieval setting where ancient advanced technologies take the place of magic.

For this to really work I think that players need to shed their 21st century perspective and look at technology from a much more naive perspective. Unlike Monte Cook (the author of the game) I eschew some of his terms like "Data Sphere" and "Nano Spirits" for more "fantasy" sounding terms such as "Aether" and "Motes" respectively. I think the more NPCs treat tech like magic the better you can sell the whole concept.

The following is something I wrote to take people out of themselves so they can see the world from the perspective of somebody who actually lives in it. I wanted to sell the notion of what is normal in this world and contrast it with that which is not. At the same time I wanted to impart some vital information about the setting without overloading players with information.

Constructive criticism is appreciated.

I want you to imagine you are a kid.

Just and ordinary kid in an ordinary little farming village in The Ninth World.

You don’t have a cell phone or the internet. You don’t know what a car or an airplane are, and you have certainly never heard of “radio” or “electricity.” You’re just an ordinary kid, after all, living with your family in a simple one room cottage. The floor is made of dirt, the roof of thatch, and the walls from land coral and mortar. You have a large fire place and a great big wooden dinner table. The floors are well swept and covered in colorful rugs. Best of all, there is always fresh straw for the beds. Just an ordinary house, and a cozy one at that.

If you ever need water there is a well just a few minutes away. If it gets too dark you can always light a candle or crack a glow globe (if you are lucky enough to have one). You also have the luxury of an outhouse which you share with a couple of your neighbors.

You spend most of your days helping your parents with their duties; tending the fields, feeding the livestock, and tidying up around the house. When you aren’t hard at work you run around with the other children, playing tag and make-believe. You like to explore the nearby coral forests with your friends and go fishing by the creek.

Sometimes, you sneak off to visit Old Nens. She isn’t like other grownups. She’s a reader. She has a big shelf filled with books and scrolls and weird little dolls that cast visions in the air. She delights in telling you tales of faraway times and places. She regales you of the exploits of past kings and emperors, daring heroes, and star crossed lovers. She speaks of arid deserts, deep and mysterious jungles, clouds made of crystal, and vast cities where ships sail on the air.

She says that there were eight worlds before this one, that the people who lived here before were very wise and understood things that we have long forgotten. For one reason or another each of these civilizations disappeared and took their worlds with them. Now we live among their ruins, the legacy of the old worlds written in the very dust.

She also taught you all about The Amber Pope who leads The Order of Truth. She says that the Order studies the past that we may live in a better future. They are also the force that unifies the civilized world. “Without The Pope”, she insists, “all the nations of The Steadfast would descend into war, and before you know it we would be no better than the savages of The Beyond!”

You would love to be a reader like Old Nens, but your father says that books are a waste of time. Whenever you bring it up he tells you, “It’s better to keep your mind in the here and now. And why work so hard just to fill your head with a bunch of fairy tales and useless facts?”

As for his views on the Order of Truth: “The Amber Papacy doesn’t give two licks for poor farmers like us. If you want to put your faith in something”, he advises you, “best place it in your own hard work, then pray to the winds for rain.”

Most of the grownups you know are like your dad. They don’t think about what life was like before they were born, and they don’t imagine things being any different than they are now. Most of them have never traveled more than a day beyond your village, and they never will. About the only time you hear any news from the outside world is when a stranger comes through town.

You think you know why they call them “strangers”. They always wear strange clothes, and speak in strange accents, and travel with strange animals. And some strangers are even stranger than others. You once saw a man with arms and legs completely made out of metal (and no, it wasn’t armor!), another time, a lady with pale lights dancing under her skin.

These travelers often carry magical objects which can do all kinds of wonderful and terrible things. Old Nens calls them “numenera” and says they aren’t really magic at all. Rather, she claims, they were made by the Old Worlders and were no more magic to them than wheels or fire are to us. As far as you are concerned, that is the most magical thing you have ever heard.

Now, I want you to imagine that you aren’t that child. Don’t get me wrong, perhaps you were that child. Or maybe you grew up in one of the places from Old Nens’ books. Either way, you are a different person now, and far from ordinary. Perhaps you are an athletic Glave, an esotery wielding Nano, or a Jack who survives by their wits alone. You are an explorer, traveling the world in search of ancient and powerful artifacts. What wonders will you uncover, and what fantastic adventures will you have along the way?

