• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going through the diagnosis process / New to the forum

barbarian

Hello,

21 years old male here, mainly interested in fractals, Excel, Web development, German shepherds and music.

I'm currently going through a diagnosis process with a psychology professional, and decided to join the forum after reading many interesting posts here. Besides suffering from abuse as a child, through all my life I suffered from social isolation by colleagues, severe anxiety which led to drug abuse, self medication and an attempt at suicide.

The perception that always followed me wherever I go is that every human interaction is shallow and impossible to be deepened, always leading to awkwardness and bad relations with everyone. It doesn't really matter for me that others may not have the best impression of my personality, but the social inability gets me further from what I want and/or need most of the times.

It becomes hard to live in a world where I feel out of tune all the time, so withdrawal is my main response to everything.

I hope the forum helps me, and I wish God bless you all.

Welcome! Glad to hear you're getting help. While it's never too late to learn, definitely the earlier one learns of who they are and how to cope, the more opportunities they'll have to be their best :)

Hi,

Yes, a lot of stuff is shallow in this world, but intense/serious can be wearying too, I think they keep it shallow to avoid the deeps. Can be sensible.

61349a31fddd9219692638edc213f585.png

Hi and welcome, it sounds like times have been tough for you. Part of what we are up against is different processing by our differently operating brains, this makes communication hard and puzzling at times, and gives that sense of alienation.

I guess it's like not hearing certain frequencies that others can hear, how can we know or work out what is meant when part of it wasn't there for us? Or can't be computed.

I hope it may help you to find others here with similar experiences of the world.

:walking::airplane::swimmer::sailboat::runner::rocket::bicyclist::taxi::surfer::speedboat::helicopter:

Welcome to the forum. I can relate to much of what you wrote. I am new to the forum as well, and although I'm much older than you, I am just getting started with my journey of self discovery and getting a diagnosis.

I hope you will find what you need here. Everyone I've met here has been friendly and welcoming, and it is so good to finally meet people who understand. It's so hard to form lasting and meaningful relationships with people who don't understand you. I hope this will be like an oasis where you can come and be yourself and be accepted. May God bless you too.

Hi!
Welcome to the forum! I dont get here as much as i should but i really like it here, i have made a friend here and we text eachother alot. Its fun. I have very few friends and tend to isolate. Here's a wierd one to try and say aloud; social isolation seems self supporting. Just a theory about me, not trying to put anything on you. The more i remain 'outside looking in' the harder it is to make a connection with "nt" ppl. " nt" is nuero typical. Normals. I think normal people suck. Small talk drives me insane.i hate tv. I hope you make some friends here. There are games.. and a blog space.. and artists ...

Welcome Barbarian!
There's always a variety of topics and posts.
It's a good place to come to for relaxation and learning. :)

Hi and welcome, it sounds like times have been tough for you. Part of what we are up against is different processing by our differently operating brains, this makes communication hard and puzzling at times, and gives that sense of alienation.

I guess it's like not hearing certain frequencies that others can hear, how can we know or work out what is meant when part of it wasn't there for us? Or can't be computed.

I hope it may help you to find others here with similar experiences of the world.

:walking::airplane::swimmer::sailboat::runner::rocket::bicyclist::taxi::surfer::speedboat::helicopter:

Yes, that is precisely what I always felt. Even with friends, the radio frequency analogy is pretty valid, we're never talking the same language.

Welcome to the forum. I can relate to much of what you wrote. I am new to the forum as well, and although I'm much older than you, I am just getting started with my journey of self discovery and getting a diagnosis.

I hope you will find what you need here. Everyone I've met here has been friendly and welcoming, and it is so good to finally meet people who understand. It's so hard to form lasting and meaningful relationships with people who don't understand you. I hope this will be like an oasis where you can come and be yourself and be accepted. May God bless you too.

Thank you Linda!

It is exactly what I'm looking for: people with relatable experiences and a lot of helpful information to look into. Even not caring much about it, we all feel the need of deeper connections and understanding once in a while.

Hi!
Welcome to the forum! I dont get here as much as i should but i really like it here, i have made a friend here and we text eachother alot. Its fun. I have very few friends and tend to isolate. Here's a wierd one to try and say aloud; social isolation seems self supporting. Just a theory about me, not trying to put anything on you. The more i remain 'outside looking in' the harder it is to make a connection with "nt" ppl. " nt" is nuero typical. Normals. I think normal people suck. Small talk drives me insane.i hate tv. I hope you make some friends here. There are games.. and a blog space.. and artists ...

Hey, thanks for the welcoming message.

Yes, I also feel that trying to connect to NTs in general is draining and harder, and staying in my little bubble always takes my energy levels and mood up. You're right about that. By the way, the whole pandemic scenario brought me the best times in my life, since I even felt like getting medical help finally.

Cheers!

Hi and Welcome @barbarian

I must admit I had an aspie moment when I read this bit below.

I thought (for a moment) that your interest was in the folks who keep sheep in Germany, and not the breed of dog. Dooh!

A few weeks ago I was confused by the information that a certain state in my country was "lacking oxygen". I spent some hours thinking about what possibly could lead an entire state population to be without breathing air, until I realized through news headlines that it was about hospital oxygen.

I get you, man.

Welcome barbarian!

My two cents about the diagnostic process: some docs are great, some aren't. If being an aspie fits for you, then no doctor's bad advice can prove otherwise. If the docs agree, then I am glad for you, and hopeful for the rest of us.

You are who you are, and you know you best. Look forward to seeing more of you around here.

Welcome barbarian!

My two cents about the diagnostic process: some docs are great, some aren't. If being an aspie fits for you, then no doctor's bad advice can prove otherwise. If the docs agree, then I am glad for you, and hopeful for the rest of us.

You are who you are, and you know you best. Look forward to seeing more of you around here.

Thank you zozie!

New Threads

Top Bottom