• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Alan Cohen

It's a bit overwhelming to realize your entire life can be defined with a single word. I had been in therapy for a long time, but that word, Aspergers, never left my doctor's lips, that is until I came to it myself, and asked him straight out. I am the youngest of four, and my siblings have basically ostracized me from their lives and my parents are long dead. My sole concern, and my sole reason to continue, is my now 20-year-old daughter who my ex borderline wife had adopted from Bulgaria. She has been my sole focus since, and she has lived with me 100 percent of the time for the past five years. I guess I must have appeared all Mark Zuckerberg (think The Social Network) to the judge because he awarded me zero even though my ex earns 100 grand a year.
Yet, here I am, sitting at my computer, broke because my writing career has not yet been accepted, and unable to return to my former career as a lawyer because of all the bridges I burned, and because I simply am no longer able to do it. I just thanked my longtime assistant who was with me for more than 20 years, who sheltered me from the storm of reality. And, like so many of you, I worked on my own because I was unable to work for anybody else. I am now trying to do that again, but not as an attorney. I am overqualified for almost everything. I reached out to VR last week in light of my diagnosis, but their process moves slower than the sloths in Zootopia.
So, I continue to write my blogs (The Libertorian) and my books (America Solved and Private Vows) that I self published and available on Amazon, hoping that the right person might discover my brilliance (trying to be humorous here) because I would earn $5 a copy if anyone actually bought them. I am doing my best not to feel sorry for myself, to accept my deficits along with my gifts. But, it's all so overwhelming, as you all know. I had overcome so much, and now I must do it again.
Thank you.
Alan W. Cohen

I'm self-diagnosed at 53 and I celebrate my AS, it fits and explains so much of my past. Get beyond your skin and your head, start thinking about how you can make contributions to others. Leverage your experiences and start monitoring how you represent yourself - from there, an entire new world will open up for you.

upload_2017-7-17_14-27-57.png

It's a bit overwhelming to realize your entire life can be defined with a single word. I had been in therapy for a long time, but that word, Aspergers, never left my doctor's lips, that is until I came to it myself, and asked him straight out. I am the youngest of four, and my siblings have basically ostracized me from their lives and my parents are long dead. My sole concern, and my sole reason to continue, is my now 20-year-old daughter who my ex borderline wife had adopted from Bulgaria. She has been my sole focus since, and she has lived with me 100 percent of the time for the past five years. I guess I must have appeared all Mark Zuckerberg (think The Social Network) to the judge because he awarded me zero even though my ex earns 100 grand a year.
Yet, here I am, sitting at my computer, broke because my writing career has not yet been accepted, and unable to return to my former career as a lawyer because of all the bridges I burned, and because I simply am no longer able to do it. I just thanked my longtime assistant who was with me for more than 20 years, who sheltered me from the storm of reality. And, like so many of you, I worked on my own because I was unable to work for anybody else. I am now trying to do that again, but not as an attorney. I am overqualified for almost everything. I reached out to VR last week in light of my diagnosis, but their process moves slower than the sloths in Zootopia.
So, I continue to write my blogs (The Libertorian) and my books (America Solved and Private Vows) that I self published and available on Amazon, hoping that the right person might discover my brilliance (trying to be humorous here) because I would earn $5 a copy if anyone actually bought them. I am doing my best not to feel sorry for myself, to accept my deficits along with my gifts. But, it's all so overwhelming, as you all know. I had overcome so much, and now I must do it again.
Thank you.
Alan W. Cohen
my mam only studied law and became a solicitor because she went to the careers office at her university after she COULDNT get work with an English literature degree sadly she is no longer living so she cant help

Thank you.
Alan W. Cohen
she began her career as a solicitor at 45 years old
she was a solicitor for one year before she was diagnosed with the worst form of m.n.d (Lou gehrigs disease) pseudo bulbar palsy the pseudo part is called progressive now .
but she still did everything she could to keep me alive .
many solicitors change career it is very stressful to stay in as a career even for neurotypicals .
one thing to do work at a foodbankas a volunteer

Welcome to AC! I also think my career has gone no where. This confuses me as I worked so hard but have had no good job interviews after over a year. But anyway welcome !!

Welcome Alan. I found out about myself when I was 62. I spent my whole life trying to fit in and not cause a ripple. I look forward to your posts.

New Threads

Top Bottom