• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Genealogy

RainbowAura

On the outside wishing I was something
I’m really into genealogy. Is anyone else? Can go far back on a website dedicated to residents of where my ancestors lived. Goes back to 1600’s! (Not sure if it is all accurate though). This is my mother’s fathers side. This side is easier to look into but don’t know what else to do from here...know names not much else.
I have not been able to go far on my mother’s mothers side..because it’s international in a non English speaking county and I don’t know where to go from here. I read they charge (some researcher) a lot per hour so wasn’t able to do anything. I asked for help on a forum for people who research in this country but no one could do anything. I need birth certificates too. I don’t know where to go. Nan said we were descended from a royal baby which was from a king having a baby with the maid...this is interesting but no idea who and nan has passed.

As for my fathers side I know next to nothing. There is a large website for my fathers mother’s side...if it is accurate. According to it I’m related to dukes and duchesses...

I’m really into genealogy. I’ve studied 7 branches so far. In one branch I’ve traced my family to the 1100’s where I found my 31st great grandfather was William the Conqueror. I’m also a cousin of John Adams and his wife, President Polk, and famous botanist painter Dr. Robert Thornton!!

Feel free to message me if you so choose. I’d love to be your friend :)

Take care,

C.

I’m really into genealogy. I’ve studied 7 branches so far. In one branch I’ve traced my family to the 1100’s where I found my 31st great grandfather was William the Conqueror. I’m also a cousin of John Adams and his wife, President Polk, and famous botanist painter Dr. Robert Thornton!!

Feel free to message me if you so choose. I’d love to be your friend :)

Take care,

C.
Awesome when you find out you are related to a big name :)

Definitely. What I enjoy about genealogy most of all is it evokes a spirit of connection to loved ones of the past—at least for me it does. Ever find any pictures? When that happens it’s very cool?

part of my family's records were burned in the Easter uprising in the Republic of Ireland in 1916 -so that's one branch I can't investigate ,only got to the 1890s with other side.
and that part of my family don't speak to me .
you could try the consulate or embassy in the country of your ancestors then they could point you to somewhere English-speaking.
I sign e petitions and the embassies and consulates answer you fairly quickly .

Oh my goodness yes! It's like an enormous temporal jigsaw puzzle. I've been working on my tree since I was a teenager, before the internet made it much easier. I've been able to take many of my lines back to the 1600s and some to the early 1500s. It would go back much farther but I generally don't include dubious links that appear on other people's trees without checking them myself. The pleasure I get from breaking through a wall or making a connection that everyone else has missed is indescribable. I just wish I had someone to share my excitement with!

I had a similar problem with a non-English speaking country. I ended up saving up and paying a researcher local to the area my ancestors were from. It wasn't cheap (around 300 euros, 10 years ago) but the depth of information he was able to find was much greater than I would have been able to achieve from the other side of the world. I've also employed locals in other countries to visit sites and take photos for me, which was much cheaper.

Some countries have genealogical databases or groups available online which are difficult to find if you don't speak the language. Try using Google Translate to find the word for "genealogy" in your target language, then search for that word in combination with the name of the region you're interested in. Even if you don't find any databases you might find a genealogical society that you can write to. Often they will be very helpful. I've even had some free information sent my way which under normal circumstances I'd have to pay for.

Last edited:
My mother's younger sister has been very
involved in genealogical searching. She has
amassed quantities of printouts from her
searches. She has compiled many 3-ring
binders full of names.

Recently she shredded enough paper, from
dead-ends, to fill two garbage bags.

She sent me some clippings.
I told her that I didn't know what to do with them.
She said, just look at them.

She says she likes reading about the dead people
because they don't change. I don't know. I don't
get the appeal.

I just put in the search engine Bing 'genealogical Society of Mexico 'nothing came up for that !but there was one for people of Latin American Spanish descent in southern California which means it might be bilingual .
if they are French speaking try Québec as they are bilingual as well, there was also a genealogical Society of Norway .

part of my family's records were burned in the Easter uprising in the Republic of Ireland in 1916 -so that's one branch I can't investigate ,only got to the 1890s with other side.
and that part of my family don't speak to me .
you could try the consulate or embassy in the country of your ancestors then they could point you to somewhere English-speaking.
I sign e petitions and the embassies and consulates answer you fairly quickly .
Thank you. That’s very helpful. My English and Irish roots always need maintenance. I’ll check into that :)

-Chaz

My mother's younger sister has been very
involved in genealogical searching. She has
amassed quantities of printouts from her
searches. She has compiled many 3-ring
binders full of names.

Recently she shredded enough paper, from
dead-ends, to fill two garbage bags.

She sent me some clippings.
I told her that I didn't know what to do with them.
She said, just look at them.

She says she likes reading about the dead people
because they don't change. I don't know. I don't
get the appeal.
Last October I visited a 90 yr old cousin 3x removed. I amassed many old pictures and notes. The notes were written in school notebooks. There were—I kid you not—10-15 books filled on front and back. I was told a gggg grandmother did that to keep her sanity. Well, I captured more family history dating back as early as 1410.

Also, ancestry is a life saver but nothing beats meeting a blood relative :)

-Chaz

Try FamilySearch.org. I believe it's free to create an account, and they have data sharing agreements with Ancestry.com and a few other organizations.

i tried genes reunited .com but they don't give you much for free I got one line of my great grandmothers birth only year of birth !and then the photograph of a copy of the death records of my Great grandmother for that year and have the day and month of birth ,but it was just one line along with a lot of other people with the same surname in alphabetical order .
ancestry.com let you try it for free for one month! but make sure you tell them before the month is up or they will charge you $19.99 after that.
they have a UK site ancestry.co.uk .
if you want a copy of a birth ,marriage or death certificate in the UK you go to the register of births ,marriages and deaths and order it.
genesreunited is just for the UK,I tried for other countries it wouldn't do it .

I've been involved with it. I traced things back to my great great great great great grandfather who was born in 1745. It's pretty neat to trace this stuff. Interesting as well that I descend from 1 of the founders of my hometown.

just want to findmypast.com ,if you type in New York boat arrivals you can get details of anybody from any country as long as you know the name and approximate date of birth and arrival date
don't bother with the rest it's just for the United Kingdom

ive been researching myself for 25 years

some are easy... like the Agee's... if you come across one in the US they are all descendants of the same person.

some are difficult, like Robertsons... mine are from nashville, but distant cousins of the founder of Nashville.

if you have a USA library card, see if your library has joined HERITAGEQUEST ... its supposed to be connected with all libraries, but i dont know if all libraries connect to it

31st great grandfather was William the Conqueror. I’m also a cousin of John Adams and his wife, President Polk

John adams was my 7th great uncle

i have 7 other presidents than polk and adams on my family tree

and for william the conqueror? depending on what line i view, im 25th, 27th, 28th great grandson, and a cousin

well if you swing over to the green isles
1) see if you find alot in your surname buried in a church yard

2) look through church records there

New Threads

Top Bottom