• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting government support or not (non-financial)

I get that part - that is one of the things I need help with, I have shown pictures of my piles, to my support worker, so actually letting one into my home is not that bad anymore :)

I really struggle with executive functioning, I need simple well defined tasks, otherwise I'll run around like a headless chicken not getting anywhere... or well, I raised and fed a kid to become adult, so I'm getting somewhere, just not in a very efficient way :) I get the thing you say about independence, and the help I have gotten have been very respectful in that regards - like it has been me making the goals.
I'm the same as you. I have struggles with executive function, but, I've raised my children and if I hadn't of had that experience, I'd be even more behind the eight ball, in terms of being able to function as an adult. I'm able to see some light at the end of my personal tunnel with some supports in place. My current ones are temporary, and I'm approved and waiting for some more ongoing ones.
I see it as I'm also supporting my supports, as they need us as much as we need them. I know I'm a recipient that my supporters like having as a receiver of supports, as I'm proactive and open, communicative, honest and very grateful for everything they do to help me.

I'm the same as you. I have struggles with executive function, but, I've raised my children and if I hadn't of had that experience, I'd be even more behind the eight ball, in terms of being able to function as an adult. I'm able to see some light at the end of my personal tunnel with some supports in place. My current ones are temporary, and I'm approved and waiting for some more ongoing ones.
I see it as I'm also supporting my supports, as they need us as much as we need them. I know I'm a recipient that my supporters like having as a receiver of supports, as I'm proactive and open, communicative, honest and very grateful for everything they do to help me.
Yeah, our situation does indeed sound like it is very simelar, including my temp supporter telling me it being nice to help me - she says because I'm listening and reflecting a lot on what she say - when people, who's task it is to help me, tells me I'm doing good, I always wonder if they mean it or if it is part of the support to tell me:) anyway it is great help and I'll tell her tomorrow that I would like to go for the more longterm help.

I've been having trouble with antisocial neighbours, I live in social housing. Complaints never seemed to get anywhere and I was getting incredibly frustrated with the whole situation. I think part of this might be to do with autism, not expressionate enough when complaining.

Social housing is managed by private companies here but there's a government body that oversees them, eventually I complained to them to put pressure on my rental manager and she came around to see me about it. She seemed to be about to give me the same lip service with no results again and I said "Look, I'm actually special needs and I'm not asking for anything that isn't already in your rules." and I pulled out the card and handed it to her.

She instantly changed her attitude. For over a week now there's been no more doof doof music and yelling and carrying on late at night.
This is curious, I haven't ever had my needs respected more due to any diagnosis. Anything that has ever happened was getting a different exam time or a deadline postponed. When I have trouble getting someone to understand my health conditions, no notice from a doctor or empirical evidence helps. Maybe this is dofferent with state-owned or state-financed services.

When I did I visited the place and tried one on,
What kind of place? How did you get to know about it? I'm in a sinilar position that I have to figure out too much alone.

I don't know if I am supposed to walk around with it or what, but I will probably laugh a bit about it. Some aspects of having autism are a bit funny.
I guess, if it's comfortable, then wear it. I've never had one, but I imagine it can be like a heavy jacket, so comfy and why not wear it.

This is curious, I haven't ever had my needs respected more due to any diagnosis. Anything that has ever happened was getting a different exam time or a deadline postponed. When I have trouble getting someone to understand my health conditions, no notice from a doctor or empirical evidence helps. Maybe this is dofferent with state-owned or state-financed services.
I don't think she respected my condition so much as she has a healthy respect for her own position and doesn't want to get accused of mistreating a person with a disability. I personally don't consider it a disability but I'm happy that some other people do. Also, I wasn't asking her to make a special ruling for me but instead insisting that she enforce the existing rules.

It has been blissfully quiet here for a month now and it's making an incredible difference to my quality of life.

So time for an update, I have now been approved for help, one hour a week, in my home, for the next 6 months, and a phone number I can call if I have challenges between the visits :) I don't know who it will be yet, just got the letter that I was approved today. (It can be extended beyond the 6 months if I still need it, but it will require a different application process)

New Threads

Top Bottom