• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

General Medication Questions

LadyS

One eye permanently raised it seems...
V.I.P Member
This is more for anyone here or know someone else who takes medications for comorbidities like anxiety or ADHD, past and present. Still consider myself a rookie when it comes to these things, so just curious for how it has worked for different people. Has it worked for you or have any troubles with it in the past? When did you start taking it and for how long? Pros, cons?

I apologize if this is a trigger for some. This is purely out of curiosity, no agenda. I hear of things but rarely get to speak to people who've actually experienced it.

Taken citalopram for 15 years but it's only supposed to be a short period with talk therapy ,take an antihistamine (but I have an allergy that is year round .

I don't like mental health medication. I don't think it's appropriate for autism. Every time in my twenties I was prescribed it, it always just made me really high or really sleepy. My family and friends always remarked that they didn't like the "new me", and I found myself taking a lot of dangerous risks while on meds.

Many times, depression or anxiety in aspies is caused by actual events in their lives. And that just needs time to heal.

And it's not their fault, but neurotypicals don't exactly create a world that friendly to our needs, so we sort of grow up and grow old thinking there's something flawed in us, when it's not that we need to fit in, it's that we need to learn how to take care of ourselves in a bright, loud, fast paced world.

There's no magic pill for anyone that will make everyone all better. And jumping from med to med looking for the perfect fit is so damaging to your brain.

Last edited:
I don't like mental health medication. I don't think it's appropriate for autism. Every time in my twenties I was prescribed it, it always just made me really high or really sleepy. My family and friends always remarked that they didn't like the "new me", and I found myself taking a lot of dangerous risks while on meds.

Many times, depression or anxiety in aspies is caused by actual events in their lives. And that just needs time to heal.

And it's not their fault, but neurotypicals don't exactly create a world that friendly to our needs, so we sort of grow up and grow old thinking there's something flawed in us, when it's not that we need to fit in, it's that we need to learn how to take care of ourselves in a bright, loud, fast paced world.

There's no magic pill for anyone that will make everyone all better. And jumping from med to med looking for the perfect fit is so damaging to your brain.

Great points here. My break thru has been dealing with my emotions and allowing myself to workout how l feel. It does get easier and l find l tolerate shopping and errands much better.

I take a whole cocktail, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. Bluntly, I would be a mess without them. But! My depression and anxiety are more from PTSD (military) than my experiences with autism.

I need to take mental health medication because my family refuses to put me in a mental hospital even though I should probably be in one because I have extremely bad mental health. I take an anxiety medication which I'm not saying the name of but it's the highest dose and I've switched from two other ones in the past due to side effects. I have undiagnosed PTSD from multiple extremely bad traumas in my past which I have been unable to get a diagnosis for and I hope I get some kind of medicine or treatment for it soon because I'm having extreme difficulty coping with constant flashbacks, constant fear, and feeling like I always want to hide under my bed but I can't because the space isn't wide enough.

New Threads

Top Bottom