Welcome to the Ninth World.:cool:

Last edited:
It sounds like a fun game, especially if Monte Cook was involved in the mechanics of it.

My only suggestion would be looking into oil lamps. Depending on how far back you go in history and what region you were in, candles were harder to come by than oil and lots of people had lamps instead.

It's not bad by any means but it is a little too long and I feel like your approach does little to immerse players into the world, if anything it would just keep taking people out of it. For a start, I think you should avoid talking to the player. The piece should be drawing them in and working them into the world, but the constant use of "you" and references to imagination and the real world only remind the reader that they're not part of that world.

I understand you want to establish the setting but after all that text we still don't know what the game is about, only an extended check list of what a child would do, even though the player might not have even been that child. What's the story and the first things we should know about the lore, the foundation of world building? There needs to be something to grip players and potential players, something to get them excited and want to learn more.

Like I said, it's not bad. You get a good number of details in there but it just doesn't do enough. There are too many words for how much information is delivered if that makes sense. How much is important, and how much could easily be learnt playing the game instead of including it at the start?

The forum has a lot of members interested in creative writing, some of them really talented. I'm sure if you shared more information about the game and the setting they could help you come up with something great. That is if you want outside help. I don't run any now but I have experience running play by post RPGs so if yours is an online game I could help you out with that.

It sounds like a fun game, especially if Monte Cook was involved in the mechanics of it.

My only suggestion would be looking into oil lamps. Depending on how far back you go in history and what region you were in, candles were harder to come by than oil and lots of people had lamps instead.
Hmm, oil lamps might be a good idea. Numenera takes place in the far future anyway, and given the nature of the world anachronisms abound. Technology can also differ drastically from one region to an other.

And yes, Monte Cook designed all of the game mechanics. Numenera, and the accompanying Cypher System, are his babies.

It's not bad by any means but it is a little too long and I feel like your approach does little to immerse players into the world, if anything it would just keep taking people out of it. For a start, I think you should avoid talking to the player. The piece should be drawing them in and working them into the world, but the constant use of "you" and references to imagination and the real world only remind the reader that they're not part of that world.

I understand you want to establish the setting but after all that text we still don't know what the game is about, only an extended check list of what a child would do, even though the player might not have even been that child. What's the story and the first things we should know about the lore, the foundation of world building? There needs to be something to grip players and potential players, something to get them excited and want to learn more.

Like I said, it's not bad. You get a good number of details in there but it just doesn't do enough. There are too many words for how much information is delivered if that makes sense. How much is important, and how much could easily be learnt playing the game instead of including it at the start?

The forum has a lot of members interested in creative writing, some of them really talented. I'm sure if you shared more information about the game and the setting they could help you come up with something great. That is if you want outside help. I don't run any now but I have experience running play by post RPGs so if yours is an online game I could help you out with that.

Thanks for the critique. I was actually trying to take a bit of a guided visualization approach with players. My plan was to get my players to close their eyes and relax while I read out loud. My intent wasn't so much exposition as a cleansing of the pallet. I might take your advice and cut any reference to the real world, and maybe edit out a few other details here and there. However, I think I will stick with the second person perspective as I believe it is more immersive in this case.

The lack of detail was in many ways intentional. Many people in this world actually wouldn't have a very good idea of what is out there and discovering that is a big part of the fun. That said, I would probably provide my players with some exposition specific to the campaign I was running. "Growing Up in the Ninth World" is a much more generic introduction.

Overall, I am quite attached to what I have written, but might produce a brand new introduction that incorporates your advice. I just need to find that spark of inspiration. Also; I don't do much creative writing, so collaborating with those who do would be quite beneficial.

Hmm, oil lamps might be a good idea. Numenera takes place in the far future anyway, and given the nature of the world anachronisms abound. Technology can also differ drastically from one region to an other.
Very true. Especially in the oil itself, that has a wide range of origins. Wax I'm not too sure on. Obviously, there were a lot of beeswax candles, so if you characters are in a fairly bee-friendly area that would be a good option. I can't remember the other stuff though, some of it was really weird like flax or something.

Of all the things for me to get fixated on, eh? XD

Very true. Especially in the oil itself, that has a wide range of origins. Wax I'm not too sure on. Obviously, there were a lot of beeswax candles, so if you characters are in a fairly bee-friendly area that would be a good option. I can't remember the other stuff though, some of it was really weird like flax or something.

Of all the things for me to get fixated on, eh? XD
LOL! It's all good.

However, as Numenara takes place a billion years in the Earth's future they may not even have bees, at least not species we would be familiar with. The fact that there are even humans is something of a mystery. Those who have studied the evidence are aware that at one point in time humans went extinct only to reappear at a later date.

Sounds fantastic. Just for reference, you may want to look at an MMO called RIFT (I play that one) It's sort of medieval but there is technology, motes, Macitech (powered by a natural stone called sourcestone) and, Brevanic technology - self powered robots and machines.

There was a cataclysm, near apocalypse - you dies but were ascended (resurrected and made better in every way) either by the Gods, or if you are not of the faith, via machitech and, having your soul placed in a sourcestone enhanced body. So you know who you were but, you certainly aren't that person anymore.

Magictech is loved and trusted by some, loathed and/or feared by others. There is also real magic, mages, and rogues use tech weapons, if they so choose.

Not the same story at all as what you are doing but, it's worth looking at to see how the ideas of technology, niavety about it and magic can be combined in a game, and work well together.

That sounds interesting. I generally don't like MMOs, but I might have to check out the lore.

The next Numenara campaign I run might actually be in a setting of my own invention. In The Ninth World technology is coveted, sometimes even revered with a kind of religious fervor. I would like to put my players in a world inspired by "The Chrysalids" and medieval which hunts, were magic/technology is loathed and feared.

Whereas Numenera takes a "technology as magic" approach, I want to take more of a "magic as technology" approach. I want the world to have started off much like the Earth of antiquity. Then various cultures around the world began to discover magic independently. At first this magic would be quite rarefied, being passed down by shamans or practiced by secret societies. Later, schools of magic would form, gradually opening themselves more and more to the general public. Concurrently knowledge of magic and its power would grow over time.

Eventually magic would become so ubiquitous that pocket dimensions, flight, teleportation, and wards would become mundane. The side effect of this is that with so many magical fields overlapping each other anomalies become increasingly common. Eventually this results in The Great Fall, a cascade of chaotic magic interactions that devastates the world's magical infrastructure, levels cities, and leaves the world a spell warped wasteland, practically over night.

Thousands of years later civilization has rebuilt itself and has little memory of the world before The Fall. The ruins of the ancients are seen as evil places, and merely setting foot in one can be grounds for execution. Despite this, there are those who are driven forward by greed, curiosity, idealism, or a lust for power. They are those who would risk persecution in pursuit of arcane wisdom, and who don't let the fear of arousing some ancient evil stop them from plumbing the depths of the past.

I think the feel of such a game might be very different from Numenera, while still retaining many of the same elements. All of the game mechanics and artifacts from published material would still work quite nicely, perhaps with just a little re-skinning.

Same thing happened in RIft, Defiants, the people that like and trust magitech, wanted to become more powerful, they used magitech to first try and make one race into gods - it destroyed that race save for a handful of survivors. Later, they again wanted power, to stop evil so, they used magitech to gain the power of the dragons (very powerful beings in that world.) This time they caused the wards to fall, releasing the dragons on the world via anomalies called Rifts, and, that ended in the total annihilation of the world as they knew it.

As a player you are sent back in time, after your resurrection, to prevent that disaster.

Where yo are going would be after that fact and trying to rebuild a civilization, so different path but, some similarities.

Here is the forums for Rift, there is a lot of lore discussion there. If you want to play a bit (it's free to play) do me the favor of clicking the second link below and, giving me the referral (I get in game coin for it.) http://forums.riftgame.com/

https://rift.trionworlds.com/accoun...&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ascend_invite

I play as a male Kelari named Adaar on the Faeblight shard (server) so, if you want to find me, that's where to look.

New Threads

Top Bottom