• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fired?

Fino- Good luck. I would think damage control at this point. If you are getting walking papers- inquire about references, working in a different branch, unemployment. Think carefully if you need to retain attorney. Do not volunteer any info at meeting. Sometimes employers have nothing on you and will work at trying to get you to say something incriminating about youself. This was done to my ex, a medical professional.

A solicitor is helpful in getting a severance package, or a unbiased letter of reference. In my spouse's case, they wrote a letter demanding certain things as an exit package.

This has literally, without a doubt, been the most dramatic day of my life. The meeting went relatively well, they decided I wasn't fired, and the day continued.

But then I turned in a report we were required to write where we had to write a letter giving advice and encouragement to future hires. My supervisor said my report was passive-aggressive and sarcastic. That was not my intent, but that kind of misunderstanding has been a problem all my life. What I wrote in the report were warnings to the future hires about the things I made mistakes in and got in trouble for. I explained how to avoid what I failed to avoid. My supervisor said this "put me over the edge" and she would now have me fired.

The complaint I filed to her superiors came through and I was interviewed by her supervisor, explaining everything.

They are going to meet tomorrow to decide if I'm fired or not. I'm currently suspended so I have the day off tomorrow. Today was a half-day.

It's a possibility that the decision will delayed to Monday, but they said they're really shooting for it to be tomorrow.

I've grown close with the students I've worked with and they've told me I help them. It frustrates me that she's hurting the students in all of this. I told her this, but she insists she's actually helping the students and I'm the one who damages them.

It's all quite surreal, really.

No, I decided not to disclose that I'm autistic because I was immediately assigned an autistic student and her attitude toward his autism was one of condescension and pity.

I'm handling it mostly okay, because I have a lot of medication I can take, but unfortunately, I ran out of xanax, which made everything perfectly fine, so now it's somewhere more towards the middle. I'm talking to my doctor about being prescribed something to help but I suppose it's too late in the day now because he's stopped responding. I think tomorrow he will prescribe me something. I don't know if he can prescribe more Xanax, but something. Gabapentin isn't quite strong enough for this.

Thank you for caring!

This is tough to hear. Perhaps you put to much detail into that letter. Maybe less is more. Take a deep breath. You can mention that your communication style didn't quite fit with your supervisor if you apply elsewhere.
At this point, ask for a reference, even in writing. Ask for your vacation time in pay to help you. Tell her supervisor that she was not the best at communicating what she needed, leaving you to try to decipher her requests. This door may close but another door may open up for you. Is your resume in order? Do you have phone numbers of other co-workers who will vouch for you?

This is tough. Glad you felt okay to come and talk about it. Just tell yourself you will get past this.

Wow Fino, that all sounds really messed up.

Frankly, it sounds to me like your supervisor is, without a doubt, out to get you and will keep going until she finds a way to get rid of you.

You should consider quitting, if they don't fire you. Frankly, I'm afraid that continuing to associate with them will hurt your future career.

Just a thought- grab your organization's description of your position. If you can, check your company handbook and see if you are suppose to be given a written warning before you can be terminated. If they didn't follow this then an attorney could write a letter saying this wasn't followed and could demand some severance pay. Have you checked your company handbook? If not, try to get one before you walk out the door. Stay positive, my ex was fired and he was an MD and he was rehired elsewhere.

My resume is in order, but unfortunately it's not particularly impressive, because I'm coming from a music background and going into counseling. And also unfortunately, there was little to no interaction with co-workers. We were all in our own little bubbles, so no references from them.

I actually did tell them some of what you said, such as her poor communication skills.

I believe the "handbook" is an online document.

My request is to work with a different supervisor, in which case I would rarely ever see my old supervisor. I have a feeling, though, that they will side with her and it will be over. She'll rant on and on in her dramatic fashion about everything I did wrong, and they'll have to believe her. She has home advantage. I started looking into other opportunities.

I'm sorry, but what is a solicitor?
A solicitor is like an attorney but doesn't represent in court, you need to contact legal aid in your state of they don't know disability law find an attorney who knows US disability law

My resume is in order, but unfortunately it's not particularly impressive, because I'm coming from a music background and going into counseling. And also unfortunately, there was little to no interaction with co-workers. We were all in our own little bubbles, so no references from them.

I actually did tell them some of what you said, such as her poor communication skills.

I believe the "handbook" is an online document.

My request is to work with a different supervisor, in which case I would rarely ever see my old supervisor. I have a feeling, though, that they will side with her and it will be over. She'll rant on and on in her dramatic fashion about everything I did wrong, and they'll have to believe her. She has home advantage. I started looking into other opportunities.

I think your resume is important. It shows you powered up to a career using your past interaction. If you have at least 6 months experience - thats a foot in the counseling door. Run with it. Maybe this place doesn't have enough work for you. My ex was let go of for this very reason. He was more like a temp hire. Anytime you move up in the career ladder is a win win for you. Just go out apply. If needed, try to grab a certificate or online trainning in this new field. You are a success story.☺ l was married 18 years. l got divorce. l still consider myself a success at marriage. You worked as counselor for some time. You are success. See yourself in that light. People get fired all the time, we learn and we move on. l left my current job because the new manager sucked eggs.

I got fired! And for some reason my supervisor's supervisor's supervisor wants to meet with me on Wednesday.

I got fired! And for some reason my supervisor's supervisor's supervisor wants to meet with me on Wednesday.

Sorry to hear that. If it's an accredited training they would normally have to account to the accreditor for students they terminate from the training, and getting your feedback would be good practice.

If they are an employer (and this is an internal training they provide) it would be good practice to do an exit interview with an employee who is leaving for any reason.

This could be the time to discuss autism with them, and how it is relevant, plus your experience of the kind of stigma that's around it, that has stopped you letting them know it's an issue previously? And perhaps ask for them to work with you to meet their requirements and benefit your students.

New Threads

Top Bottom