• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Forming human connections

I managed to make a friend, it was their idea, and they knew I was socially awkward and not sure if it was a good idea when they suggested it. We used to chat away to each other every day, and we would find it fun to spend time together and to do things I wouldn't otherwise do. I felt so much more confident and happy with my friend by my side. They even introduced me into their social circle, and I met new people who seemed understanding, who I hoped I might be able to work out how to make friends with. They are the person who made me realise I had autism, and they were the person who supported me as I went through the diagnosis process. I was hopeful I was learning and improving socially with more practice and exposure.

It was so easy at first, but after a while, no matter how hard I worked at it, I stopped being a fun friend for the other person. I couldn't understand what had changed, I was still the same person. My friend made lots of effort to try to allow for my difficulties and tolerated things that they wouldn't need to from their other friends. We talked about where we found things challenging and tried out applying coping mechanisms to our interactions. They came to struggle with some of my traits, and a sort of disillusionment seemed to set in. I found it very hard that they didn't seem to like me as much as they used to.

It is sad that I made my friend unhappy because of being the way I am. I feel like I was a burden on them. I hoped I could learn to improve through counselling after my diagnosis. My counsellor told me my traits are not good for having friends, and that I would be less stressed not trying to have one. I find misperceptions upsetting, I am not good at interpreting what people mean, and my reciprocity is low.

I told my friend, we should not be friends anymore, and I shutdown. I feel like it is selfish to try to keep my friend, as they don't need to put up with me. It is hard as I work with them, and I see how they have friendships with other colleagues. Our office is an open plan floor and it is constantly worrying that I might be doing something seen as socially abnormal. I do not think they miss me as they have easier friends to replace me with, and so I should let them be, but I am finding it more difficult as I have never managed to make a connection like that before and I am alone, and apparently will always be so.

Based on what my counsellor said I am statistically unlikely ever to make a connection like that again. The counsellor didn't have anything for me to constructively work on, so I am not seeing them anymore. It is very frustrating and sad when my friend is willing to be my friend, and we both tried really hard, but I am not able to fix myself to be a fit friend. My friend is a good person, and I think I am too, I wish there was a way to make it work.

i'm not they are not legally obliged to say exactly what doesn't hurt you.
this from a neurotypical -they cant be us! so all they can do is damage limitation- autism is the great unknown what you need is an autism group neurotypicals are neurologically different - it takes unconditional love to be a friend not many humans are willing to love a friend unconditionally.
I'm surprised a counselor would say something like that. I'd say see another counselor.

I managed to make a friend, it was their idea, and they knew I was socially awkward and not sure if it was a good idea when they suggested it. We used to chat away to each other every day, and we would find it fun to spend time together and to do things I wouldn't otherwise do. I felt so much more confident and happy with my friend by my side. They even introduced me into their social circle, and I met new people who seemed understanding, who I hoped I might be able to work out how to make friends with. They are the person who made me realise I had autism, and they were the person who supported me as I went through the diagnosis process. I was hopeful I was learning and improving socially with more practice and exposure.

It was so easy at first, but after a while, no matter how hard I worked at it, I stopped being a fun friend for the other person. I couldn't understand what had changed, I was still the same person. My friend made lots of effort to try to allow for my difficulties and tolerated things that they wouldn't need to from their other friends. We talked about where we found things challenging and tried out applying coping mechanisms to our interactions. They came to struggle with some of my traits, and a sort of disillusionment seemed to set in. I found it very hard that they didn't seem to like me as much as they used to.

It is sad that I made my friend unhappy because of being the way I am. I feel like I was a burden on them. I hoped I could learn to improve through counselling after my diagnosis. My counsellor told me my traits are not good for having friends, and that I would be less stressed not trying to have one. I find misperceptions upsetting, I am not good at interpreting what people mean, and my reciprocity is low.

I told my friend, we should not be friends anymore, and I shutdown. I feel like it is selfish to try to keep my friend, as they don't need to put up with me. It is hard as I work with them, and I see how they have friendships with other colleagues. Our office is an open plan floor and it is constantly worrying that I might be doing something seen as socially abnormal. I do not think they miss me as they have easier friends to replace me with, and so I should let them be, but I am finding it more difficult as I have never managed to make a connection like that before and I am alone, and apparently will always be so.

Based on what my counsellor said I am statistically unlikely ever to make a connection like that again. The counsellor didn't have anything for me to constructively work on, so I am not seeing them anymore. It is very frustrating and sad when my friend is willing to be my friend, and we both tried really hard, but I am not able to fix myself to be a fit friend. My friend is a good person, and I think I am too, I wish there was a way to make it work.

Hi Maple Lucky 13. Welcome to AF!!!

I think there is something very wrong with your counselor, assuming that you were accurate in what they said. If we passively wait for a new friend to fall in our laps, then our chances of having a friend or friends, does go down. We can take our future into our own hands. We can figure out where the kind of people that we like will also be, and make sure we go there and do our best to be friendly.

We can work on things to improve our social skills. This will not turn us into a social butterfly overnight, and we will have to work harder than NTs do to have a social life.

It will probably help you to study videos that show examples of the seven universal microexpressions and other Body Language. If you have trouble finding this stuff, you can look at my blog on this site for links. My blog is called, "Musings". You will have to look through the titles I posted for the subjects you need since I post everything in one blog on different subjects.

Last edited:
Your counsellor sounds like a total dolt. Seriously? Get rid of your friends? Isolate yourself? Because that's really good for your mental health. I have one friend, and really, I find people who are willing to put up with me really rare, then again, I have to put up with her also. Friendship with autism is not impossible, and this counsellor shouldn't have made you think that it isn't.

Definitely a different counselor. From someone who's had 3 so far, I can tell you that the person makes a huge difference sometimes.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you :(

Your councelor is an awful person and it's very good you don't see them anymore. Don't get discouraged! I've made two wonderful friends that I care deeply about and I married one of them. :) We may not make as many friends as our neurotypical counterparts, but with the few friends we do make, we share deeper bonds with and our friendships are lifelong.

I wouldn't personally consider that kind of person your friend And in my perspective from what you describe, it seems like they helped you through everything partly for selfish reasons. It appears like they initially created a friendship and only once the fact that you had a condition was aparent did they feel guilty about ending the friendship, perhaps out of fear of what the others might say/feel.

With my experience, my friend has been extremely supportive before, during and after my discovery of my Asperger's.

Anyway, that's just my two-cents.

New Threads

Top Bottom