• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Glasses

Do you wear glasses?

• Yes; sometimes

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Yes; all the time

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No; I wear contacts

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No; I've had corrective eye surgery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

. . .

V.I.P Member
How many of you wear glasses?

It seems like a much higher percentage of people on the spectrum wear glasses than NTs. And I'm pretty sure that I recall reading in an ASD-related book that a high percentage of people on the spectrum have bad eyes. I can't recall if the reason for this is known or not.

Since we're on the topic of glasses: What do you think of these glasses I just ordered?

Nedwin220-face-zoom.jpg

Nedwin%2B220-side-zoom.jpg

Nedwin-Woman.jpg

I haven't received them so I can't take a pic of myself wearing them just yet.

Last edited:
I like your glasses too Aillas.

Myself, I don't wear glasses, neither have I ever needed to wear them. I like to wear sunglasses though, mostly because I find it uncomfortable when I'm out and I know I'm going to have to talk to people; if they can't see my eyes to begin with then they can't accuse me of not making eye contact and thus ignoring them. ;)

I like the glasses, they seem to suit you.

I wear glasses almost all the time, except when I'm bed or if I'm going to be immersed in the water [shower, swimming etc.]. I've needed glasses since I was a kid. I remember knowing I had some issues when I kept having to run right up to the blackboard to write down my teacher's notes.

Never needed glasses, if I decide I need a pair it'll be for looks only and non-prescription as they would actually ruin my superior eyesight. Tried a pair of prescription lenses once for fun, couldn't see a thing.

Nice glasses - nice design. If I wore glasses it would be something like those, Aillas.

Myself, I don't wear glasses, neither have I ever needed to wear them. I like to wear sunglasses though, mostly because I find it uncomfortable when I'm out and I know I'm going to have to talk to people; if they can't see my eyes to begin with then they can't accuse me of not making eye contact and thus ignoring them. ;)

I kind of like that about wearing sunglasses too, too bad I can't get away with wearing them in more situations (that would probably be perceived as a bit...weird). I have a pair of motorcycle googles that I've been using as sunglasses for the past few years (no, I don't actually have a motorcycle!); I sort of
enjoy how they look a little like "mad scientist" goggles too.

View attachment 1359

I've yet to require any corrective eyewear, but I might when I get older since both of my parents have to use reading glasses now. Of course, there could be some kind of super-advanced lasik-type thing that will fix that easily when I get to be about 50 or 60.

Last edited:
I wish I wear no glasses. Or at least, I wear a large goofy pair of sunglasses. But now I just wear glasses... Well, that's just me.

I might get these frames and put tinted lenses in them:

dolce-gabbana-3095-1601-me-XL.jpg

Don't know if I will though. . . . They're low in stock and are very expensive. However, they're made in Italy and are probably very high-quality frames so they'd likely be a worthwhile purchase. Glasses can last a person a lifetime, so to spend even $300 on them isn't so bad. Those same glasses would probably cost me $500-$600+ at an eye-care center. If I buy them it'll definitely be online since glasses tend to be much cheaper online than they are IRL; also, I doubt I'd be able to find this particular pair IRL.

They're some of the nicest frames I've ever seen. Everyone I've shown them to like them a lot.

Last edited:
I've worn glasses since I was quite young (6 or 7?). I remember when my parents were figuring out that I needed them. I could read and they picked a book off the shelf and asked me to read the title off the front from several feet away. I remember thinking to myself, "I wish I knew the title of that book" [off the top of my head]. However, I didn't know it so I failed the test and that's one of the reasons they knew I needed glasses. I hated glasses at first, but my vision quickly got so bad that I was glad to have them to be able to see. I do not want to switch to contacts because I am afraid of change but even more because I don't want to deal with everyone making a big deal over it, which they will. I really don't want to have to field all the questions and comments I'd get about it.

I've had my current pair of glasses for 4 years or so, and the lenses I have for them currently are the second set.

I had glasses since third grade, but only wore them more often after high school. I have more of eye focusing issues and such (hence why I wear them all the time). I try not to read with my glasses now, because I would ruin my eye sight be doing that. So I only wear them when I am not reading or up close to stuff.

Hm... The frames I seen in this thread are nice and I might consider them, if they don't rust on my face. :( The last frame I had did that and I had to get Titanium Steel to keep that for happening. Also transitions lens help when I am out in the sun. Getting perception sunglasses and then getting a regular pair of glasses just doesn't cut it for me. I am just glad I was able to get the glasses I have this time. I hope they last for a long while. :D

Anyways, for those that don't want to switch from sunglasses to regular glasses back and forth... I recommend transition lenses, and you get a choice of a gray tint of a brown one.

Also free feel to recommend frames to me. ^_^; I can't import though, unless it's worth it.

I have worn glasses since I was a baby. I am considered legally blind though have some vision. I wear my glasses from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. I rarely take them off because I get dizzy when i don't wear them. I have these great overlook sunglasses that I wear when I go outside.

I wear my glasses all the time. I really need it when I am in public and driving as I can't read signs without them.

I go to an adult education class for people on the spectrum and it often seems I'm the only person in the class who wears glasses.

I wear glasses and love it.

Occasionally an optometrist will ask if I want contacts. No thanks. Jabbing something into my eye on a regular basis sounds like No Fun.

I hate wearing glasses! I feel like a bug with no peripheral vision. People treat me different too when I'm wearing them. I should wear them when driving, but the truth is - I don't. Oops! :eek:

I wear glasses and love it.

Occasionally an optometrist will ask if I want contacts. No thanks. Jabbing something into my eye on a regular basis sounds like No Fun.

I cannot stand the concept of contacts. It just creeps me out having something sitting on your eye like that :/

New Threads

Top Bottom