• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fred R Clark & Son Machineworks

20230802_094800.jpg

Modern tool locker nearing completion.
The chain around the shaper base was used to move our saw.

20230802_202734.jpg

Recip saw parked for the duration.

She is up next to get a lil luvins.

Outstanding report from the showgrounds, Nitro. What a beautiful array of machines.

Very glad to see the tiny house in action and hear that it is functioning well. Nice touch with the red star.

So Friday morning found me back at the shop to gather a few items and to check the polarity of my 1949 Farmall H's electrical system.

Cool, it has already been changed to a negative ground system so I can forge ahead with sourcing a smaller form factor alternator.
Yep, the one on it is a little too big.

Sunday and Monday were spent working on the old Farmall H.
20230828_150344.jpg

First was removing the muffler in order to remove the hood cover.

The muffler will require a little attention, but easy-peasy, lemon squeezy.

Yep, the alternator is too big, so off it came.
The replacement unit is ordered and on the way!
It will require a little fabrication work to mount the new one, but that is right up my alley.

Getting access to her belt was a little bit of a fiasco because the waterpump drive belt was in the way, but I got it.
Next up was stripping all of the wiring out of her.
Yep, twisted up and nasty in general.
New stuff is the only way to fly.

Then I removed the 1990s fog lamps off of it.
Garbage can items, soon to be replaced with nice stainless steel units with modern LED bulbs.
The switch will be a marine grade toggle switch so it can live in the rain if needed.
I ordered a three gauge instrument set to replace the old and broken stuff that was on it.
An ammeter, a temp gauge and a tube style oil pressure gauge will help me monitor her vitals.

The pesky starter switch was acting up, so you guessed it, a new one is on the way too.

The fuel tank was leaking at the sediment bowl, so off it came.
After cleaning up the metal parts, I discovered that the glass bowl was cracked, so once again, get a new one.
It's sounds like an expensive ordeal, but honestly, it isn't :p

The front grille shell has some noogies in it, so I may try to source a better one in the future.
Or maybe not.

The seat post had some issues with two of the mounting bolts, so out they came so I could re-tap the transmission cover for new ones.
Those were discovered when I went to replace the seat shock absorber bushings.
In all, she will need her PMs done, like an oil change and a total lube job with the strong possibility of a full electrical tuneup while I am at it.

Not exactly perfect, but it does bring me joy to own the 74 year old gal ;)

Can't wait to take it on it's next cruise...

It reminds me of the first tractor I drove as a kid, the mighty Massey Ferguson TEA 20. Also known as "the little grey Fergie". I think it had 28 wild horses under the hood. :) Just a very simple and sturdy little machine. Built to last.

fergie.jpg

Friday morning was a really special day at the machinework.

We took delivery of an old J E Snyder drill press to add to our display here that weighs about 3000 pounds.
Oh, and we believe she was born about 130 years ago too.

She will need a little love before we put the old gal online, but what find huh?
20230901_143510.jpg
20230901_143409.jpg

I had a busy weekend at the machineworks.

Cut a lot of grass for starters, followed by tons of busywork on the Farmall.

20230831_173309.jpg

\The steering gear assembly was trashed out by use of an improper wrench on it, so first up was to re-machine the retainer to add a pair of wrench flats.
Because it was worked on improperly, the castellated nut was replaced with one that was too long and rubbed the inside of the retainer.
That in turn was shredding the cotter pin.
Easy enough, machine a ring to move the retainer away from the nut, then retorque it to capture the bearings.

20230831_173323.jpg

The starter switch was trashed out, so a new one got installed
20230831_173400.jpg
20230831_173404.jpg
20230904_151841.jpg

Last edited:
Seat shock absorber bushing repair:
20230904_152150.jpg

Two 1980s General Motors automotive stabilizer bar bushings were modified to serve their new purpose on a 1949 machine.
Cool, huh?

She ain't exactly little as you can see by a yardstick resting against a rear wheel.
20230904_151738.jpg

20230904_151655.jpg

20230903_160001.jpg

The new alternator arrived Friday, so it was get busy time fabricating a mounting bracket.
1/4 inch steel was used with nice welds and a proper gusset.
The mounting holes are actually slotted to fine tune the belt alignment.
Of course it got a coat of rattle can black to tidy it up.
20230902_161053.jpg

20230902_161634.jpg

20230904_152005.jpg

The upper brace will require more parts to finish it off, so that will have to wait.
The Denso mini alternator chosen for it's compact size outputs 35 amperes and has a one wire self-exciting circuit to simplify it's installation.

Friday morning was a really special day at the machinework.

We took delivery of an old J E Snyder drill press to add to our display here that weighs about 3000 pounds.
Oh, and we believe she was born about 130 years ago too.

She will need a little love before we put the old gal online, but what find huh?
View attachment 114540View attachment 114541

There are so many things at that place, was the drill press a donation or did someone buy it for the collection?

The oil fill cap had the wrong bolt, so that was corrected:
Yellow
20230904_152120.jpg

The coil was properly fastened as well.

20230904_152221.jpg

One of the replacement light got installed, but the second one requires a bolt I did not have.
The oval shaped box below it houses the ammeter and the factory light switch.
The lights are LED foglamps which should provide massive illumination.

12 dollars? US dollars? For a 3000 pound drill press? :) That has to be the deal of the month.
Outright theft is probably closer to the truth, but it was an auction, so it was legit.
The bid was for $10.
The $2 was the auction fee :p

The new fuel sediment bowl:
20230904_151827.jpg

Replacement fuel line:
20230831_173344.jpg

A 1/8th pipe to 5/16 hose barb adapter is needed to complete the hookup, so one more item placed on hold.

I almost forgot to mention the replacement grille emblem I scored for her:
Screenshot 2023-09-04 201704.png

Now we're cookin' wif gas :p

If l have an attack of zombies, l will need to borrow the red tractor, because that would do a great job of keeping them in check. I do like her alot, she is lucky to find a home. Ms Farmall, zombie slayer.

New Threads

Top Bottom