• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gastrointestinal Issues in Aspies

gallopingllama

I'm unsure if anyone here has had any GI (Gastrointestinal) conditions but there is new research that shows that children with AS are prone to have GI issues and in some cases there is no medical cause but yet it happens like this in children.

For about four or five years now I have been having some intermittent GI issues but they are worsening and I have seen two of the top guys in my region and they can't even seem to find any cause whether is be diet, trauma etc.

If any Aspies here are having these issues I suggest getting in touch with a Gastroentonologist and also doing some studying on the research being funded by Autism Speaks.

All kinds of auto-immune afflictions are associated with AS en left-handed people. The prevailing theory is that is due to the suppression of the development of the left hemisphere by an abundance of testosterone in the mothers blood, the left being responsible for the immune system.

I myself have colitis. a good natural help is Passionflower capsules. They are slightly sedative but have a good calming effect on the bowels. I take 3 times a day 1 gram Passionflower powder which aids in calmng anxiety and loose bowels. Take to much and you'll actually get constipated.

I have GI issues, it is really restrictive in terms of what I can do. I can control it reasonably well by not eating foods that I am intolerant of - gluten, citrus fruits, MSG are the main ones. Any alcoholic beverage apart from white spirits (gin, vodka) and white wine inevitably causes problems. Stress is also a major trigger.

I also find that colofac (medication - long muscle relaxant) is pretty good.

Well my GI issue has been internal bleeding =/ and the darn Gastroentonologists have such mixed opinions on what it is I mean on one hand lab work and visual proof confirms the bleeding but on the other hand when they have had looks with scopes they dont see any cause at all.

Generally movement is triggering the blood so say I walk 100 yards then I start bleeding... Its not very fun in the least.

Have had issues myself. When I was in my teens (pre AS diagnosis) I thought it was a pain issue related to arthritis (motorcycle wreck age 12), as it seemed I had more GI issues in cold weather. It seemed to come and go until about 10yrs ago and has been fairly persistent since. My doctor wrote it off as IBS, but is now having me try the Casein and Gluten free diet to see if either of those are the issue. Personally I think a lot has to do with stress. The more normal I have to act = the more GI issues I have. I think it could be a combination of internalized anxiety, sleep deprivation (also a common aspie trait) and auto-immune as all of these conditions individually affect one's GI tract and having more than one could present exponential problems. My issues became severe when I was laid off about 10 years ago, there was some bleeding too from excessive stomach acid passing through my system (I think it would be called ulceration). That subsided after a couple of years by watching my diet (lowing sugar intake and taking pro-biotics) and exercising more (reduced stress). For what it's worth, the new diet plan I'm trying seems to be helping some...it is my understanding that it could be my immune system attacking my small intestines when there are traces of gluten/casien in the food I eat. Keep seeing your doctor, but I recommend doing your own research and being an advocate for yourself...become an expert, as you know more about how you feel than a doctor can determine...also keep a food journal to look for different allergens and times/event when eating to note stress levels. Hope this helps, but I'm still working on figuring my issues out as well. Good luck.

Great post, Ben.

I think I had been having some GI problems for the last 1,5 year. I couldn't leave to work before going to the bathroom 3 times at least (is this too much sharing!?). After ruling out diet changes, I figured it was too much anxiety from trying to act Neurotipically. Since I began taking mild relaxants, I'm feeling a whole lot better and can sleep a bit more in the morning.

As a child, I used to have some problems too, but it was the other way around.

Have had issues myself. When I was in my teens (pre AS diagnosis) I thought it was a pain issue related to arthritis (motorcycle wreck age 12), as it seemed I had more GI issues in cold weather. It seemed to come and go until about 10yrs ago and has been fairly persistent since. My doctor wrote it off as IBS, but is now having me try the Casein and Gluten free diet to see if either of those are the issue. Personally I think a lot has to do with stress. The more normal I have to act = the more GI issues I have. I think it could be a combination of internalized anxiety, sleep deprivation (also a common aspie trait) and auto-immune as all of these conditions individually affect one's GI tract and having more than one could present exponential problems. My issues became severe when I was laid off about 10 years ago, there was some bleeding too from excessive stomach acid passing through my system (I think it would be called ulceration). That subsided after a couple of years by watching my diet (lowing sugar intake and taking pro-biotics) and exercising more (reduced stress). For what it's worth, the new diet plan I'm trying seems to be helping some...it is my understanding that it could be my immune system attacking my small intestines when there are traces of gluten/casien in the food I eat. Keep seeing your doctor, but I recommend doing your own research and being an advocate for yourself...become an expert, as you know more about how you feel than a doctor can determine...also keep a food journal to look for different allergens and times/event when eating to note stress levels. Hope this helps, but I'm still working on figuring my issues out as well. Good luck.

