• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good age to diagnose personality disorders

Oz67

Is age 18 too young to diagnose personality disorders? Although you are an adult at that age, you are a teenager still. I think the best age to diagnose personality disorders is at least 25 or 23 at the youngest.

If a person gets diagnosed personality disorder as soon a person turns 18 years old, can the symptoms of it be acute and be improved overtime with help?

Psychology should develop Young Adult Onset Conduct Disorders for adults under 23, just like the case of Brian Blackwell.

Personality disorders can be diagnosed at age 18, if the behavioral problem is severe.

Personality disorders ideally should be diagnosed when the person first starts exhibiting symptoms of mental illness. Many types of mental illness first become apparent in the teen years, including forms of schizophrenia.

Especially if it comes with effective treatment. For instance, borderline personality disorder tends to respond very favorably, and dissipate in symptoms, if the person goes into Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. Outcomes tend to be very good and down the track, they are greatly improved in mood and relational outcomes.

My youngest son was diagnosed with complex PTSD with bpd traits, amd only after a year, he is greatly and significantly better. His suicidal ideation is nearly non existant now and he is much happier. He is only 18 but recognizes his bpd traits. It has been a very hard road but he is doing well. He said to me the other day "Mum, I think I'm always going to be in therapy", which, I was, actually happy about, better that, than being utterly miserable, and denying one's problems.

It was me that figured out that he is also autistic and "twice exceptional" (2e), and he figured out his ADHD and helped me figure out mine. Some people who are diagnosed with bpd actually have complex, developmental, childhood trauma, Autism and/or ADHD and are not being recognized as such. This is a problem, because if the diagnosis is wrong or incomplete, it doesn't get treated right. This happened to me.

I have an older son who almost certainly has bpd but also complex trauma and undiagnosed and unrealized ASD and ADHD and he lives with his (very narcissistic) father. He is very depressed, 28, and has been turned against me. My 25 year old son (I have 5 sons) says "Dad doesn't believe in labels (aka diagnosis') for anyone but you, mum" and my take is, if you don't understand what is happening, and what the problems, actually, are, how can you address them?

And my kid's Dad doesn't believe in accurate diagnosis, he just likes to gaslight me. Which is not the same thing as getting an accurate diagnosis. It can take a lot of research to figure out what is what, but, adequate research gleans adequate answers. Most people don't do that though (except a lot of Autistic people, who often tend to be exceptional researchers), even doctors can get things wrong and miss things. You only have to look at how so many of us older women missed being accurately diagnosed with Autism when we were younger. Many of us eventually got diagnosed with bpd, depression, anxiety, but not ASD. So many of us are late diagnosed or self diagnosed with ASD and have suffered a lot, not knowing, for so long. So it's important to establish whether ASD and/or ADHD are behind the personality disorder, co morbid with the personality disorder, or the real issue and not, in fact, a personality disorder. Perhaps it is complex trauma AND neurodivergence and not, in fact, even a personality disorder at all.

Is age 18 too young to diagnose personality disorders? Although you are an adult at that age, you are a teenager still. I think the best age to diagnose personality disorders is at least 25 or 23 at the youngest.

If a person gets diagnosed personality disorder as soon a person turns 18 years old, can the symptoms of it be acute and be improved overtime with help?

Psychology should develop Young Adult Onset Conduct Disorders for adults under 23, just like the case of Brian Blackwell.

Personality disorders can be diagnosed at age 18, if the behavioral problem is severe.
I agree with you, @Oz67, while also recognizing that each person's situation will be unique and sometimes, it may be in order.

Although symptoms of a personality disorder may become apparent in the teenage years, it is a particular class of diagnoses that rely on other conditions being ruled out. There is still quite a lot of brain development happening from 18-23 for most people and I think it is worth it to use provisional diagnoses to be thorough with the assessment process. I agree with @Neri that sometimes an early diagnosis can lead to access to treatment, but many of those treatments could be made available with provisional diagnoses as well. Every case will be unique, but I'm inclined to prefer abstaining from diagnosing personality disorders before 25 years old.

