• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feedback from parents/Aspies please...

Sass

Ok, I've had an idea (so bear in mind, it's in its infancy and needs some work!).

As is probably slightly obvious from a lot of my posts, I write and edit for a living, and I feel that those skills have helped me a lot over the years, especially not knowing I was an Aspie until recently. I could express myself and get my rage/obsessions/joys out of me in a constructive way, without the judgement of the wider world weighing down on me. The amazing thing about writing is that you can turn it into anything you like, especially if you go back and edit it afterwards as the mood takes you (and the mood does tend to take me, more often than not lol). Fact can become fiction, and often, fiction becomes a very valid and wonderful exploration of the facts of our souls.

So my thought was that guiding ASD kids/young adults/adults to express themselves this way, and showing that it's ok to change what you've written as your experience changes, might go a wee way towards helping us spectrumites feel that things aren't always set in stone and can be changed in a good way. I guess it's the idea that change can be good, and not scary and awful all the time (which I think is a fear largely brought about by the rigidity of social norms and past bad experiences), but taught through writing and editing. What do you guys think? Would this be something you might be interested in doing? Or your kids?

It could be an online thing, no attendance in a group of strangers required!

I believe this is a wonderful idea. It has helped me to get my feelings out, and then look at them in a different light before I present them to the world. I can now choose a more suitable and appropriate reaction to whatever I may want to respond to. Looking back, it also helps to see what my reaction looks like to others. Sometimes when I read what I have written I think, "What Was I Thinking?"

I'd definitely be up for this! I almost never have rough drafts for this exact reason---I prefer to change my extant work because my editing skills enable me to write fairly high-quality first drafts in the first place.

New Threads

Top Bottom