• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Its a nice idea, but presidential hopeful Vermin Supreme has promised everyone a pony. So I am conflicted.

VerminSupreme-620x436.jpg

I'm all for early recognition and accommodation but totally against "intervention" until we have proven strategies that help the child better understand their differences rather than brainwash them. Too many adult autistics with severe mental health problems due to "interventions" already.

For me, any time I hear the word "intervention" in conjunction with autism is a complete turn-off. Instantly to be identified with the "Autism Speaks" school of thought. One IMO to be avoided.

Leave "interventions" to those with substance abuse or other pronounced behavioral problems. Manifestations of autism have no cure, and they are all for life.

Being different does not immediately translate into being deficient.

Last edited:
I get a different idea with the term "early intervention." If a child needs speech therapy, they should get speech therapy. If they are clumsy, they may need some physical treatment. Early childhood is a time of peak neural plasticity, which should not be overlooked in training and teaching of skills. I know for people who have been through ABA, this is a very different perspective.

I get a different idea with the term "early intervention." If a child needs speech therapy, they should get speech therapy. If they are clumsy, they may need some physical treatment. Early childhood is a time of peak neural plasticity, which should not be overlooked in training and teaching of skills. I know for people who have been through ABA, this is a very different perspective.

That's all too true, and nobody in their right mind would disagree, but those are "interventions" that apply as much, if not more, to kids not on the spectrum.
Therapies specifically targeted at autism have a sordid history of causing trauma and irreparable damage to the recipient, for the sake of making the parent's and/or the teacher's lives easier. Teaching a kid to fake it is not the same as giving them the tools and understanding of their strengths & limitations to adequately function in the adult world.

New Threads

Top Bottom