• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello,
For the birds, berry bushes would be good. Birds like bushes to hide from predator birds.

I have a lot of work to do, but I surely will! I'm going to start building the bed tomorrow as long as the weather cooperates!

I've always loved flowers too, and especially feeding birds!
Birds are cute. Until their songs make it so that I can't go back to sleep when I wake up too early.

Can I ask a stupid question?

Sunflowers lean toward the sun so keep that in mind when you figure out where to plant them and how to secure them.

I always have to beat the birds to the seeds in order to save them for bird food. When the stalks turn yellow below the flowerhead and the seeds have fully developed, it is time to cut and dry them.

Isn't the growing pattern for the seeds amazing? A spiral, like seashells.

what kind of birds you got there?

All sorts, but mainly I think I'll be feeding turtle doves, sparrows, and pheasants in winter. Most others migrate away to warmer climates during winter months. During summer there's a ton of different birds.

Hello,
For the birds, berry bushes would be good. Birds like bushes to hide from predator birds.

Hi! There's a ton of foliage in my back garden, it's an ornamental garden, so it's full of bushes, trees and other cover for birds. It's almost too thick haha. I need to get in with my chainsaw and do some major pruning.

I loved growing those as a kid. One of the few garden plants I didn't kill. Plant some climbing beans next to them like scarlet emperors. You will have a riot of color.

I loved growing those as a kid. One of the few garden plants I didn't kill. Plant some climbing beans next to them like scarlet emperors. You will have a riot of color.

Thanks for the info, I'll look for some climbing bean seeds. Do you need anything extra for the beans to climb? Or will they climb the sunflowers?

Thanks for the info, I'll look for some climbing bean seeds. Do you need anything extra for the beans to climb? Or will they climb the sunflowers?
They climb the sunflowers. Father always liked to plant beans with corn. Beans are legumes and help fix nitrogen in the soil.

I would love to grow these!
Sunflowers are my favourite flower.

My question is how can you keep squirrels from eating the stalks as they grow?

I've tried other sunflowers, not these monsters, and the squirrels always eat the stalk through.

@Mary Terry The pattern the sunflower grows in is special. It is the same as a nautilus shell.
It is a part of sacred geometry called the Fibonacci spiral. Found in many forms in nature.
09spiral.jpg

I would love to grow these!
Sunflowers are my favourite flower.

My question is how can you keep squirrels from eating the stalks as they grow?

I've tried other sunflowers, not these monsters, and the squirrels always eat the stalk through.

@Mary Terry The pattern the sunflower grows in is special. It is the same as a nautilus shell.
It is a part of sacred geometry called the Fibonacci spiral. Found in many forms in nature.
View attachment 66916

The Fiboncci spiral is fascinating and always a mathematical certainty. Perhaps an essential structure of life in some ways. It is present in the double helix of human DNA and the pattern that leaves grow on flower stalks and branches grow on trees. There's also something called a golden spiral in math, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom