• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food & Aspergers

Alexandria Holmes

Good Morning! If you are a parent of a kiddo on the spectrum, you know the challenges of introducing new foods. What are your methods of introducing new food to your aspie? or if youre on the spectrum what is your preference in the way you try new foods? I would be interested to hear from an adults point of view who is on the spectrum. my stepson is 10 and doesn't really say how he feels when we even ask him about new foods but it clearly gives him great anxiety. thanks in advance for any insight :)

I'm an adult. But I too have new food anxiety issues as well. The best way to handle it is to just give a bite or nibble size piece to try. That way, he can get a taste and feel for it to see if he likes it, or more importantly, can get acclimated to it. Just remember that this is not just a matter of taste. But a matter of textile as well. They're maybe some foods out there your stepson may never wanna touch no matter what.

On food I am all about texture, rather than taste. How the food feels, what texture it has, if it changes at a certain temperature etc. Maybe you can see if he is sensitive to any of these things introduce gradually towards similar textures. If there are certain textures he doesn't like maybe you should stay away. Maybe ask him why he doesn't like something and figure out what the trigger is.

or if youre on the spectrum what is your preference in the way you try new foods?
When I was a kid, I didn't like to feel under pressure to try new foods. I just wanted to try things on my own, a little at a time - I don't like people watching me or peering over my shoulder when I was eating. I suggest that you put the new foods out somewhere, let him know that they are there, not make a fuss or big deal about them, go about your business and let the child come and try of his own accord.

I agree that texture is often more important than taste. That's the one thing my parents didn't get when I was growing up. If he doesn't like something like, for example, tomatoes or mushrooms, try presenting the mushrooms in different forms to disguise the texture, for example, in a sauce, in a bake or pie or soup, they might be ok about trying them like that. Or, if vegetables is the problem, try putting some in a smoothie to disguise the colour and texture.

I like food seperated on the plate generally. Beans in the beans sector, meat in its own zone. Don't like juices crossing over and possibly tainting neighbors so strain things well.

I don't like to make things 'high stress' like pushing new things on them. Its a win if you can get them to accept having different things on the plate. Up to them to try in their own time. So keep at it introducing new things (small portions). Don't like surprises much so being told what something tastes like in advance helps. Texture is as, if not more, important as taste as Lichi meantioned.

I'm usually willing to try new foods, but if there's a similarity to a texture that I can't deal with, I won't try it. For instance, I've never been willing to try raw oysters because the texture is like foods that I can't stand: slippery and slimy. But taste and smell are also very important to me. I can't stand anything bitter or foods or liquids that leave a strange aftertaste. Coffee comes to mind for both.

I'd suggest that you approach his eating as a shared experiment. Keep a record of the foods he has tried and hates/dislikes. Try to determine whether the problem is texture, taste, or smell, or a combination. His willingness to try new foods should be part of the experiment. Eventually, there should be a pattern showing up that will clue you in to foods that he might reject before even trying them. Smell and texture can be just as important as taste.

I don't inherently have an issue with new foods, but I do have a "list" of preferred ingredients that I know I will like, & anything off that list I look at with a little skepticism. I also have a lot of texture issues, so I'll usually have an idea whether I'll like it or not just based on the perceived or visual texture of the food. My solution is to get someone else to order a dish I might want to try, & take a bite of theirs before I dive in. My kids are NT & have a much broader interest in food than I do...

... For instance, I've never been willing to try raw oysters because the texture is like foods that I can't stand: slippery and slimy.

Absolutely. No overly fishy things and bug like crustaceans. Can of Tuna... OK. :D

Hiding food under cheese sauce always worked for me. Except for okra, yuk, nothing can get me to eat that:eek:.

Absolutely. No overly fishy things and bug like crustaceans. Can of Tuna... OK. :D

My daughter when we went on vacation got a soft shell crab sandwich. Literally looked like a fried crab, whole & legs. Not appetizing at all...

Hiding food under cheese sauce always worked for me. Except for okra, yuk, nothing can get me to eat that:eek:.

The texture or look doesn't get me. It just tastes like eating weeds from along the roadside to me.

The texture or look doesn't get me. It just tastes like eating weeds from along the roadside to me.
I never noticed the taste because I found it otherwise so repulsive. It taste like weeds? Not missing much, am I?

Definitely texture is most important with me.
People laugh because I'll sometimes say it doesn't feel good in my mouth. :confused:
Overlapping juices from side items is next.
When I was a kid I would only eat from a picnic plate that had seperate compartments so the foods wouldn't intermingle.
I finally let go of the plate, but, still don't like mixing of foods.
Theres a third that may not be as common, but, is still a big one for me: Colour.
Many places put little cut up pieces of red peppers or chopped tomatoe in the mix.
I'll fork them out to the side. Just don't like little red coloured things in the food.

And yes, don't make an issue out of anything he won't eat. There were a lot of things I wouldn't eat as a kid, but eventually accepted.
But, I never got over someone talking about my eating habits to me. Like cleaning the plate, why didn't you eat that piece there, etc. You get the idea.

One new thing at a time and don’t try and make them finish it once they’ve tried it. I like a lot of aspies have issues with food to do with texture and smell particularly.

Definitely texture is most important with me.
People laugh because I'll sometimes say it doesn't feel good in my mouth. :confused:
Overlapping juices from side items is next.
When I was a kid I would only eat from a picnic plate that had seperate compartments so the foods wouldn't intermingle.
I finally let go of the plate, but, still don't like mixing of foods.
Theres a third that may not be as common, but, is still a big one for me: Colour.
Many places put little cut up pieces of red peppers or chopped tomatoe in the mix.
I'll fork them out to the side. Just don't like little red coloured things in the food.