I never really had these issues in childhood (that or I just dont remember) but like I said it started developing in my first years of adulthood and has been progressively getting worse and yeah some MD's tried to initially write it off as Hemmoroids, Fissures or would ask if I had any trauma but the thing is there was never any medical proof of any of those ailments but yet repeated testing showed blood and I could see the blood. Then a handful of MD's (four) thought it was Arteriovenous Malformation and then that was not it and now they are thinking that somehow I have a special type of fissure somewhere that somehow they have missed after multiple colonscopies and sigmoidscopies.... But honestly if you don't see it how can you conclude that is what it is?

Anyways the struggle continues and as a result of them not being able to nail it down they are hitting me with a nice combo of meds that try to attack it from every possible angle and yet the blood continues.

I take multivitamins, eat plenty of fiber and nothing seems to work.

Great post, Ben.

I think I had been having some GI problems for the last 1,5 year. I couldn't leave to work before going to the bathroom 3 times at least (is this too much sharing!?). After ruling out diet changes, I figured it was too much anxiety from trying to act Neurotipically. Since I began taking mild relaxants, I'm feeling a whole lot better and can sleep a bit more in the morning.

As a child, I used to have some problems too, but it was the other way around.

Pedro, I don't think its too much for sharing because if we dont share then others will think they are alone on the issue but yeah I have the same issue... Trying walking 100 yrds and then bleeding and say you wanna go to a mall and then you have to tell friends that you have to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes even though your not going to the bathroom but trying to take care of blood.

I have IBS. It sucks because I'm a nervous person to begin with and it doesn't help my mood very much. I have to catch the train into the city everyday and trains make me nervous. Stomach cramps and going to bathroom every second, it's not very fun :(

I can't speak about it, other than well, I know people who get stomach cramps all the time and have AS. But not all AS people have stomach cramps.

I have IBS. Worst flare up occurred during my college algebra class last semester. I had to put myself on a clear liquid diet. As soon as I would eat any solid food, I'd get severe stomach pain and cramps. It got to be so bad that I couldn't eat anything and lost 8 lbs in one week. I was still able to exercise and do everything else, I just couldn't eat a darn thing. Kinda scared me because I thought I was going to have to see a GI doctor, but I put off doing that because I pretty much knew that it was happening due to all the anxiety I was under. I found some peppermint tea made out of 100% pure peppermint for IBS and after a couple bags I was actually better. I also always take Metamucil - the original grainy kind. More fiber helps IBS as well.

I had a small flare up last night, actually, because my normal routine was changed with me having to sleep at the hospital. I'm ok now since I'm back home.

All my life I had cramps and discomforts. I'm 36yo and last year I drastically changed my diet and it really helped. I feel so much better today than I was last year. Its definitely something to look into, not just for aspies.

Also I bumped into this page earlier today:
AutismCanada.org | Treatments: Biomedical

There is some interesting articles on it, more or less related to this topic.

I have diverticulitis myself. I'm thinking it's because of the stress and anxiety that is common to aspies. I can remember being under a lot of stress and having a feeling in my colon area years ago. Now I have diverticulitis attacks in that same area. Stress can literally destroy your body. As a child in school my whole day every day was constant stress.

I have gastroesophageal reflux disease. Basically anything with grease or animal fat is like ingesting battery acid. Makes it quite precarious to eat at any mainstream restaurant. Something I don't wish on anyone.

Ok mine's a bit descriptive but I'll be honest with what I've had to deal with.

Well mine started in the womb and the whole GI system is a train wreck. For starters I had Hirschprungs they diagnosed at age 8 and took out a bunch of intestine, one section from having a colostomy. By then I was literally off the growth charts and even by age 9 I was the size of a 5 year old. Anyone not familiar, Hirschprungs has a narrowing of the colon that lacks nerve endings so you basically plug up and poison yourself and stunt your growth. Seems reasonable it's not only physical growth but mental growth and possibly a cause of asperger or autism traits. I've got most of them it seems.

