• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite Seasonings for Meat Pies

All-Rounder

❃⚜uwu awoo uwu⚜❃
V.I.P Member
I'm about to cook some meat pie, to be specific my first, and mom is gonna help. But since I've never cooked any, I would like to hear some versions of how to season the meat, that you liked. In my area people don't traditionally or usually cook meat pie. We are using pork, has anyone cooked it with pork?

I also don't know about meat pies. But pork does take better than other meats to sweetness. Herbal sweetness for this, I'd think, not sugary, such as basil or a touch of tarragon, or ground cardamom. I think dill would also go nicely. But I don't know exactly what you're going to do with it, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Oh, yeah. I'd also add salt :)

I've seen sage in a simple recipe, I tend to like simpler recipes, feels like flavors are more defined and less mixed.

We've made them. We added parsley and a bit of potato, spring onion white part, garlic and thyme. It worked so good. I added mozzarella on top and tomato ketchup with carrots and peppers, and it was amazing. It was much better than I thought. Just like the italian meat rolls I had from the store. Oh, and a bit of pepper, which is actually papaya seeds, I prefer them to pepper.

The dough was nice too, so fluffy, it always helps to add milk instead of water and butter.

Last edited:
IMG_20230618_214921.jpg
IMG_20230618_214723.jpg
IMG_20230618_214706.jpg

I like to cover them with something that doesn't absorb water, it keeps them moist while they're steaming and afterwards.

In Australia we love to just buy small or big pies and heat it up, we have a fairly good variety c: Typically we don't make it ourselves, but it must be pretty amazing to make it from the ground up. Good on you and good luck ^0^

I played a video game where you murder people, grind up their bodies, then serve the bodies as the main ingredient in your pies. Not a suggestion.

I'm about to cook some meat pie, to be specific my first, and mom is gonna help. But since I've never cooked any, I would like to hear some versions of how to season the meat, that you liked. In my area people don't traditionally or usually cook meat pie. We are using pork, has anyone cooked it with pork?
If it tastes as good as it looks, you cooked a winner. :hearteyes:

You do realise this is my fast day, right? :p

In Australia we love to just buy small or big pies and heat it up, we have a fairly good variety c: Typically we don't make it ourselves, but it must be pretty amazing to make it from the ground up. Good on you and good luck ^0^
"Football, meat pies, kangaroos, and Holden cars." :cool:

Looks more like an enchilada than meat pie. But also tasty.
It's actually not very mexican.
There's an italian product that I had recently which was the best TV dinner I have ever had. I wanted to have some homemade similarity but I never thought it would come out just as good.

Yum! You have successfully made your own Hot Pockets.
Cantelloni.

There's a Nigerian recipe with more vegetables. Probably not as good as the simpler only meat one. Then again I haven't had it yet. I learned if something is really good it probably is hard to top it.

The dough was probably the more time eating but it had that homemade taste. Totally worth it.

I had to choose between manufactured dough and homemade.

Last edited:
I played a video game where you murder people, grind up their bodies, then serve the bodies as the main ingredient in your pies. Not a suggestion.
The world needs some new ingredients from time to time. Today bugs, tomorrow my neighbor.

How are you, ducky friend?

If it tastes as good as it looks, you cooked a winner. :hearteyes:

You do realise this is my fast day, right? :p
My bad, sweet boy.

Hang in there, you will get your work-worthy sandwiches soon.
And until then a lot of kisses to keep you from starving. :kissingheart:

I couldn't resist, another Aussie here and pies are my favourite food. Here if you ask for a pie with no other adjective what you'll get is ground beef. It's a very common fast food here, especially for people working in industrial situations. You can eat a pie one handed while still working. One quick snack gives 1000 calories and a hefty dose of protein.

With herbs and spices it's best to keep it simple, some mixed herbs and black pepper is usually enough. Cook the meat in it's own gravy first, this lets you have more control over how thick or runny the contents of your pie will be. You don't want it too dry but you don't want boiling gravy dripping on you when you try to eat either.

I haven't done it for a while now but I like making pies. I make my own stiff shortcrust pastry for the bottom of the pie and use bought puff pastry for the top. Shortcrust pastry is easy:

2 cups of flour
2 oz of butter (preferably real butter from a moo cow)
2/3 cup of water.

Rub the butter and flour together first. Literally get you fingers in there and rub them together, keep going until there's no more lumps, doesn't take long. Then add the water, I use a kitchen fork to mix until it starts getting too thick then I get my hands in there again. You want the consistency of plasticine or play dough, so if it's too dry add a little more water or if it's too wet add a little more flour.

Once you're happy with the consistency dust a little flour on the kitchen bench top and plop you dough on there. Knead the dough by picking up the edges of it and pushing them in to the middle repeatedly. What you're doing here is stretching the flour particles out in to long strands to give your pastry a chewier texture, and at the same time you're trapping lots of little air bubbles inside the dough so that it rises and becomes lighter and fluffier. When the texture of the outside of the dough starts to look pebbly or lumpy and you notice that it's air bubbles near the surface then you're done.

I use a wine bottle as a rolling pin. In tropical climates a lot of people keep a wine bottle full of water in the freezer for this purpose, keeping your pastry cold until it's time to cook it gives better results. Just roll your pastry out a little bit at first, then dust the top with a little flour, flip it over and dust that side too, then roll it out some more. Keep repeating until it's stretched out enough to cover your pie dish with plenty of room to spare, it will shrink a little again when you pick it up to put it in the dish.

Shortcrust pastry in the bottom of the dish, tip the meat and gravy mix in to it. Put a sheet of bought puff pastry over the top and use a butter knife to trim all the excess pastry from the sides of the dish. Use a kitchen fork to press a pattern in to the edges of the pastry, this is to make the two pastries weld together as one piece. Poke a few holes in the top to let steam out then put it in a hot oven for 35 to 45 minutes, when the pastry on top looks good it's done.

----

When I was growing up all the commercially available pies were made with proper French puff pastry and they were really nice, these days they're not easy to find. I'm lucky enough to live in a city that has one such bakery:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom