• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going back to our roots, Aspie/Autie Poll time

What conditions do you believe led to your Aspergers/Autistic traits?

• Biological - genetics

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • Biological - trauma causing birth defects or changes in brain chemistry

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Psychological - No biological reason, it is a condition of Mind

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Both - A biological root with a psychological stem.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • God(dess)/Creator/Evolution/Aliens wanted to make my life interesting.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • None of these

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My mom and grandmother were both Aspies. No doubt something in the genes with no lifeguard in the gene pool.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "condition of the mind" and how it's not "biological"? Scientifically speaking, from all I know about psychology and neurology (not enough, I confess) the mind IS biological. Are you meaning it to be in a more spiritual context?

My reference to Mind is the same as Jung's, not the biological brain but the perception of conscious self awareness. This mind is not regarded as biological by mainstream science, who, to date, cannot agree upon a definition or location for it although it patently exists.

My spiritual concept is not 'mind' but spirit, which I have chosen to leave out of the poll.

I think: "Both - A biological root with a psychological stem."

Many of the symptoms described in the DSM clearly stem from psychological issues one can have because of being born differently.

I went with options #2 and #4

When I was born I got stuck in my mother's birth canal for a short time. I think the lack of oxygen during those moments may have affected my brain a bit.

I have to go with biological trauma. My mother did not know she had lupis when she had me. I was also premature and have other biological differences that while should be genetic, no one in my family has, like geographic tongue.

My reference to Mind is the same as Jung's, not the biological brain but the perception of conscious self awareness. This mind is not regarded as biological by mainstream science, who, to date, cannot agree upon a definition or location for it although it patently exists.

My spiritual concept is not 'mind' but spirit, which I have chosen to leave out of the poll.

Harrison, getting a little metaphysical here, if you'll forgive me, do you feel that 'mind' is of spirit.. spirit is the home of conciousness?
I'm certainly aware that conciousness is the arena within which thought occurs..

have other biological differences that while should be genetic, no one in my family has, like geographic tongue.

hey Saragrl, you caught my attention with this.. what do you mean by 'geographic tongue?', if you don't mind me asking?

Mine is genetic, through and through. I've giggled about it before and I'll say it again, have you met my family!? I'm just the only one with everything at once. :D
(Well, two others are suspected to be officially on the spectrum, but highly doubtful to get tests run.)

(Warning this post can be a trigger for some people)

I am adding a trigger warning because what i am about to post has actually caused some people i have told it to outside of this site to get upset and freak out, i dont want to freak anyone out but i also like to be able to express my belief

i believe that it is genetic although i do have odd perceptions,
i believe very much in fate, but maybe not the way normal people do. lots of people apply it to a grand meaning or something of the like, me i just believe everything happens for a reason, in a almost more of a mathematical sense. i have been told my view is depressing or odd but i find it comforting.

in science we know that to be true something must be repeatable, extending that though we get a very interesting thought, the same situation under the same conditions will always happen the same way. gravity affects things in the same way every time. and i believe the small variables which affect something are not so much things that are not there but are more so things that we just do not have enough tech to detect. our lack of knowledge doesnt mean it doesnt happen

i extend this thought process to fate, action/reaction. the concept that all of our reactions are just chemical reactions happening in our brain. to me the idea of free will doesnt actually exist, that since we are all just action and reaction, responding to one another doesnt take away from my belief of choice. we could not begin to identify and make predict how we will react therefore the concept of choice still exists.

i know this is just my theory and i do not hold it against anyone else who doesnt believe. for me i find my belief to be comforting, belief of an order to the universe, even if it is a bit chaotic in nature. i do believe in good and bad to a point and i would never be one to say something terrible was just fate to happen. more because i do not believe the universe works off a set morality, good and bad things just happen. the idea that it was predestined does not take away from how good or bad something is.

I am adding a trigger warning because what i am about to post has actually caused some people i have told it to outside of this site to get upset and freak out, i dont want to freak anyone out but i also like to be able to express my belief

i believe that it is genetic although i do have odd perceptions,
i believe very much in fate, but maybe not the way normal people do. lots of people apply it to a grand meaning or something of the like, me i just believe everything happens for a reason, in a almost more of a mathematical sense. i have been told my view is depressing or odd but i find it comforting.

in science we know that to be true something must be repeatable, extending that though we get a very interesting thought, the same situation under the same conditions will always happen the same way. gravity affects things in the same way every time. and i believe the small variables which affect something are not so much things that are not there but are more so things that we just do not have enough tech to detect. our lack of knowledge doesnt mean it doesnt happen

i extend this thought process to fate, action/reaction. the concept that all of our reactions are just chemical reactions happening in our brain. to me the idea of free will doesnt actually exist, that since we are all just action and reaction, responding to one another doesnt take away from my belief of choice. we could not begin to identify and make predict how we will react therefore the concept of choice still exists.

i know this is just my theory and i do not hold it against anyone else who doesnt believe. for me i find my belief to be comforting, belief of an order to the universe, even if it is a bit chaotic in nature. i do believe in good and bad to a point and i would never be one to say something terrible was just fate to happen. more because i do not believe the universe works off a set morality, good and bad things just happen. the idea that it was predestined does not take away from how good or bad something is.

That is an interesting idea, and one that I've struggled with for some time: that while we are a single animal species, and like other animal species, we act and react in our environments with certain repetitive, predictable behaviors, we also, as individuals, will react and act in ways that are (nearly) uniquely our own, due to various and several reasons ( genetic and environment). Some of these unique actions and reactions may be by choice (really?) or repetitive and predictable (compulsive?) for the individual.

