• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite Sensory Overload Helps

If I need to, I can kind of shut down and get lost in my own inner world and thoughts. It turns the outside world into a dull murmur that I can ignore. Sometimes when I'm out with my family, like to the mall, and things get too much and I get tired, I go into shutdown mode (usually unconsciously) and end up just following them around mindlessly, like a zombie, until the trip is over. XD Of course, then if someone touches me, bumps into me, or tries to talk to me, I snap back into the real world and get really annoyed, then go back into my zombie mode after a minute or so.

Usually I recover by isolating myself for 12 to 24 hours and doing stuff I want to do.

Most of the time I know on time when it's getting out of hand, and I'll get out of said situation in time. Avoiding it, is a different deal already, since I don't even leave my room that much (if I left my room for an hour today, it's a lot)... but that's how I avoid sensory issues. Rollerblinds closed, so no light, headphones on and a locked door.

In a way I can see how my avoidant behaviour won't help a lot in the long run, especially when talking employment and all, but for now my therapist told me that it's the best way for me to deal with it, without having to come in every other day because of "issues".

Long runs on my own definitely help, especially if I'm in great pain (seems counterintuitive, but it's true) and it's nice and chilly outside. Music helps on these runs too so that I have time to organize my thoughts. No one can bother you on a run, and I don't take my phone.

Music helps as well, especially my viola. The only problem is when people interrupt me. Ditto with listening to music.

I love hiding out in libraries and just reading about anything I want. I could spend weeks, nay, months in a library and never want anything else except maybe tea and food.

A foot massage, a nap, a glass of wine to make my brain up-shut (rare), and some Silmarillion, and I'm a bit better. Going to go for some Fernando Ortega music later- it's like a happy drug for me. I wish I could play piano- I started when I was 15, but circumstances made me stop. I was really getting into it. I so wish I could take a bath! That used to help. But where we live, it's not possible. I read something on another site about Theta waves and SMR (low beta) waves being helpful to calm people with autism. You can get them from Amazon. I hope to try them soon.

I've used all the above strategies too minus running, which I substitute with walking.

Another I use (a form of escape strategy) is to disappear into the bath tub. I fill it with hot water, sea salt & a few drops of essential oils. I light a few ambiance candles, bring cold water, white tea or now & then wine & just luxuriate with a good book on my e reader.

Another sensory overload mitigater is to control the factors that you can. If you have to go somewhere stressful, wear very comfortable Aspie friendly clothing (cut out all tags! avoid itchy fabrics!). Wear easy to walk in shoes. Before leaving, eat something you digest easily (who needs bloating & gas!). Wear a hairdo you don't have to worry about or fuss over. Pack your bag or purse ahead of time so you won't forget essentials.

Soup, I miss being able to tolerate baths. I used to love them but in the last few years it's one thing or another- not fitting right in the tub, tub not being clean enough, if I'm afraid there's a bug nearby or could be soon, temperature stuff. I miss having access to a hot tub- nice and consistent!

Listening to music, yoga, a walk or jog, a massage from my husband. Mostly I nap when I have been overstimulated, for some reason my body gets instantly tired and I just can not go on unless I take a short nap or at least lay down in the quiet for 20 minutes or so

I've made the major mistake of pushing through to get stuff done when I was totally wiped out or falling apart, because I felt guilty for not getting things done. Big mistake! It takes forever to recover when I do that, and everyone around me is miserable. Much better to rest when I need to.

I'm learning to do that now. My husband's helping me learn to say no to things when I'm already overburdened, I couldn't do it without someone telling me it was alright not to do something. That's kind of sad.

New Threads

Top Bottom