But even later on nothing was right. Was ok for a few years then steady intestinal blockages and living on a 6 week cycle (5 weeks not pooping, 1 week puking up food and crap) and that went on for years till I almost died then they went in and fixed that at 15. Then ok for awhile and it came back to haunt me in college again, but not as bad and I learned to manage it with heating pads and laxatives.

Basically since being cut open the first time I've lived off antacids. Then in 2005 started the acid reflux which an antacid won't touch as it feels like drowning in battery acid. Learned to deal with that with eating habits, and first with acid pills and now I just eat raw baking soda which works better than anything and is much cheaper.

Then in 2006 started the achalasia which is the worst thing of all. It comes and goes in phases. I've learned to deal with it for the most part but occassionaly still have to go force it up and clean it out. I'm certain that is related to the acid reflux. It's a lazy nerve. When it stays open less achalasia but more acid. When it stays closed more achalasia but less acid.

Then like many I have IBS too. Go for days on end with no activity. Then usually in the middle of the night starts the severe cramps and dump several feet over several hours.

Being only 37, who knows what the future holds. BTW my mom has diverticulitis and dad has acid reflux, and even my 13 year old daughter has been having acid problems for years.

I have Roscia, ADHD, sensitive skin, and take meds that don't let me drink alcohol, on top of my ASD and IBS. Not that I'd want too even if my meds did allow alcohol intake. I'm considered a very picky eater. I eat most major foods with protein in it if it's cooked enough and prepared the right way. Certain fruits and veges I can't eat no matter what, most seasonings, and I'm picky on how my eggs are cooked. I prefer hard boiled and NEVER consume runny. My can't eat list is quite large, ( if u want to see it let me know) but, I've found something's it depends on it's state. For example. If u cook well cleaned organic carrots I'll eat them. However, raw is just too sweet and tough. The texture of certain other veges/ fruits need cooking too. Like onion, anise, broccoli, broccoli flower, and cauliflower. However, on occasion cauliflower raw heads might be okay in moderation. Some of my can't haves's I'll mention because I'm particularly interested to see if any of you can eat them or not. Here it is. - pineapple, citrus except clementines ( and only them in a raw state), grape juice of any kind, soy anything, honey dew, honey, and coconut. Anyone have any issues with any of these things? If so, what and why?

I too have problems. I had all the tests and was on various proton pump inhibitors for about 2 years. They stopped working. I then started acupuncture and it had an almost immediate effect. I was off all medication within a month.

I also discovered that it is stress that causes it. Work related stress. I have been off sick for quite a while and if work call me I can almost guarantee stomach pain and problems for 48 hours.

I have that too! Chocolate, certain greasy foods, tomato products, and Tabasco sauce cause mine to flare up. Chocolate is the worst. A simple Hershey's kiss will cause the acid to flare up so bad that I start gagging. Antacids won't help and the medication takes forever to kick in. Mass quantities of ice water seems to be the only thing that helps. Baking soda in water is an excellent fix, which is why I carry a jar with me in my backpack to work.

Interesting. Chocolate certainly creates acid in my stomach later, but it's not a "trigger" food. It can go right past my esophagus without incident. Pretty much anything sweet I can eat. It's the foods that are good for me that often prove to be so bad....go figure.

I'm pretty sure I inherited this condition from my mother...but I do have a hard time connecting it to any neurological factors . Especially since it's seldom stress- related for myself.

As far as the acid, eating too much or eating anything several hours before bed is horrible so I avoid that. What I have to do is keep on several pillows, and only lay on the left side (from anatomy). But I have to do that or I'll have acid, regardless of what I eat or don't eat. Not stress for me. Doesn't matter if I'm on vacation or not. But some foods are guaranteed triggers, the worst being peanuts. Nothing worse waking up literally drowning with your lungs and throat full of battery acid except battery acid combined with the grit of chewed up peanuts.

Nothing to really stop the acid once it starts, but pound some baking soda or acid pills and fight it for a half hour as the volcano settles down. Many times it soothes it to trickle down blue or green koolaid. Then I'm sitting straight up for the next couple hours, sometimes just sleep sitting up. Then I have to cough the nasty stuff out of the deepest part of my lungs for the next 2-3 days.

But sometimes even several times through the night I get what I call acid headache. But sometimes during the day. Huge quick stress or anxiety can do that. So can eating any of those sticky granola bars, 100% guaranteed.

A bit ago I read this book called Acid/Alkaline. Amazing all the things that are considered good for you that turn to acid inside your body.

New Threads

Top Bottom