• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gardening

Leave them for longer than one day.

What develops will be stronger.

"burying them just slightly".....
How slightly?

A layer so thin they are detectable might work, for awhile,
in the house. By soil, you did mean potting soil, yes?
Not putting them in the ground.

Leave them for longer than one day.

What develops will be stronger.

"burying them just slightly".....
How slightly?

A layer so thin they are detectable might work, for awhile,
in the house. By soil, you did mean potting soil, yes?
Not putting them in the ground.

ok, how long should I leave them before I put them in soil?

Slightly, as in probably 1/4" or less.. I think the seed packaging said 1/4", so I was aiming for around that..

Soil that I'm putting them in first is the 60/40 mix of peat moss and vermiculite I mentioned my mom suggested.. After (if) they sprout out of the ground and have a few roots, I've been repotting them in larger containers that have some compost mixed in as well..

Our ground is still frozen here, so I'm not planting anything outdoors just yet.

OK...This is lettuce.

I have very little experience with lettuce.

Mustard greens, collards, turnips. I don't sprout these.
Squash of many kinds. These I have sprouted until the root penetrates the paper towel.
That isn't a problem. Just tear around the rooty part and put the seed, root, and piece
of paper towel in the dirt.

I used to grow tomatoes and peppers until I figured out I was
allergic to night shades.

OK...This is lettuce.

Squash of many kinds. These I have sprouted until the root penetrates the paper towel.
That isn't a problem. Just tear around the rooty part and put the seed, root, and piece

Ok, well I'll try leaving the next batch for a couple extra days on the paper towel perhaps and see if that makes them stronger..

So much trial and error it seems.. Who knew growing plants would be such a challenge.. lol

I just made up a little ziplock of 3 peppers, 12 lettuce (2 kinds), and 3 sage seeds.. So.. We'll see how it goes!

A head's up on the sprouting, and moving to potting soil. Make sure your hands and the tools and the containers you are using are quite clean, that is cleaned with soap and air dried. I've sprouted lettuce and moved the sprouted seedlings to small peat pots. But any bacteria on your hands may interfere. Do you know about hardening off? Before you move the delicate seedlings (with more than three leaves) fully outside?

Also there is the idea that not every packet of seed is viable. Some, even store bought seed packets may be old, and will not germinate. Make sure to check the dates on the packets.

Last edited:
Hi Gardeners! Hopefully someone can help me!
I didn't grow up on a farm, I moved from the city, so I'm learning as I go here..
I've grown onions, garlic, potatoes... Mostly root vegetables, all direct sown in the garden.
Last year, I built a greenhouse, and I got some grow lights set up inside over winter..
Now, I'm trying to start some of the more temperature sensitive plants inside (tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, spinach) so I can move them to the greenhouse/outside later..
My struggle has been with germination.. I'm generally getting <50% germination on whatever I plant. Once it germinates and gets going, I don't normally have a problem keeping it alive..
Per my mom's suggestions, I'm using a mix of about 60% peat moss and 40% vermiculite that I wet down, and put in a tray of 72 cells. The most success I've had is when I just put the seeds on top and cover them with a little extra vermiculite. It seems like if I actually bury the seeds at all in the mix, I get very low germination.
I have 7" domes over the trays, with the grow light a couple inches about the dome. I have a couple heat mats for the plants that particularly like that (didn't use heat mats for the lettuce/spinach, cause it sounded like they prefer cooler temps).
My water was a little on the alkaline side (7.5pH) being well water, so I've been mixing it with some snow melt I collected in a bucket to get around a 6 or so pH.

Anyways, any tips, or easier ways to do this? It seems to me like it shouldn't be this fussy to get a few greens going..

Where do you live? Gardening must be tailored to your climate and soil conditions. I live in the deep south where the climate is mostly tropical and soil is rich. We also have lots of insects that like to eat whatever I grow and I'm getting older so I don't like planting straight into the ground. Container gardening and raised beds make it easier to weed and control insects without using poison.

The only seeds I germinate are lettuce, spinach, peas, radishes, parsley, cilantro, basil and other herbs, and turnip, collard and mustard greens. I plant the seeds under a thin layer of soil in the containers. Those are all cold weather plants that don't require greenhouses where I live. I buy bedding plants in spring that professional growers started from seed in greenhouses. Those include tomatoes, squash, and all kinds of peppers that need warm soil before planting.

