• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling like I live in a different reality

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I sometimes feel like I live in a different reality from other people most of the time.

I am a fan of anime/manga, comics, science fiction novels, video games, and music like KMFDM and Melvins but people I generally encounter in my day to day living don’t care for the things I am interested in. They tend to prefer sports, only listen to mainstream music (Don’t get me wrong, I like a lot of mainstream music as well but I also like to seek out music that isn’t as well known or had generational popularity), either don’t read or only read books by popular authors like James Patterson, and either don’t care for video games, only play GTA or Call of Duty, or are nostalgic gamers who only want to play Goldeneye 64.

I occasionally see people who break the mold such as people wearing anime t-shirts or ones for a band like the two I mentioned above but this generally happens when I am working at the job I have (public library) or passing by out in public. I wonder where they come from and if they hang out anywhere, especially since the hang outs in my area are not very “geek” or “nerd” friendly.

Sounds like you're just not going to the right places, but I couldn't tell you which places to go to, I don't know anything about that stuff. I'm surrounded by people with those interests though.

There a lot of anime fans out there. Plenty of anime fans online. I do a lot of anime blogging, among other things.

In a larger city you could probably find a science fiction and fantasy group or an anime group. Somebody watches it or the streaming services wouldn't be fighting over control of the more popular shows. Meetup.com could be a way to search for them.

I feel like an alien a lot. Comes with the Aspie territory. Need to find some people with the same interests.

I can relate to the alien/different planet feeling, I have no interest in pop culture things that other people are into, such as movies, pop music, TV series, internet or social media personalities, etc. A lot of humour and memes are based round pop culture, and I just don't get them. For any interest though, it's just about always possible to find online communities, no matter how niche that thing may be. Though I wouldn't say that those things you mentioned were particularly niche/obscure.

That's pretty typical from posts I've read and I feel the same.
Like I may as well be from another planet.
The mainstream interests most have and have grown up with I just don't care for.

Things in nature attrack me and catch my attention. Most people don't even notice
and take the attitude of so what when I pick up a leaf or find a baby snail, frog, lizards, etc.
I would make a good trail guide for the few who are interested in having plants and forest creatures
pointed out and tell about them.

The type of reading material I find interest in bores most also.
Science mags, quantum physics and medical journals.
Unless it is a special interest, they wouldn't know what they were reading.

I like old fashioned games. Board games, puzzles, cards.
It's hard to find anyone who has these interests.

But, I do like some mainstream pop cultural movies and music.
It's been this way through life, so I understand the feeling.

I also feel the same, and not just because of my interests. I also love anime and manga, fantastic literature, 70s and 80s music, astrology, occult and philosophy and never met someone else with the same interests.
I also have no interest in marriage and children.
I feel little to no connection with people around me.

Just put into words what I’ve felt my whole life.
How do you talk to people if the only thing you want to talk about they have no interest in..?
But I agree with what others have said and there’s so many communities for the things you love!! Especially within big cities

I also feel the same, and not just because of my interests. I also love anime and manga, fantastic literature, 70s and 80s music, astrology, occult and philosophy and never met someone else with the same interests.
I also have no interest in marriage and children.
I feel little to no connection with people around me.

Sounds familiar.

I know how you feel. My friends would shut me up whenever I wanted to talk about stuff like "Gravity Falls", a show that was really taking up space in the animation world.

but if you really Like Anime and all that nerdy kinda stuff, how about you scoot on over to the "Interests" section of the forums and ask about stuff like comics. hey. I've got a huge dig for anime and all that stuff. I love the band "Skillet" it's my favorite. that's pretty obscure! I like Video games, too. seriously you can talk about that stuff all the time on the internet. chin up. hell, you don't have to like Sonic the Hedgehog and Minecraft!

New Threads

Top Bottom