• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting government support or not (non-financial)

kriss72

they/them/their
V.I.P Member
I had a meeting with my social worker today (there is no better translation I know of), she is a pedagogue helping me with things like task breakdowns, planning, communication, etc.. (like I can contact her if/when I need e.g. if I get a letter I don't understand, or know how to answer, and then we have regular meetings every 1-2 weeks to make sure I know what to do for the next weeks) I have always known it was a temporary thing I could have her, even there wasn't any set limit on how long she could help me.

Today she told me her time with me is coming to an end, and that it is time for me to make a choice, she could make an application for me to get into the long term support system, where I will have someone specialized in autism come to my home to help me with the same things, so more or less what I get now, just with a different person, and it will be in my home instead of me going out - she couldn't make promises as she is "just" a pedagogue, and it is someone else making the decision, but told me it's a 98% chance I would be approved for the new help - the alternative is that I go solo (without support) after 4-6 sessions more with her, if I can't cope I can come back an make a new request for temporary support after some months, so kind of start a new temporary cycle, but it will be with whoever is available at the time.

I'm inclined to accept the offer and try to switch to the long term system, but would like to hear what experiences others have with getting this kind of help, like do you also need/get this kind of support? do you see it as long term beneficial? One worry is if I'll be in a worse position, if I get used to the support, and then it ends because of some budget cut one day... any thoughts are welcome :)

I think she would be what would be called an Occupational Therapist?

I am maybe your closest neighbour on these beautiful Nordic support systems.

As you know, I don't have access to one, but it is likely to come up in conversation in the next few weeks. So, I can report back.

All I can say is, if it is something you need, it is something you need. I don't think you can look at it, as getting overly reliant on it or not. If they decided to do budget cuts, that is an edge case that is unlikely, and you would find a solution to if it occurred.

I think you should accept the offer if you think it will make life easier to deal with.

Last edited:
One worry is if I'll be in a worse position, if I get used to the support, and then it ends because of some budget cut one day
I can understand your thinking here, but another way to think about it is that any time spent with a support worker could be to learn things and build skills that will support independence. So, even if it is ultimately temporary, it could still be helpful to your overall functioning. If you've had a sort of preview of the support services and they were helpful to you, it seems worth it to go for it.

I was offered the same thing after I had been diagnosed but my pride forced me to say no. I just couldn't bring myself to say "yes, I need help". I could hear my pride in the back of my head, it said "Don't even think about it, if you say yes to that I'll be soo pissed". So I'm struggling my way through everything on my own. But I'm used to it, done it for a long time.

I think you should accept the offer if you think it will make life easier to deal with.
You think someone is going to approach me with this offer?

You think someone is going to approach me with this offer?

I just want to first point out that I replied to Kriss72. So we're not misunderstanding each other here.

Didn't they mention that to you after you had been diagnosed? I assumed they asked everyone. I was diagnosed at the same place as you, the DPS. They asked me if I wanted to have someone who could help me with things, not sure what the correct English word for it is, a support worker of some sort.

I think she would be what would be called an Occupational Therapist?
Maybe - I tried using occupational therapist in google translate, it is not the same thing..., but could be a google issue :)
All I can say is, if it is something you need, it is something you need. I don't think you can look at it, as getting overly reliant on it or not. If they decided to do budget cuts, that is an edge case that is unlikely, and you would find a solution to if it occurred.
I have definitely benefited from what I got so far :)

I was offered the same thing after I had been diagnosed but my pride forced me to say no. I just couldn't bring myself to say "yes, I need help". I could hear my pride in the back of my head, it said "Don't even think about it, if you say yes to that I'll be soo pissed". So I'm struggling my way through everything on my own. But I'm used to it, done it for a long time.

I can understand that feeling, I was in way over my head, but if it hadn't been for my psychologist I would probably not have asked for the original help (even my assessment report said I needed it).

I can understand your thinking here, but another way to think about it is that any time spent with a support worker could be to learn things and build skills that will support independence. So, even if it is ultimately temporary, it could still be helpful to your overall functioning. If you've had a sort of preview of the support services and they were helpful to you, it seems worth it to go for it.
I like your thinking here - yeah, I have evolved from the help I got so far, so why shouldn't I from the new help.

...but would like to hear what experiences others have with getting this kind of help, like do you also need/get this kind of support?
I'm curious about this myself. Almost exactly the same as @Forest Cat I was offered this sort of help when I received my diagnosis but I rejected it. For me it wasn't pride though, it was fear. Sometimes I don't look after myself very well and my house can get pretty messy and the thought of someone coming around and seeing that was very embarrassing for me.

