• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Got an F on my paper for taking instructions too literally

Moonhart44

V.I.P Member
it wasnt a main paper, so i see it as a lesson to learn, even though i feel still like a failure. I read the instructions too closely. "First, write a summary about the main class book (1st Paragraph). Then right a weekly response . . . " in the syllabus, where it is rewritten differently, it didnt say 1st paragraph. instead it said one paragraph. so these two terms were confusing. i took this as two separate assignments.

I asked the professor but they only respond as a note in grading my paper (i asked him a few days before it was due) I feel frustrated because just the instructions of the assignment was so hard for me to understand. i feel frustrated on how literal i took it, because i guess it backs up my diagnoses (this week another person challenged my diagnoses and so i feel frustrated because of that as well).

i am worried about succeeding in my class. I know i must keep going and can't quit, so im not worried about that. i am just venting i guess.

> I asked the professor but they only respond as a note in grading my paper (i asked him a few days before it was due)

Then they didn't do their job. You might want to raise this point and explain that because of your status you need clear answers on things like this. Is there an officer responsible for seeing that students with special needs get appropriate support? There should be.

(But in this case the teacher's response wouldn't have been adequate for ANY student.)

> I asked the professor but they only respond as a note in grading my paper (i asked him a few days before it was due)

Then they didn't do their job.
I think about this and then i think, maybe he thought the question was stupid. and then i think about how i have a disadvantage with online courses. I have been in college before, and did well but i was on campus, and i learn better in class, in lectures (visual + audio are necessary for me to learn most optimally), so when i read, i cant really process it as well. I am worried about this new struggle i have and knowing how much more i have to compensate for online classes.

i agree he didnt do his job in that part.

I think about this and then i think, maybe he thought the question was stupid.

The fact that you inquired means you cared enough about the assignment to seek the essential information necessary to properly complete it. It is true that there are those who would frown upon certain inquiries, but that is really a personal issue with them, not you.

Some professors care more than others. Some will just throw you a syllabus, and you are on your own. I think that this professor could have handled it better and at least answered the question more appropriately.

You should consider looking into receiving disability accommodations with your university. It will help you.

I think about this and then i think, maybe he thought the question was stupid. and then i think about how i have a disadvantage with online courses. I have been in college before, and did well but i was on campus, and i learn better in class, in lectures (visual + audio are necessary for me to learn most optimally), so when i read, i cant really process it as well. I am worried about this new struggle i have and knowing how much more i have to compensate for online classes.

i agree he didnt do his job in that part.

Thinking the question is stupid (which, he shouldn't think, but whatever) is no excuse for refusing to answer it.

Seriously, asking for clarification on instructions is normal and healthy behavior if you want to avoid screwing up.

The professor failed you in this case. It wasn't an acceptable way to treat any student.

@Moonhart44
"I read the instructions too closely. "First, write a summary about the main class book (1st Paragraph). Then right a weekly response . . . " in the syllabus, where it is rewritten differently, it didnt say 1st paragraph. instead it said one paragraph. so these two terms were confusing. i took this as two separate assignments."

I still don't know what the assignment really was.
What were you supposed to do that you didn't do?

@Moonhart44 - You did everything right, and the teacher sounds terrible. Please do investigate whether the school has support services to help you, too!

Hang in there and use it as a lesson in interpretation of written instructions for school assignments. That's probably a more useful lesson than whatever the subject matter of the class is about. ;)

Everything is confusion. Talk to a prof about the Hell Of Blackboard and they are as confused as we are now.

Sounds like you were unfairly treated, but get what you need to be on ‘level pegging’ part of a interview I was at said answer all three parts of the question so I did, great, but not as that was just one of three questions, question two was on the reverse of the page and I never asked for question three because literal me thought I was done, I got full marks for the one question but lost that job as other applications scored on the other two questions, this was after declaring my ASD, I challenged their lack of support but wasn’t listened to, you need to not lose heart or (if you can) feel stupid as it’s not necessary you fault perhaps just another way too familiar experience of lack of reasonable adjustments

@Moonhart44 I'm sorry to hear that. It does seem unfair that the teacher didn't answer your question. Do you have supports in place because you are on the spectrum? If so perhaps there is someone who either now or for future work could smooth the way for you?

Otherwise I think your attitude of a lesson learned is good. Sometimes crappy things happen and it's best not to get hung up on them and, rather, be practical about what you can do in the future. Good luck with the rest of your studies :)

Contact Disability Services on campus and let them know about the issue, and to help you mediate with your teacher.

Contact Disability Services on campus and let them know about the issue, and to help you mediate with your teacher.
I agree with this.
They also may be able to assign you someone to help you interpret assignment briefs, that was one service that at least one of the unis I attended offered to dyslexic and autistic students.

I know in college, work tends to be too much. You could also try asking your professor to re-do an assignment(s) maybe.

If you don't think you should mention your diagnosis, ask right away if the prof is okay with you "re-doing" the assignment. The worst answer you could get is a "no".

If you don't get a satisfactory answer from that and want to pursue further or at the same time you ask for a re-do, you can ask your university for accommodations. The process for accommodations might take awhile. So, maybe it's good to do both.

When you ask other university personnel about the process for requesting accommodations, I wouldn't necessarily try to blame this specific professor unless you feel the context says otherwise. If other university personnel ask you about specific examples, then the onus kinda falls on them for requesting info (that they need to know) rather than on you for "creating blame". Sometimes it's worth trying to maintain an academic relationship even if only temporary.

You know the context best. I hope it goes well for you. You seem like a hard worker!

New Threads

Top Bottom