• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oh sorry the tomato's gone! I lost several tomato plants and the runner beans, but the rest have made it. I cover them each night, the raspberries blackberry and strawberries seem fine without coverings, though we could get straw for the strawberries I suppose, like you have. Does it help them? I guess thats where they get their name?

Yep, that's where strawberries got their name. The straw helps to retain moisture and also keeps the berries cleaner. I put some manure in the bed, and didn't want it splashing the manure onto the berries when it Rained.

Sorry to hear about your losses. I guess that that's a problem that people who are avid gardeners have to face, especially in cooler climates. Hopefully it warms up for you!

I would love to grow these!
Sunflowers are my favourite flower.

My question is how can you keep squirrels from eating the stalks as they grow?

I've tried other sunflowers, not these monsters, and the squirrels always eat the stalk through.

@Mary Terry The pattern the sunflower grows in is special. It is the same as a nautilus shell.
It is a part of sacred geometry called the Fibonacci spiral. Found in many forms in nature.
View attachment 66916

I was just reading about companion planting with sunflowers and they said that planting onions, rosemary, basil, or other strong smelling herbs can repel squirrels, rabbits, and deer from your sunflower plants. I hope you have the opportunity to try again. Thankfully, we don't have any of those creatures here.

New Threads

Top Bottom