• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gardens

Alaric593

How's your garden this year? Peppers are coming in great for us. We switched to containers for them this year because our patio is the only place that gets enough sun. For tomatoes too. The flowers are out but the fruit hasn't developed as of yet.

20220630_115150.jpg
20220630_115140.jpg
20220630_115137.jpg
20220630_115134.jpg

Attachments

• 20220630_115150.jpg
    20220630_115150.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 54
I wasn’t feeling well this spring so I didn’t plant anything. However, the perennials that I planted last summer came up…

I planted some table grape vines last year and they survived the winter. In fact, there are quite a few clusters of baby grapes:
upload_2022-6-30_15-56-16.jpeg

And my apple mint came up strong. I want to make apple mint tea if I can:
upload_2022-6-30_15-58-45.jpeg

As you can see the garden needs a good weeding and my grape vines need some water. Next year I plan on growing basil so I can make a batch of pesto sauce.

I miss my garden.

Although in my living room window I have a lovely little rose bush and a pot full of some kind of delicate little pink flowers, that my daughter got me for my birthday.

Maybe I should take up bonzai pruning? That'd be really fun to learn.

I would like to have a window herb garden. I don't know much about houseplants. All my gardening has been outdoors. I wonder which herbs are good for shady windowsills, if you live in an apartment similar to this:

I wasn’t feeling well this spring so I didn’t plant anything. However, the perennials that I planted last summer came up…

I planted some table grape vines last year and they survived the winter. In fact, there are quite a few clusters of baby grapes:
View attachment 80865

And my apple mint came up strong. I want to make apple mint tea if I can:
View attachment 80866

As you can see the garden needs a good weeding and my grape vines need some water. Next year I plan on growing basil so I can make a batch of pesto sauce.

If the veggies you planted are healthy, I wouldn't weed, and I'll tell you why.

Slugs and other bugs will eat the weeds (their native food) and leave your plants alone.

Also those wild plants might be companion plants (in a similar way that carrots love tomatoes) that are putting nutrients into the soil that make your cultivated plants stronger, and in likewise fashion, your cultivated plants may be making the weeds happy.

PS: I think I see bittersweet nightshade and fireweed in that picture. You're a lucky gardener. Those are both plants that repair the soil.

And Fireweed is good eating. You can use the flowers to make jams and juices.

But double check that it is really fireweed. Don't just take my word for it.

Bittersweet nightshade is poisonous, but it sure is pretty to look at.

I miss my garden.

Although in my living room window I have a lovely little rose bush and a pot full of some kind of delicate little pink flowers, that my daughter got me for my birthday.

Maybe I should take up bonzai pruning? That'd be really fun to learn.

I would like to have a window herb garden. I don't know much about houseplants. All my gardening has been outdoors. I wonder which herbs are good for shady windowsills, if you live in an apartment similar to this:

There's many that grow in partial shade. Cilantro, dill and chives, mint among others do

I'm not at all in charge of this garden, but I've lived in it all my life and seen it transform a lot over the decades. This picture is already quite out of date but I have nothing better on hand. It's a lot fuller and taller currently. Spring's been really kind to the flowers this year. There was a greenhouse for a while too but we're moving stuff around so all we have is grapes, apples and walnuts. It's very much my mother's lifework, I've seen in pictures what it looked like back in '94. A barren but overgrown strip of land. The wood behind the hammock on the left there is converted remnants of an old slide and swingset that I used when I was young.
xobtmfH.jpg

@Yeshuasdaughter I read a little about fireweed since you mentioned it. The leaves can be used to make a tea. I love teas. So I will first see if it is really fireweed, and, if it is, I would like to make some tea from it. I imagine that you could make tea from the flowers as well.

20220425_131037.jpg

This is our garden a short while ago. I will post how it looks now next or soon. We have a lot of plants booming now here and at the allotment.

Our garden now.

20220701_100503.jpg

There's another pumpkin (a Racer, he takes approximately 85 days to get his pumpkins to our table!) on the left, out of the shot, I am training one that's got vines (a Jack o' Lantern) around the box of the second one that's a Zombie pumpkin. Those 2, which you can see here, take 110 days, but all 3 have already got at least one pumpkin started!

The Zombies produce pumpkins that have crusty blistering on their rind. Good for Halloween! We have a big bed of pumpkins on the allotment, all those 3 types plus several more we got in the local shop as small plants, and without knowing their type. Fun to find out.

Actually one that's starting to fruit looks like a courgette so far! We have a bed of courgettes too. I'm already harvesting them. Zucchini, yellow and green.

I'm not the best photographer but I went into the garden today to take some up to date pictures as I do really like how full it looks currently.

7ovLRj3.jpg
8rXPoWh.jpg
vpYTqQq.jpg
ZLFV3T6.jpg
ZOg6BiI.jpg
ctcd2Iv.jpg
qjtyLK1.jpg

@Yeshuasdaughter I read a little about fireweed since you mentioned it. The leaves can be used to make a tea. I love teas. So I will first see if it is really fireweed, and, if it is, I would like to make some tea from it. I imagine that you could make tea from the flowers as well.

We cooked with the leaves. They're good in stews and stir fries. Or just eatin when you're outside and hungry.

We're soaking green onion roots, and there will soon be two celery root ends soaking as well, for our windowsill garden.

New Threads

Top Bottom