• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finally comfortable with my autism.

Illkurok

King of Isolation
I never truly imagined that I would reach a point in my life where I would truly be content with my diagnosis. I remember as a kid being so ashamed of it, I looked at it as a negative label and because of that it dragged me down well into adulthood.

I recently had a conversation with my wife about how much of a blessing autism has been in my life and looking it from that aspect is quite encouraging versus thinking about how it destroys my chances of being a normal human being.

It's just something that makes me who I am and it's not going to go away, although I still don't think I'm going to just tell new people I meet right out that "hey, I'm autistic" because that's just not normal and not to mention it's unnecessary unless they ask.

Most people though that have ever found out that I am autistic have never thought that I was just with how I carry myself and interact with others. I've still never understood though why some people take it as a shock when they find out, it can't really be something that life changing, especially if it doesn't affect them.

Anyway, before I ramble any further, it was good to come back here after my break for awhile. I realize to some it might sound silly to get excited about sharing something with absolute strangers on a forum, but it truly made me happy to think I could share my thoughts on this.

Party over there, hands up in the air, finally have no cares, autistic, ballistic, bombastic, FANTASTIC. lol

Wellcome back my friend .And im happy you finaly accepted youre diagnose now you can adapt according to youre capubilities.

There is no shame in being autistic but there is much to be shamed in attitudes towards it.
I'm happy that you've turned this most important of corners.

Glad you can be comfortable with yourself. As far as people being shocked when they find out, it's because they're not educated on autism and expecting something else.

I never truly imagined that I would reach a point in my life where I would truly be content with my diagnosis. I remember as a kid being so ashamed of it, I looked at it as a negative label and because of that it dragged me down well into adulthood.

I recently had a conversation with my wife about how much of a blessing autism has been in my life and looking it from that aspect is quite encouraging versus thinking about how it destroys my chances of being a normal human being.

It's just something that makes me who I am and it's not going to go away, although I still don't think I'm going to just tell new people I meet right out that "hey, I'm autistic" because that's just not normal and not to mention it's unnecessary unless they ask.

Most people though that have ever found out that I am autistic have never thought that I was just with how I carry myself and interact with others. I've still never understood though why some people take it as a shock when they find out, it can't really be something that life changing, especially if it doesn't affect them.

Anyway, before I ramble any further, it was good to come back here after my break for awhile. I realize to some it might sound silly to get excited about sharing something with absolute strangers on a forum, but it truly made me happy to think I could share my thoughts on this.

Good for you! It is very important to like who you are. It is the key to happiness and will have a positive effect on your future.

It's good when we finally accept who we are, instead of fighting/arguing/wishing it were somehow different.
It makes us less hard on ourselves and paves the way to understanding. Contentment and acceptance is a better life.

That's so awesome that you have reached this point. So many on the spectrum never do. It took me 45 years to reach that point and now at age 50 I love who God made me to be.

Every person on this forum has so many positive attributes. If they can just realize what those are and not focus on what they are not I think people would be so much happier. So many times we try to compare ourselves to the rest of the world and feel like we have to be just like everybody else, especially in the day of Facebook where everybody posts their storybook lives.

To all the aspies out there,,,,EMBRACE WHO YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!

I love this post! It's terribly easy to slip into thinking of yourself as less than or defective, when the rest of the world seems so ready to make you feel that way - getting to a point where you can just like being you, warts and all, is real achievement and one I think everyone (not just us Aspies) aspires to.

New Threads

Top Bottom