• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Funniest mistakes in items you bought

Misty Avich

I prefer to be referred to as ADHD
V.I.P Member
One time I bought a calendar that had two (duplicate) Februarys. Was quite funny.

What have you bought or ordered before that had a manufacturing error?

A book where the cover was upside down, compared to the pages inside of the book, kind of regret I returned it for one where it was the same way :)

Not something I bought, but my mother had an album by Harry Belafonte, and the record had two Side 1 labels - the same label on both sides.

I bought a Harry Potter knock-off Lego set off Facebook for super cheap. My son was really into both Harry Potter and Legos, so I thought it would be a perfect Christmas gift.

When it and the box said, "Nagic Wolrd" (that's the exact spelling), I knew I had made a big mistake. :laughing:

It turned out to be a pretty nice set - a full model of Hogwarts and it assembled well, but we all laughed at the box. Now, any time we see something on Facebook that looks too good to be true, one of us will say, "Nagic Wolrd". Also, that's the last thing I bought off Facebook.

That's how as a child I learned a new word- "defect". Went to the local hobby shop to buy a Matchbox vehicle and I was thrilled as I took it home. But when I opened the box, one of the four plastic wheels was completely deformed. My father used that word I had never heard before. To take it back and get another one without such a defect.

Sadly the store didn't have another one like it, so I was forced to take another Matchbox car I really didn't like that much. Whereupon I learned another phrase I had not heard before- "no refunds".

Though quite honestly I found nothing funny about the experience. :(

I bought a Harry Potter knock-off Lego set off Facebook for super cheap. My son was really into both Harry Potter and Legos, so I thought it would be a perfect Christmas gift.

When it and the box said, "Nagic Wolrd" (that's the exact spelling), I knew I had made a big mistake. :laughing:

It turned out to be a pretty nice set - a full model of Hogwarts and it assembled well, but we all laughed at the box. Now, any time we see something on Facebook that looks too good to be true, one of us will say, "Nagic Wolrd". Also, that's the last thing I bought off Facebook.

Yeah that's a general trend with knocks offs, incorrect spelling/grammar in the package.

This is most likely due to the fact that knocks offs are typically made in a foreign country so English won't be the primary language.
As for why knocks offs come from foreign countries...
Well it's super hard if not impossible to get someone in another country for copyright infringement, given different laws and what not.

Knocks offs can be funny to look at in general due to said spelling errors and shoddy manufacturing. Tho there are good knocks off out there, like what you found from the sounds of it.. minus the Nagic Wolrd thing ofc.

When I was younger and 99 cent stores were becoming a thing in the 1990s, I once bought a toy microphone for kids mainly because I was amused by the colorful cartoon pictures of a girl and her parents singing into the mike and the Engrish on the box it came in . The Engrish went something like "Ma Mam, Pa Pap, I and lady employees can do it together!"

This wasn't a manufacturing error as such but was more like a bad decision by the designers: When I was about 6 I got a little safari set with all the safari animals that were typically around the size of your thumb. But there were enormous lions and tigers that came in the set, way bigger than the giraffes and the rhinos and elephants. I know toys aren't always to scale but this really stood out. My mum said maybe the lions and tigers were bigger because they represented the "king of the jungle", and my dad said that maybe the other animals were small because they can look like they're in the distance while focusing on the lions and tigers.
I just pretended they were all babies except for the lions and tigers.

I also remember I'd got a sticker book when I was a child, where you stick the provided bits of furniture and other household items into the rooms. But the only thing it didn't have was a toilet, even though the book had a page of a lovely bathroom. So I had to stick a kitchen chair in the bathroom, disguising it as the toilet, which didn't feel the same.

This wasn't a manufacturing error as such but was more like a bad decision by the designers: When I was about 6 I got a little safari set with all the safari animals that were typically around the size of your thumb. But there were enormous lions and tigers that came in the set, way bigger than the giraffes and the rhinos and elephants. I know toys aren't always to scale but this really stood out. My mum said maybe the lions and tigers were bigger because they represented the "king of the jungle", and my dad said that maybe the other animals were small because they can look like they're in the distance while focusing on the lions and tigers.
I just pretended they were all babies except for the lions and tigers.
ok, this remind me of something, but we need to go like 30 years back in time, so one of my close friends, who was a biology student had a birthday party, some of the guys wanted to scare her with a big (plastic) spider as a birthday "present" - it was scary, then she discovered this spider had 10 legs... (hint: real spiders have 8 legs) - it suddenly got much more fun in a different way that they had expected :) I never got a degree but those university years were not without fun episodes :)

My mom did a late night order and thought she was getting a Queen Elizabeth coin. She insisted got a Queen Elizabeth fridge magnet. I was like why did you order this lol?

1706925629492.jpeg

Knock-offs can be hilarious, particularly when they're so overboard that all logic has fallen off a cliff:

Harry-Potter-Obama-Sonic-Backpack.jpg

Dont try to make sense of it.

As for product errors that I've gotten personally, recently I bought a new board game, a big expensive one in a well-known series (Zombicide). Lots of pieces in there, everything is good quality... and they forgot to put the rulebook in there.

Like, really?

I feel lucky that the only product mistake in anything I've bought (or at least something I've bought that I can remember) is I bought a Transformers figure a couple weeks ago and one of the arms wasn't attached properly at the factory so it literally just comes off if I try to do anything with it.

Really need to return that thing to Walmart and get a new one with a non-janked arm.

In one of the Agatha Crystie's Hercule Poirot episodes set on the island of Rhodes, Poirot orders "bowels in spit" to the utter disgust of his fellow diners. He deduced that it was actually lamb kidneys cooked on a skewer. I always chuckle about it as I have encountered some really funny menu translations in foreign countries.

One year at Christmas my parents got my brother and me Ghosts N' Goblins for the NES. The translation errors in the game's endings are pretty famous and hilarious:

"Congraturation! This story is happy end. Thank you. Being the wise and courageour knight that you are you are feeling strongth welling. In your body. Challenge again!"

One year at Christmas my parents got my brother and me Ghosts N' Goblins for the NES. The translation errors in the game's endings are pretty famous and hilarious:

"Congraturation! This story is happy end. Thank you. Being the wise and courageour knight that you are you are feeling strongth welling. In your body. Challenge again!"
All your base are belong to us

New Threads

Top Bottom