I've always had very high executive function, I'm far more organised than most people, but at the same time I do find a lot of simple tasks very stressful and will keep putting them off as much as I can. There's also the worry that if I start relying on other people to help me that I will lose what ability I have to do things myself. I worry that I'll lose some of my independence, and yet in other ways maybe that sort of assistance would be of value to me.

I'm curious about this myself. Almost exactly the same as @Forest Cat I was offered this sort of help when I received my diagnosis but I rejected it. For me it wasn't pride though, it was fear. Sometimes I don't look after myself very well and my house can get pretty messy and the thought of someone coming around and seeing that was very embarrassing for me.
I get that part - that is one of the things I need help with, I have shown pictures of my piles, to my support worker, so actually letting one into my home is not that bad anymore :)
I've always had very high executive function, I'm far more organised than most people, but at the same time I do find a lot of simple tasks very stressful and will keep putting them off as much as I can. There's also the worry that if I start relying on other people to help me that I will lose what ability I have to do things myself. I worry that I'll lose some of my independence, and yet in other ways maybe that sort of assistance would be of value to me.
I really struggle with executive functioning, I need simple well defined tasks, otherwise I'll run around like a headless chicken not getting anywhere... or well, I raised and fed a kid to become adult, so I'm getting somewhere, just not in a very efficient way :) I get the thing you say about independence, and the help I have gotten have been very respectful in that regards - like it has been me making the goals.

I did accept the special Autism card that I'm supposed to put in a lanyard. I just keep it in my wallet instead but it's been handy to have a couple of times.

How has it been helpful? (If you want to share)
I've been having trouble with antisocial neighbours, I live in social housing. Complaints never seemed to get anywhere and I was getting incredibly frustrated with the whole situation. I think part of this might be to do with autism, not expressionate enough when complaining.

Social housing is managed by private companies here but there's a government body that oversees them, eventually I complained to them to put pressure on my rental manager and she came around to see me about it. She seemed to be about to give me the same lip service with no results again and I said "Look, I'm actually special needs and I'm not asking for anything that isn't already in your rules." and I pulled out the card and handed it to her.

She instantly changed her attitude. For over a week now there's been no more doof doof music and yelling and carrying on late at night.

I could apply for this, but I do not want anyone coming into my home like that. I consider my home to be my private place. I also recently changed the way I shall try out a weighted vest, so it won't happen in my home but instead in some facility for that. It is incredibly important to be able to set up these boundaries. At some point I might change my mind, but then that will be my decisioin as well.

I could apply for this, but I do not want anyone coming into my home like that. I consider my home to be my private place. I also recently changed the way I shall try out a weighted vest, so it won't happen in my home but instead in some facility for that. It is incredibly important to be able to set up these boundaries. At some point I might change my mind, but then that will be my decisioin as well.
I understand your view, and it is your choice who you let into your home, as it should be. Personally I'm not too concerned with letting a support person come into my home.

I understand your view, and it is your choice who you let into your home, as it should be. Personally I'm not too concerned with letting a support person come into my home.
It is also because I feel, I am on some line about whether I truly need this help or not. So my feeling of being in control like that is also connected with that. If it was more urgent, I would probably give it less thought and just apply for it, like I apply for a weighed vest.

It is also because I feel, I am on some line about whether I truly need this help or not. So my feeling of being in control like that is also connected with that. If it was more urgent, I would probably give it less thought and just apply for it, like I apply for a weighed vest.
For my current support it was up to me if it should be in my home or not, I couldn't decide (if there isn't a clear benefit to one option, choice is hard for me) so just kept going to my support worker.

I never tried a weighted vest, but really love my weighted blanket :)

For my current support it was up to me if it should be in my home or not, I couldn't decide (if there isn't a clear benefit to one option, choice is hard for me) so just kept going to my support worker.

I never tried a weighted vest, but really love my weighted blanket :)
I have been somewhat surprised that after getting the diagnosis, I have had to find out for myself that there is such a thing as a weighted vest for instance. When I did I visited the place and tried one on, and it was such a good feeling, I immediately went home and applied for one. So in the nearest future I will go somewhere and test it. I don't know if I am supposed to walk around with it or what, but I will probably laugh a bit about it. Some aspects of having autism are a bit funny.

New Threads

Top Bottom