• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite Song Lyrics

Squished Crab

I squished it myself
V.I.P Member
I always have music playing in my head. Day and night, it has even woke me up in the middle of a deep sleep. I have no complaints about it, and try to appreciate it and I never know what song might decide to play. My internal radio station is on "shuffle".

Yesterday, I was out for a run. I have never been one who listens to music as I run, mostly because I don't need it, the music is in my head. It was particularly windy, and so these lyrics started rolling through my mind as I ran, "Surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends, I found myself further and further from my home." (If you are old enough to remember the song, you know why that one may have popped into my head on a very windy day.)

These lyrics were appropriate for my windy run AND my life in general. I began contemplating why that particular portion of the song were the only words that kept replaying. This has me so interested if anyone else experiences this? Have you been enlightened by lyrics to a song? Which song/lyrics?

Thanks for sharing!

"Surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends, I found myself further and further from my home."
Against the Wind
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
From the 1980 release of their album of the same name.

Yep, I get this a lot. Most days I'll wake up with some random song playing in my head. Sometimes it's a song I was listening to the day before. Other times, it's a song I heard years ago or something from TV (this is usually annoying).

I don't really think about it and it doesn't bother me unless it's a song that I don't like. Then I have to work to get that tune out of my head by usually replacing it with another song that I do like until the likeable song starts to play on a loop. If that makes any sense.

It's strange if there's not some song playing in my head. But I also listen to a lot of music through headphones on a daily basis so when I'm not listening to music then there's still a song playing in my head.

Sometimes it's fitting for my day, situation I'm in, or the point I'm at in life. But that's usually rare. Most of the time it's just random. Like I get to have an iPod shuffle in my head.

I woke up the other day with that Weezer song, Island In The Sun, playing in my head. I was like ok, I can roll with this. :D

Think I must have begun memorizing song lyrics when I was child, don't remember the music itself, usually it's a few words from a refrain and the melody. Today it was when I saw someone outside with his plow, and the lyrics: macho, macho, man, I'm gonna be a macho, man, came to mind.

I fit the songs in my memory into a day, later it was 'Too late, to turn back now', as I was about to take a shower. Song lyrics reverberate in my mind, because some word, situation, thing, reminds me of them. It isn't all the time, but at certain moments in my day. As I was doing the dishes, it was 'adestes fideles' and later a song from my childhood that I used to sing to my dog when she was a puppy:

Last edited:
'You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"

Hotel California- The Eagles

That has been stuck in my head for weeks. I particularly like the version that starts with the trumpet

Last edited:
"Surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends, I found myself further and further from my home."
Against the Wind
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
From the 1980 release of their album of the same name.
Since CLG brought up The Eagles,it is only fair to credit Glenn Frey,a founding member of that group for singing backup harmony for this song.

About half of the Against the Wind album was credited to The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section along with other solo studio contributions on several songs.

Last edited:
About half of the Against the Wind album was credited to The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section along with other solo studio contributions on several songs.

Not surprised that it was Muscle Shoals, but I didn't know that. The music that was created and recorded there had such a distinct sound and feel, that I've always liked.

Speaking of Muscle Shoals, this song seems to be there in my memory, much of the time:

Many of Bruce Springsteen's songs carry heavily in my mind.
This one earworms me very regularly

Guy Clark's song "The Dark" has some beautiful, fascinating lyrics. It's a meditation on perspective — something that I think is quite appropriate for an Aspie forum. The line "one way or another we're all in the dark" can speak to the vastly differing perspectives between Aspies and NTs.

In the dark you can sometimes hear your own heartbeat
Or the heart of the one next to you
And the house settles down after holding itself up all day
Shoulders slump, gives a big sigh
You hear no ones footfall in the hall
That drip in the kitchen sink keeps marking time
June bug on the window screen can't get in but keeps on trying
One way or another we're all in the dark
Fireflies and sparks and lightning, stars
Campfires, the moon headlights on cars
The Northern lights, the milky way
You can't see that stuff in the day
The Earth turns it's back on the sun
And the stars come out and the planets start to run around
They call that 'day is done
But really it's just getting started
Some folks take comfort in that
How dark is it? It's too dark for goblins
How dark is it? It's so dark you can smell the moon
How dark is it? It's so dark the wind gets lost
How dark is it? So dark the sky's on fire
How dark is it? So dark you can see Fort Worth from here

"Raise your horns, raise them up to the sky. We will drink to glory tonight.

Raise your horns for brave fallen friends. We will meet in Valhalla again."

*cough* Amon Amarth rules. *cough*

Aimee Mann, both with Til Tuesday and solo. One of my favorite singers/songwriters/bass players.

One of my favorites is Long Gone Buddy.

But happiness
I must confess
I don't have

Pretty much sums up most of the Til Tuesday catalog.

And on Believed You Were Lucky, she says
Life could be ******* great.

She carries the note out so long that it took me years to pick up on what she was really saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
One pill makes you larger,
One pill makes you small,
And the one that mother gives you,
Doesn't do anything at all.

White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane, 1964

Desperado
Why don't you come to your senses
Come down from your fences
Open the door
It maybe raining
But there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you
Before it's too late.

The Eagles were my favourite years ago and that one always seemed poignantly relevant. I also like the Indigo girls some great lyrics from them, my favourite was I think called Mystery? It was about 2 very different people in a relationship, I remember a line There's a thousand thing you would die for, I can hardly think of two... nice song and their voices harmonised well. I often feel like a song says something I can't fully express, with feelings, but then I m sometimes disappointed when others don't seem to hear it or listen even...

Got to pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues
and you know it don't come easy
You don't have to shout or leap about, you can even play them easy

It don't come easy, a solo track from the mid 70's by Ringo Starr, the drummer from the Beatles.

New Threads

Top Bottom