• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fine motor

Tatilove

Is having trouble using scissors and tracing basic shapes like circles and squares a typical challenge for preschoolers with suspected ASD?

That’s my son’s case. He can do other tasks that require fine motor skills like making a bead necklace, picking up tiny pieces of rice off table, etc…

I think tracing shapes and cutting them accurately is a challenge for any preschooler.

Is having trouble using scissors and tracing basic shapes like circles and squares a typical challenge for preschoolers with suspected ASD?

That’s my son’s case. He can do other tasks that require fine motor skills like making a bead necklace, picking up tiny pieces of rice off table, etc…
Interesting. At my premature birth, it was speculated that I'd have troubles with fine-motor tasks--even prior to my NVLD diagnosis, it was complained that I 'held my pencil the wrong way' and my writing 'is horrible'. It really is, and so if my sheet-music handwriting...but more lately than not I've noticed issues with playing the keyboard, which is troublesome.

I agree with tree. The tasks you describe sound like very typical challenges for that age group. Most of the children that I worked with started to develop competency with these skills closer to the end of kindergarten or into first grade.

Thank you all, I feel reassured. I just know he will face different challenges in kindergarten (speech), so I’m trying to get him ready as much as I can. Only 2 months left

New Threads

Top Bottom