And yes, don't make an issue out of anything he won't eat. There were a lot of things I wouldn't eat as a kid, but eventually accepted.
But, I never got over someone talking about my eating habits to me. Like cleaning the plate, why didn't you eat that piece there, etc. You get the idea.

We used to make a big deal of new foods. but we have agreed to focus on one food he previously ate with no issue, chicken nuggets. Bowen tends to favor foods with a crunch. his favorites are French fries, queso from certain places, cheese pizza with no sauce from two places, peanut butter, and apples. our concern is his health. we are terribly afraid that with this continued pattern of eating it will lead to obesity and be at risk for other health issues associated with obesity. we just want him to live a long and healthy life.

We used to make a big deal of new foods. but we have agreed to focus on one food he previously ate with no issue, chicken nuggets. Bowen tends to favor foods with a crunch. his favorites are French fries, queso from certain places, cheese pizza with no sauce from two places, peanut butter, and apples. our concern is his health. we are terribly afraid that with this continued pattern of eating it will lead to obesity and be at risk for other health issues associated with obesity. we just want him to live a long and healthy life.
I think it's great you're taking the responsability of your child's health serious already. Unfortunately many people don't take the time and effort to make small changes that will benefit their children (and them) long term.

You mentioned chicken nuggets and french fries. Try making them in the oven instead of frying them. You will reduce a lot of the fat there. Also try to do the french fries yourself instead of buying them at the store. Just peel and chop up in bulk and freeze them. Chicken nuggets can sometimes be replaces by fish nuggets. You can also make your own nuggets with various vegetables that you can have at hand. Peanut butter and apples are good foods. You could introduce pears and perhaps nectarines. Other nut butters are also an alternative, like almond butter or cashew butter. Try introducing crunchier vegetables that aren't thoroughly boiled.

Why do parents feed their kids “nuggets and fries” if they know they are unhealthy? I used to these toddlers at McDonalds (back when I would go to fast food restaurants), and parents would be giving them soda, ice cream fries and nuggets. This sets up for a life long craving for unhealthy comfort foods.

Times are different now. Back in the 1950s, one was required to eat every single last little pea on one’s plate- or else. Nothing was left on the plate. Did not matter if you hated whatever was on the plate, you better eat it and quit fussing. I learned extremely early to eat and shut up. The consequences not to do so, were very unpleasant.

I think this sort of atitttude about food was very common back then. It worked out well for me, as I am now an adventurous foodie, and have digested some truly strange things in my life. The worst that can happen is that I don’t like it.

I have always had very negative views of people who waste food and leave it on their plate. I see this in restaurants all the time. Or those that complain and as adults are so fearful of trying new foods. Thanks to this thread, I am understanding a bit more. Thank you.

Why do parents feed their kids “nuggets and fries” if they know they are unhealthy? I used to these toddlers at McDonalds (back when I would go to fast food restaurants), and parents would be giving them soda, ice cream fries and nuggets. This sets up for a life long craving for unhealthy comfort foods.

Times are different now. Back in the 1950s, one was required to eat every single last little pea on one’s plate- or else. Nothing was left on the plate. Did not matter if you hated whatever was on the plate, you better eat it and quit fussing. I learned extremely early to eat and shut up. The consequences not to do so, were very unpleasant.

I think this sort of atitttude about food was very common back then. It worked out well for me, as I am now an adventurous foodie, and have digested some truly strange things in my life. The worst that can happen is that I don’t like it.

I have always had very negative views of people who waste food and leave it on their plate. I see this in restaurants all the time. Or those that complain and as adults are so fearful of trying new foods. Thanks to this thread, I am understanding a bit more. Thank you.

I agree with you that creating unhealthy eating habits at an early age does set the tone. I should have added that I am Bowen's Stepmom. his father and I get him every other weekend his mom has him for the most part. we don't necessarily see eye to eye when it comes to food or pushing him to get out of his comfort zone.. we feel that she does tend to coddle him in many areas he should be pushed. but I can only do what I feel is best when we have him. the reason why I joined this forum was to gain more knowledge from adults and young adults like bowen so I can better help him. I just want to be able to understand better so I don't set him back more instead of pushing him forward in a positive direction.

I agree with you that creating unhealthy eating habits at an early age does set the tone. I should have added that I am Bowen's Stepmom. his father and I get him every other weekend his mom has him for the most part. we don't necessarily see eye to eye when it comes to food or pushing him to get out of his comfort zone.. we feel that she does tend to coddle him in many areas he should be pushed. but I can only do what I feel is best when we have him. the reason why I joined this forum was to gain more knowledge from adults and young adults like bowen so I can better help him. I just want to be able to understand better so I don't set him back more instead of pushing him forward in a positive direction.

I have watched every single YouTube and TED talk with Temple Grandin. Her mom really pushed her, and in no way “coddled” her. You might enjoy checking out the ton of talks she has given. She believes that autistic children should start early with engaging with things that will get them employed. She also said that currently many parents disable their kids even further by not pushing and challenging them.

I have watched every single YouTube and TED talk with Temple Grandin. Her mom really pushed her, and in no way “coddled” her. You might enjoy checking out the ton of talks she has given. She believes that autistic children should start early with engaging with things that will get them employed. She also said that currently many parents disable their kids even further by not pushing and challenging them.

I got him set up with ABA Services and we are supposed to start therapy soon. I am hoping the therapist will express the importance of pushing rather than enabling Bowen to his biological mother so he can thrive and live on his own. at his point he is really dependent on his mom. We have told her how we feel about challenging him, but at the end of the conversation we are told to do more research on autism. so here I am. I'm thankful I made the choice to reach out here. I have gained some good knowledge I feel will definitely help me in my role as a parent to bowen to make sure he transitions well in all areas of life.

New Threads

Top Bottom