I agree with you, @Oz67, while also recognizing that each person's situation will be unique and sometimes, it may be in order.

Although symptoms of a personality disorder may become apparent in the teenage years, it is a particular class of diagnoses that rely on other conditions being ruled out. There is still quite a lot of brain development happening from 18-23 for most people and I think it is worth it to use provisional diagnoses to be thorough with the assessment process. I agree with @Neri that sometimes an early diagnosis can lead to access to treatment, but many of those treatments could be made available with provisional diagnoses as well. Every case will be unique, but I'm inclined to prefer abstaining from diagnosing personality disorders before 25 years old.
That makes sense.

Especially if it comes with effective treatment. For instance, borderline personality disorder tends to respond very favorably, and dissipate in symptoms, if the person goes into Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. Outcomes tend to be very good and down the track, they are greatly improved in mood and relational outcomes.

My youngest son was diagnosed with complex PTSD with bpd traits, amd only after a year, he is greatly and significantly better. His suicidal ideation is nearly non existant now and he is much happier. He is only 18 but recognizes his bpd traits. It has been a very hard road but he is doing well. He said to me the other day "Mum, I think I'm always going to be in therapy", which, I was, actually happy about, better that, than being utterly miserable, and denying one's problems.

It was me that figured out that he is also autistic and "twice exceptional" (2e), and he figured out his ADHD and helped me figure out mine. Some people who are diagnosed with bpd actually have complex, developmental, childhood trauma, Autism and/or ADHD and are not being recognized as such. This is a problem, because if the diagnosis is wrong or incomplete, it doesn't get treated right. This happened to me.

I have an older son who almost certainly has bpd but also complex trauma and undiagnosed and unrealized ASD and ADHD and he lives with his (very narcissistic) father. He is very depressed, 28, and has been turned against me. My 25 year old son (I have 5 sons) says "Dad doesn't believe in labels (aka diagnosis') for anyone but you, mum" and my take is, if you don't understand what is happening, and what the problems, actually, are, how can you address them?

And my kid's Dad doesn't believe in accurate diagnosis, he just likes to gaslight me. Which is not the same thing as getting an accurate diagnosis. It can take a lot of research to figure out what is what, but, adequate research gleans adequate answers. Most people don't do that though (except a lot of Autistic people, who often tend to be exceptional researchers), even doctors can get things wrong and miss things. You only have to look at how so many of us older women missed being accurately diagnosed with Autism when we were younger. Many of us eventually got diagnosed with bpd, depression, anxiety, but not ASD. So many of us are late diagnosed or self diagnosed with ASD and have suffered a lot, not knowing, for so long. So it's important to establish whether ASD and/or ADHD are behind the personality disorder, co morbid with the personality disorder, or the real issue and not, in fact, a personality disorder. Perhaps it is complex trauma AND neurodivergence and not, in fact, even a personality disorder at all.
That makes sense.

Personality disorders ideally should be diagnosed when the person first starts exhibiting symptoms of mental illness. Many types of mental illness first become apparent in the teen years, including forms of schizophrenia.
That is a good point to consider.

Some personality disorders can be diagnosed in preschool. Some disorders do not manifest until later in life. You can manifest a disorder at any age in life. It is just most common for one to manifest during or just beyond puberty. There's no specific ideal age range for diagnosis.

Diagnosis needs to happen as early as is consistent with accuracy and confidence. That maximizes the chance of help that will mitigate later problems in life.

Some personality disorders can be diagnosed in preschool. Some disorders do not manifest until later in life. You can manifest a disorder at any age in life. It is just most common for one to manifest during or just beyond puberty. There's no specific ideal age range for diagnosis.

Diagnosis needs to happen as early as is consistent with accuracy and confidence. That maximizes the chance of help that will mitigate later problems in life.

That makes sense.

I am sorry if I am annoying you guys, Forensic Psychology is my favorite restricted and also a special interest. It is also my autistic trait, I can't help it, I am sorry!

