• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good portrayals of Asperger's?

Calcifer

You know how a lot of people with an ASD hate the media for they're portrayals of the autistic? Because it's sometimes very exaggerated or the acting is horrible (and they never just use 'real' people for the actors).

Well, I was wondering what you think are good portrayals of Asperger's and such.
Like, books, movies, blogs, articles, etc..

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong forum. xD

I tried to watch If you could say it in words but my laptop started to overheat 3 minutes in. :(

My laptop wouldn't let me view it. The streaming wouldn't work.

Anyways, I did see Mary and Max. :) I am not going to say how I saw it, but it was awesome. ^_^; I really liked the plot and everything. I don't want to spoil the movie, so I won't say anymore. :S

Last edited:
If I'm to ever buy a laptop I hope it'll never overheat. This seems to be a common problem nowadays. I've never owned a laptop before but would like to get one eventually.

I heard of that Mary and Max film before but never knew what it was, really. I didn't know there was someone with Asperger's in it; interesting.

I'm just a sucker for Claymation. Even if it wasn't about Asperger's, I still would had watched it anyways. But not as soon though, because I would have to think about the plot and see if it was worth watching.

@???- I am glad my laptop hasn't smoked up yet. I am sure you'll know what to do when getting one. :)

Last edited:
I'm now trying to check Mary and Max out from the local library - but it seems popular and has been checked out the two times I looked for it. Maybe I'll get lucky eventually. I can't put a hold on it because it's a new release.

Mary and Max is available on Netflix Instant if anyone wants to watch it that way (I have a Blu-Ray player that lets me watch Netflix Instant movies on my tv, which is pretty cool).

I thought Snowcake was a pretty good portrayal of autism. Sigourney Weaver was pretty impressive.

Eagle Versus Shark is also a good little New Zealand film about two eccentric people falling in love. They don't mention Aspergers, but I thought they fitted. There is also Mozart and the Whale and Amelie (I thought Amelie was quite an odd character... so it's a possible).

Mary and Max was a great film. You should also check out Adam Elliot's other claymation called Harvey Krumpet about a man with Tourette's.

Did you know that there is a fan designed for laptops which you can put underneath and it keeps them from overheating? I have one on mine right now and I have never had any problems with it overheating. And I watch movies all the time on it. I got it as a Christmas gift one year so I am not sure what they are called but a computer store might know.

Anyway, this is not really an Asperger's movie, but I found that I could really relate to "The Devil Wears Prada" especially the scene where Meryl Streep tells the new assistant to go get some skirts from a certain store and the assistant says, "What kind of skirts?" and Meryl gets all exasperated and says "I don't have time for this." And then later when Meryl tells her to bring a certain book to her house and leave it on the table with the flowers and she gets there and there are several tables with flowers--oh yeah, been there done that. I would say if you are NT and you want to know what it is like to be Aspy, go watch that movie. Cause I have felt like that assistant many many times.

I managed to hunt down a copy of Mary and Max. Unfortunately, I found the parts where the friendship fell apart and the suicide thing to be really upsetting, and my evening was ruined (I spent much of the rest of it pacing anxiously). I guess this is why I mostly watch cheery kids' movies. Sigh.

I did like the ending though.

If anyone have seen the first seasons of "Bones"..I believe the character of "Zack Addie" was meant to have Aspergers..as well as probably "House" of "House MD"..Also Ive seen the movie "Mozart and the whale"(where it was made abundantly clear that the protaganists had Aspergers..)

Last edited:
I'm not sure but has anyone seen the HBO Ricky Gervais Show...or the new Science Channel's "An Idiot Abroad"? I'm kind of thinking that Karl Pilkington might have either AS or PDD-NOS. While I have found the shows interesting, I am sometimes a bit offended by the way they treat Karl.

I know it was mentioned on Aspergic.com that he has a somewhat low IQ (83) and that is his only issue...I still find he has a certain adherence to routines, repetitive monotone speech, prefers less crowds, not very willing to consider other points of view, etc...that all make me wonder if he could be on the spectrum.

Although I am aware that it could all be an elaborate act that is strictly for entertainment. Also, I've done very little research on the matter...I like Ricky Gervais' stand-up shows and watch these other show just a couple of days ago and thought this might follow well in this thread.

I saw Mary and Max a while back, and I thought it was good. Out of the few characters with AS I've seen in tv shows and movies, I'd say that Max is the only one I can relate to that much, even though some of his AS traits are a lot more severe than mine. If I had a complaint about the movie, I'd say that I hope people don't came away from the movie thinking that the lives of all aspies are that grim.

When I was looking at the end credits of the movie, I noticed that Dr. Tony Attwood (who I think lives in Australia at least part of the time) was one of the AS consultants.

Anyone here watch The Big Bang Theory? I've seen little bits of it here and there since I have family members who watch it, but I've never sat down and watched a whole episode. I don't think it's ever made explicit, but I think one or two of the characters are supposed to be very aspie-like (from what I've seen of the show, they're not characters I personally relate to much). I've also heard that one of the characters from the show Community is aspie-like as well as the most sympathetic character on the show.

Anyone here watch The Big Bang Theory? I've seen little bits of it here and there since I have family members who watch it, but I've never sat down and watched a whole episode. I don't think it's ever made explicit, but I think one or two of the characters are supposed to be very aspie-like (from what I've seen of the show, they're not characters I personally relate to much).

I think that character would be Sheldon Cooper PhD. I found this video of the best of Sheldon for those unfamiliar. I really like this show and have often been compared to Sheldon by my family members...though I'm no where near as skinny as he is nor do I have his level of mathematical aptitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if it will be a good portrayal or not, but on the new TV series Parenthood (season 2 episode titled "Amazing Andy and His Wonderful World of Bugs", the kid's character with Asperger's (Max) is having a birthday on the show and they are introducing an adult character with Asperger's attending the party...there are other story-lines throughout the series so don't watching it assuming the whole show is about AS.

I don't have AS, but my beloved boyfriend does. He, my little sister, and I really enjoy a sitcom entitled "Community" where one of the characters, Abed, has Asperger's Syndrome. He is our favorite character. I like him very much. The show is surprisingly good. I don't watch TV much, but I'm hooked on the show. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom