• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fresh 'trauma' for sister after inquest into severely autistic woman's death reopens

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. May cause upset)

A sister who thought she had “closure” over the death of a severely autistic woman is suffering fresh “trauma” after a coroner announced a second inquest.

An inquest last May in Walthamstow Coroner’s Court concluded Robin Kitt Callender, 53, formerly of Alpha Road, Chingford, died of natural causes contributed to by neglect.

However, a new coroner wanting “fresh eyes on the whole thing” has planned a second inquest in October as new evidence is to be presented about Ms Callender’s medical care.

A sister who thought she had “closure” over the death of a severely autistic woman is suffering fresh “trauma” after a coroner announced a second inquest.

An inquest last May in Walthamstow Coroner’s Court concluded Robin Kitt Callender, 53, formerly of Alpha Road, Chingford, died of natural causes contributed to by neglect.

However, a new coroner wanting “fresh eyes on the whole thing” has planned a second inquest in October as new evidence is to be presented about Ms Callender’s medical care.

Her failing condition was not diagnosed and required tests, including blood pressure, temperature, pulse and an abdominal examination, were not collectively carried out.

Speaking after the pre-inquest in Walthamstow Coroner’s Court on Wednesday (June 8), Ms Caplan, who herself has an autoimmune disease, said: “This is massively traumatic for me.

"I don't know what new evidence there is to find.

“I am incurably ill with a progressive illness and the four years I’ve been fighting for justice for my sister has taken an enormous toll on my already failing health.”

Ms Caplan believes the hospital and GP practice “want me to shut up and go away”.

She said: “I feel dismissed, ignored and overlooked.

Her failing condition was not diagnosed and required tests, including blood pressure, temperature, pulse and an abdominal examination, were not collectively carried out.

Speaking after the pre-inquest in Walthamstow Coroner’s Court on Wednesday (June 8), Ms Caplan, who herself has an autoimmune disease, said: “This is massively traumatic for me.

"I don't know what new evidence there is to find.

“I am incurably ill with a progressive illness and the four years I’ve been fighting for justice for my sister has taken an enormous toll on my already failing health.”

Ms Caplan believes the hospital and GP practice “want me to shut up and go away”.

She said: “I feel dismissed, ignored and overlooked.

“I feel my contribution to my sister’s well-being wasn’t in their eyes of any significance whatsoever.

“Robin would never have lived to 53 if it wasn’t for her family’s interest and support.

“I’ve worked myself almost to a standstill but I will be working so hard to raise awareness until October."

The first inquest had two health experts looking into Ms Callender’s death and the new coroner is hiring 12 for the second.

Ms Caplan added: “I would suggest more than a million pounds of public money is being spent on this case.

“There are ongoing investigations by NHS England, the CQC, and the General Medical Council.

“There are so many people involved in trying to decide how my sister died.

“The fact that nobody can deny is I was never contacted during her last three months by her GP practice or the A&E doctors.”

Ms Caplan is now campaigning to make notifying a person’s next-of-kin a legal requirement and she is hoping to call it 'Robin’s law'.

The law would make it a criminal offence for a care home not to inform a family if someone in their care, who lacks capacity, falls ill and subsequently dies.

She added: “It makes common sense and it’s only humane to contact the person who can speak on their behalf who knows them the best.

“It’s a no-brainer but people can’t be bothered to make the effort anymore.”

SOURCE: http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/ne...into_severely_autistic_woman_s_death_reopens/

New Threads

Top Bottom