• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gardening

I grow a garden in several raised beads. Also have grapes and blueberries as well as peach and apple trees.

Im a plant rescuer too, and strongly believe certain shops shouldnt be allowed to sell plants as they dont water them while they are stocking them. It comes under a form of neglect of wildlife, why leave something to die and have the cheek to try to make a profit on them...! Its disgusting...!
i agree have you seen the state of them outside aldi stores? theyre definitely not watering them,i rescued a half dead pansie plant recently,its still going it needs repotting,need to nick some pots off my dad.

i agree have you seen the state of them outside aldi stores? theyre definitely not watering them,i rescued a half dead pansie plant recently,its still going it needs repotting,need to nick some pots off my dad.
Yeah, aldis is one of the worst for it, they wouldnt sell food out of date, but they will sell half dead plants, honestly annoys me...! Plants are alive to.. They should at least have the decency to water them..!

I love plants, I love gardens, but other than keeping a few plants watered, I haven't gardened. I wonder if I would be organized enough to keep it all weeded and fed and well watered....in any case, I love the beauty of gardens :)

Can't conventionally compost where I am, which is frustrating. Too many trees and not enough sun to heat up the compost for a long period of time. Considering one of those hand-turned barrel composters. By November the compost freezes for five months and by spring it's barely friable. Have to buy compost, and rarely know what's in the compost. Gardening in a northern climate is difficult.

Can't conventionally compost where I am, which is frustrating. Too many trees and not enough sun to heat up the compost for a long period of time. Considering one of those hand-turned barrel composters. By November the compost freezes for five months and by spring it's barely friable. Have to buy compost, and rarely know what's in the compost. Gardening in a northern climate is difficult.
I always buy bags of farm yard compost from our local garden center, its very good... I also grind egg shells into small bits and add them to the compost,, it gives the plant calcium and helps with the drainage...!:)

Do
Do you have a riding stables nearby horse manure is very active

I always buy bags of farm yard compost from our local garden center, its very good... I also grind egg shells into small bits and add them to the compost,, it gives the plant calcium and helps with the drainage...!:)
Wish i had the strength to take the compost out of one of the little tubs as IM sure it needs to go fallow its like the effect of puppy farms forcing a dog to mate every 6 months instead of 18 months

I love gardening. I've made a plot decorated and surrounded by seashells because I live by the seashore. It has heat resistant hybrid tomato, yellow bellpepper, rosemary, pumpkin, jalapeño. In my other garden I have a lot of catnip and mint which are starting to intertwine along with "wildflowers," elephant ears, and sunflowers. I've been trying to grow opium poppies but it's too hot out and my sprouts die, so I'll have to wait until fall to grow those...terrariums are awesome too, I'm interested in making several....I'll take some pictures and post them later as well

I love gardening. I've made a plot decorated and surrounded by seashells because I live by the seashore. It has heat resistant hybrid tomato, yellow bellpepper, rosemary, pumpkin, jalapeño. In my other garden I have a lot of catnip and mint which are starting to intertwine along with "wildflowers," elephant ears, and sunflowers. I've been trying to grow opium poppies but it's too hot out and my sprouts die, so I'll have to wait until fall to grow those...terrariums are awesome too, I'm interested in making several....I'll take some pictures and post them later as well
Looking forward to seeing the garden photos....!:)

20170615_095758.jpg

Still need to go to the beach and get more shells to complete my garden, I may expand it too because that tomato and bellpepper plant will get a lot bigger. My garden with the catnip and mint is a bit messy, but oh well.20170621_142059.jpg 20170621_142113.jpg 20170621_142130 (1).jpg

I love gardening. We have tons of milkweed plants for the monarch butterflies and their caterpillars along with a lot of other plants, vegetables, and fruit trees. We used to have a small pond with a fish tank that was upside down and mostly out of the water. It was nice because it allowed the fish to swim up into the tank and be a few feet above the pond looking around. :)

Hi Gardeners! Hopefully someone can help me!
I didn't grow up on a farm, I moved from the city, so I'm learning as I go here..
I've grown onions, garlic, potatoes... Mostly root vegetables, all direct sown in the garden.
Last year, I built a greenhouse, and I got some grow lights set up inside over winter..
Now, I'm trying to start some of the more temperature sensitive plants inside (tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, spinach) so I can move them to the greenhouse/outside later..
My struggle has been with germination.. I'm generally getting <50% germination on whatever I plant. Once it germinates and gets going, I don't normally have a problem keeping it alive..
Per my mom's suggestions, I'm using a mix of about 60% peat moss and 40% vermiculite that I wet down, and put in a tray of 72 cells. The most success I've had is when I just put the seeds on top and cover them with a little extra vermiculite. It seems like if I actually bury the seeds at all in the mix, I get very low germination.
I have 7" domes over the trays, with the grow light a couple inches about the dome. I have a couple heat mats for the plants that particularly like that (didn't use heat mats for the lettuce/spinach, cause it sounded like they prefer cooler temps).
My water was a little on the alkaline side (7.5pH) being well water, so I've been mixing it with some snow melt I collected in a bucket to get around a 6 or so pH.

Anyways, any tips, or easier ways to do this? It seems to me like it shouldn't be this fussy to get a few greens going..

Sprout the seeds first.

An easy way to do that is put seeds on a paper towel,
dampen it, and put that into a plastic sandwich type bag.

It takes a higher temperature to germinate a seed than it
does to grow a plant. Don't over heat your seeds. You
don't need to put the bag in the sun. After all, seeds in the
ground aren't in the sun, right?

That's how I start seeds.
Sometimes I put the sprout directly in the ground.
Or I will have made pots for them by rolling newspaper around a can.
Like this: https://www.hgtv.com/design/make-an...ate-newspaper-pots-for-seed-starting-pictures

Sprout the seeds first.

An easy way to do that is put seeds on a paper towel,
dampen it, and put that into a plastic sandwich type bag.

It takes a higher temperature to germinate a seed than it
does to grow a plant. Don't over heat your seeds. You
don't need to put the bag in the sun. After all, seeds in the
ground aren't in the sun, right?

That's how I start seeds.
Sometimes I put the sprout directly in the ground.
Or I will have made pots for them by rolling newspaper around a can.
Like this: https://www.hgtv.com/design/make-an...ate-newspaper-pots-for-seed-starting-pictures

I tried that with 12 lettuce seeds.. The seeds all germinated fairly quickly (like in a day), and had fine little white (root?) fibres coming out.. So, I moved them into the soil, burying them just slightly, but only 2 of them came up, and only just barely it seems..

Should I have let them develop longer on the paper towel before putting them in the soil?

New Threads

Top Bottom