No worries, you are not annoying, many of us are interested in these topics, or work in these areas, or have life experiences that are highly relevant. This is a good place for discussion.

I am sorry if I am annoying you guys, Forensic Psychology is my favorite restricted and also a special interest. It is also my autistic trait, I can't help it, I am sorry!
I wasn't annoyed at all. I thought you raised an interesting question and I enjoyed reading about yours and others' perspectives on this.

What I learned in school, is that personality hasn't really solidified in your teen years yet. Personality disorders are a long-term enduring thing, so it's likely to be inaccurate if you identify something as a personality disorder too young. Symptoms might exist at a younger age, but specifically calling something a personality disorder too early doesn't help.
That doesn't mean you can't have mental illness as a teenager or a kid. That just means that things that could turn into Avoidant Personality Disorder, or Borderline Personality Disorder can be unlearned with help before then.

Some therapists I've seen avoid using personality disorder diagnosis altogether because that can give the impression that the problem can't be fixed, or that there's something inherently wrong with the person being diagnosed. It can contribute to people not looking for treatment because they think there isn't a point in trying.

I apologize upfront if I will be a little bit off topic, but I will try to come up with the questions.

So I was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder around the age of 3 when I didn’t even speak. Maybe it was too early (?)

Then I started to attend preschool and school in special education, and around seven years old, I started to speak fluently in two languages. Though I still had development delay, I was not good and still not good with math. At that point my diagnosis changed to Autism (since PDD did not exist anymore). Not sure if that was right…

Overall I enjoyed school (even though I was bullied by “normal” kids, which is not unusual and I forgive them), including middle school, but high school was too stressful for me, since I was transferred to the best school in the district against my will and without my friends from middle school. At some point my mental condition got really bad, and I ended up with Catatonia at age 15, which is easy to diagnose correctly since I could not move. At that point I started to receive mental health medications (never had them before). My parents fought the district and I was transferred to a “normal” school (still in special ed), which I enjoyed very much.

My mental situation was changing from time to time and I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. My psychiatrist claims that all my conditions can be explained by either Autism or Bipolar. I have no reason to disagree, even though "Forensic" Psychology is one of my restricted interests and I can easily come up with many different diagnoses.

I had several surgeries, including kidney removal at age of two. Recently I had another tumor in my spine, which was removed a couple of weeks ago. As a result I developed a severe bipolar crisis. I cannot sleep since I have nightmares and hear voices. My normal medications do not help anymore. My psychiatrist is trying to find a new combination.

Do you think this can cause personality disorder?

I apologize again if I post too much. Maybe I do that just to hear a nice word. Thanks for your understanding.

It is good to forgive your bullies. Most people can't even get to the point where they accept what happened. Spend the rest of their lives angry over it.

Having all those surgeries could easily cause some kind of psychological trauma. Some kind of PTSD feeding into your existing conditions.

I think i might have.

warning: THIS IS NOT A DIAGNOSIS, I will talk to my counselor and psychiatrist about it.

* Body dysmorphic–like disorder without repetitive
behavior

* Excoriation (Skin-Picking) Disorder

* Other Specified Obsessive-Compulsive and
Related Disorder

* Posttraumatic Stress Disorder

*Olfactory reference disorder (Olfactory hallucination)

* Schizotypal Personality Disorder
Adjustment Disorder with mild command hallucination against my former bullies and to horrible things that could put me to jail or prison for a long time and Derealization/Deperlization

I have been to the ER and then psych hospital for only a day and I was diagnosed with mental health issue with no useful info, then I was diagnosed with Adjustment Disorder with other symptom and I was assessed for fast for Autism and got diagnosed with Autism Spectrum. My diagnoses of PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) changed to Autism Spectrum.

I asked my nurse why I was being released so early as I still was mentally unstable and he explained to me that I behaved too well and that the outpatient treatment program is more appropriate for people like me.

New Threads

Top Bottom