I have had a compost pile for decades which I use to enhance store-bought potting soil. Just spread about an inch of compost on top of your garden area and work it into the soil. I always fertilize at half the strength advocated by the manufacturers and make a spray of liquid dish soap and water to control pests.

We have apple, peach, plum, pear and fig trees, blueberries and muscadine grape vines, pecan and hickory trees for nuts. Husband planted a dozen native peach trees last month which are virtually impervious to disease and insects. They are planted in our fenced backyard to prevent deer and our horses and donkeys from eating them but it will be several years before they produce fruit.

I love gardening for both the outdoor exercise and the freshness of the produce. If we can't immediately eat what we grow, then I can it, freeze it, or dehydrate it for later use. We don't have to do those things, can afford to buy groceries, but right now, during Covid-19 hysteria, we have good fresh food at our fingertips. It's my virus victory garden.

Last edited:
3 peppers

You'll need to use bell pepper seeds from locally grown varieties of pepper species. If you are using seeds removed from fresh bell peppers that you have bought at a store. They may or may not germinate, but they also may not be adapted to your climate growing zone. Seeds from other countries grown in tropical climates are difficult to propagate.

Canada Interactive Plant Hardiness and Gardening Zone Map

Some my best vegetables grow in the compost pile and I'm not adverse to picking and using them. :) Right now, there are scallions, leeks, and potatoes growing in the pile, all of which came up from kitchen trimmings I put in the pile. Other things sprout there in the summer - tomatoes, peppers, avocados, etc.

You'll need to use bell pepper seeds from locally grown varieties of pepper species. If you are using seeds removed from fresh bell peppers that you have bought at a store. They may or may not germinate, but they also may not be adapted to your climate growing zone. Seeds from other countries grown in tropical climates are difficult to propagate.

"Someone" smuggled some sour orange seeds from the Yucatan which I have propagated in small containers in a south facing window. I can't grow citrus in the ground where I live (too cold) so I'll have to plant them in pots and put them in my sister's greenhouse over winters. I have a large potted Meyer lemon that produces lemons every fall and lives just fine in our garage during winter. Maybe one day I'll get a greenhouse, too. Husband could build one for us now that he is finally finished building the new chicken house.

A head's up on the sprouting, and moving to potting soil. Make sure your hands and the tools and the containers you are using are quite clean, that is cleaned with soap and air dried. I've sprouted lettuce and moved the sprouted seedlings to small peat pots. But any bacteria on your hands may interfere. Do you know about hardening off? Before you move the delicate seedlings (with more than three leaves) fully outside?

Also there is the idea that not every packet of seed is viable. Some, even store bought seed packets may be old, and will not germinate. Make sure to check the dates on the packets.

Good to know about clean hands and such..
I move my seedlings out to the garage to harden off before moving them outside once it's warmer..
I've also got a fan on them, as someone suggested that helps the plants grow stronger and be better prepared for winds and such..

All the dates on my packets are for a couple years from now.. I just bought them a couple months ago, so you'd hope they're viable..

Where do you live? Gardening must be tailored to your climate and soil conditions. I live in the deep south where the climate is mostly tropical and soil is rich. We also have lots of insects that like to eat whatever I grow and I'm getting older so I don't like planting straight into the ground. Container gardening and raised beds make it easier to weed and control insects without using poison.

The only seeds I germinate are lettuce, spinach, peas, radishes, parsley, cilantro, basil and other herbs, and turnip, collard and mustard greens. I plant the seeds under a thin layer of soil in the containers. Those are all cold weather plants that don't require greenhouses where I live. I buy bedding plants in spring that professional growers started from seed in greenhouses. Those include tomatoes, squash, and all kinds of peppers that need warm soil before planting.

I have had a compost pile for decades which I use to enhance store-bought potting soil. Just spread about an inch of compost on top of your garden area and work it into the soil. I always fertilize at half the strength advocated by the manufacturers and make a spray of liquid dish soap and water to control pests.

We have apple, peach, plum, pear and fig trees, blueberries and muscadine grape vines, pecan and hickory trees for nuts. Husband planted a dozen native peach trees last month which are virtually impervious to disease and insects. They are planted in our fenced backyard to prevent deer and our horses and donkeys from eating them but it will be several years before they produce fruit.

I love gardening for both the outdoor exercise and the freshness of the produce. If we can't immediately eat what we grow, then I can it, freeze it, or dehydrate it for later use. We don't have to do those things, can afford to buy groceries, but right now, during Covid-19 hysteria, we have good fresh food at our fingertips. It's my virus victory garden.

I live in BC, Canada. Growing zone where I am is about 4, so I need the greenhouse for a lot of things..
My outside soil is rocky and silty.. I've been working on building up a garden space with manure, top soil from a local landscaping yard, and other compost.. But most stuff I grow right now is in raised beds, old tires, or pots, cause I don't really have enough outside soil to grow in well just yet..

I haven't started trees yet.. That is on the list for this year.. But fortunately, I live on a hill with only a few other people, and everyone has farms.. So, we share.. One neighbour will have tons of tomatoes and cucumbers, another will have peaches and apricots..

Speaking of clean.

Clean includes washing hands after touching tobacco products.

What Is in a Cigarette That Can Kill Plants?

That won't be a problem for me.. :p

I bought the pepper seeds, they aren't from the store.. They will not survive in our growing zone without the greenhouse..

Some my best vegetables grow in the compost pile and I'm not adverse to picking and using them. :) Right now, there are scallions, leeks, and potatoes growing in the pile, all of which came up from kitchen trimmings I put in the pile. Other things sprout there in the summer - tomatoes, peppers, avocados, etc.

I'm not adverse to that either.. A little compost I figure is probably not as bad as whatever the commercial growers spray on our food..
Last fall I planted a rhubarb bulb in a pile of manure we have.. We'll see how well it likes that..

I bought the pepper seeds, they aren't from the store.. They will not survive in our growing zone without the greenhouse..

Bell Pepper Varieties that do well in Zone 4 (which I live in as well, short growing season)
  • Green peppers that turn Red: ‘Lady Bell’, ‘Gypsy’, ‘Bell Boy’, ‘Lipstick’
  • …Orange: ‘Milena’, ‘Orange Sun’
  • …Yellow: ‘Golden California Wonder’

Bell Pepper Varieties that do well in Zone 4 (which I live in as well, short growing season)
  • Green peppers that turn Red: ‘Lady Bell’, ‘Gypsy’, ‘Bell Boy’, ‘Lipstick’
  • …Orange: ‘Milena’, ‘Orange Sun’
  • …Yellow: ‘Golden California Wonder’

Mine are California Wonder.. But it looks like they will go red too.. At least, the picture on the package shows a red pepper.. lol

Good to know about clean hands and such..
I move my seedlings out to the garage to harden off before moving them outside once it's warmer..
I've also got a fan on them, as someone suggested that helps the plants grow stronger and be better prepared for winds and such..

All the dates on my packets are for a couple years from now.. I just bought them a couple months ago, so you'd hope they're viable..

I live in BC, Canada. Growing zone where I am is about 4, so I need the greenhouse for a lot of things..
My outside soil is rocky and silty.. I've been working on building up a garden space with manure, top soil from a local landscaping yard, and other compost.. But most stuff I grow right now is in raised beds, old tires, or pots, cause I don't really have enough outside soil to grow in well just yet..

I haven't started trees yet.. That is on the list for this year.. But fortunately, I live on a hill with only a few other people, and everyone has farms.. So, we share.. One neighbour will have tons of tomatoes and cucumbers, another will have peaches and apricots..

That won't be a problem for me.. :p

I'm not adverse to that either.. A little compost I figure is probably not as bad as whatever the commercial growers spray on our food..
Last fall I planted a rhubarb bulb in a pile of manure we have.. We'll see how well it likes that..

Sharing the abundance is a big part of the joy of gardening. I love that yall share the wealth.

I'm located on the border between zones 7 and 8 so I can pretty much shove a dead stick into the ground and it would sprout. You can grow things that I cannot - my mouth waters at the thought of rhubarb!
It sounds wonderful to have a greenhouse, all warm and humid in the middle of a snowstorm where you are.

OK...This is lettuce.

Ok, so it might be a little bit early to say for sure.. But, things are going well. All but 2 of the 12 lettuce seeds sprouted in the ziploc.. I left them for a couple extra days.. And then cut up the paper towel into squares and sorta half buried the paper towel in some soil.. They still look like they are growing today! So.. Seems like this might've done the trick! :)

The other seeds (sage) are taking longer to germinate, so I just left them in the bag.. But it does look like 2 of the 3 are on their way to doing something..

I accidentally dropped the pepper seeds into a bucket of water while trying to cut the paper towel for the lettuce seeds.. So.. They're gone.. There was much cursing that accompanied that event..

New Threads

Top Bottom