I'm auti/aspie. Pop was sitting in the living room after church the other day with my gun range ear protectors on, a little auti likely. Mom has the charm of a block of ice at church likely aspie some. And even tho I'm the sweetest son I get to be the black sheep baaaaa!:D

Last edited:
I chose "biological - genetics" and "none of these":

- "Biological - genetics" because I believe that most likely is the case.

- "None of these" as a way of saying I don't really know. Sometimes I think it's everyone around me who's different and I'm the one acting normal. :/

I believe that it is genetic

Hi Kaylee I agree mostly with you, I think the greater part of this is just bad luck:(, (or good luck :) if you like your traits), due to the wheel of fate on the genes:confused:. And how people think and live is affected by genes far more than we care to admit:rolleyes:. However I still believe that there is some free will in almost all of us, that we have to answer for. There may be a exception or 2 out there snacking on someones liver.:eek: Speaking of which you all should be very happy I turned out so well, my great great........? grandfather was Eric the Red so I should be chasing you all around with a very big axe.:D

Both: A biological root with a psychological stem

I'm a bit of a Cartesian Dualist, with a twist. For those who aren't familiar, René Descartes suggested that the body is material, following the laws of nature, while the mind is non-material and free of such dictates. Two discrete entities, thus, "dualism". He identified the locus of connection between the two as the pineal gland, which he referred to as "the seat of the soul"...the medium through which our non-material aspect becomes physically manifest. He saw this junction as accommodating of bidirectional flow, or in other words: The body can affect the mind, and the mind can affect the body. His proposal has been criticised, but it hasn't been disproven. The pineal gland has some unique properties for a brain structure, its complete function has yet to be understood by science, and as Harrison said, the mind [by whatever definition] has yet to be definitively located.

The "twist" I referred to previously is that while I now hold a doctorate in the sciences, I am entirely open to the possibility that the pineal gland serves an even greater purpose, for bidirectional flow to the outside of the body...as the "Third Eye" described by many ancient cultures, some of which still exist and maintain this concept today. [Spend much time around a fire with some of these peoples with your Western defences lowered, and you'll soon find yourself a believer.] This bit has nothing to do with my answer to Harrison's question. I'm putting it here as affirmation that a person can be both a qualified scientist and spiritual without the Earth spinning out of orbit and crashing into the sun. :p

Anyway, Descartes' theory is relevant to me because I view my AS as having both material [genetic/biological] and non-material [psychological/"soul"] components, with bidirectional influence. My Asperger's is as much about my mind as it is my body, in my opinion, full stop. As Descartes suggests the mind isn't constrained by the laws of nature, I feel this may answer the elusive question of why manifestations of AS are so incredibly diverse...perhaps more so than any other condition affecting the brain.

[EDIT: Typo correction]

I have strong reasons to believe that my personal experience with my autism spectrum disorder is of genetic nature and nothing more.

Any interest in sharing your reasons? Not wanting to debate. I always respect your insights, so am naturally curious.

You often raise the point that you consider yourself an Autie, rather than as Aspie. How would you describe your condition as different from Asperger's? Perhaps if we had a better grip on that, it would be easier to remember not to slight you in discussions. Forgive me if you've explained this previously. If you have, I'm afraid I've missed it.

Last edited:
I like the Descartes reference, and the bidirectional influence. Thanks.

I'm afraid I've neglected and forgotten much of my philosophical education. I'm so glad there's smart people 'round here.

I like the Descartes reference, and the bidirectional influence. Thanks.

I'm afraid I've neglected and forgotten much of my philosophical education. I'm so glad there's smart people 'round here.

Glad I was useful. I don't know about smart. But thanks for this:

cookie.JPG

Do I get a cookie? :D

Both: A biological root with a psychological stem

I'm a bit of a Cartesian Dualist, a person can be a qualified scientist and spiritual without the Earth spinning out of orbit and crashing into the sun. :p

You often raise the point that you consider yourself an Autie, rather than as Aspie. How would you describe your condition as different from Asperger's? Perhaps if we had a better grip on that, it would be easier to remember not to slight you in discussions. Forgive me if you've explained this previously. If you have, I'm afraid I've missed it.

I love your posts Nadador there aren't too many people that can make my head go sideways so I have to stop and think. Well I'm not in your league on philosophy. Dualist sounds cool I like guns:D I agree that science and religion are compatible if done right.:) And that the earth will not leave its present orbit, the moon however is a different issue.;) On the autism I think its diversity is explained as a cascade cell division divergence in early brain growth, the genetic pattern is clear but the divergence could be a environment damage? susceptibility due to a missing genetic protector. Or just bad genetic cell division tree code? Toss up?
Auti is different from aspie I'm guessing, we auties may have sufferings and powers aspies may not have, hard for me to sepparate these things tho as I have both.o_O

I think the NTs have messed up the world and we Aspies are here to give new vision and show change for better way. It is not clear to me what the question is or should be. I don't know.
Please don't steer this thread into the direction of Aspie Supremacy or putting down NT's. Thanks.

I tend to think genetic, just based on my family history. So many of us have a ton of traits. Many should be diagnosed. I think that's how my brother and I flew under the radar for so long. In our family, we're "normal". :p My brother and I tend to be more severe in most ways, which is why people finally noticed, but everyone in my family has something, whether sensory issues, OCD, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom