• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

favorite recipe

I love all food and cooking so I could write a cookbook of favorites. But here's a quick, easy and inexpensive way to cook Sticky Apricot Chicken Drumsticks:

Ingredients:
8-12 chicken drumsticks
1/2 cup apricot jam
1/2 cup French dressing
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix together the jam, dressing, vinegar and garlic to make a marinade. Reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade.
Pat the drumsticks dry with paper towels and lightly salt and pepper them. Put them in a large resealable bag like Ziploc. Pour the marinade over them, gently squish them around so all are coated with the marinade, close the bag and put it in a large bowl in refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the drumsticks on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven, flip the drumsticks over. Spoon reserved marinade over each drumstick and sprinkle with the brown sugar.

Turn the oven up to 425 degrees. Put the drumsticks back in the oven for another 30 minutes or till done to your taste.

Enjoy!

I love all food and cooking so I could write a cookbook of favorites. But here's a quick, easy and inexpensive way to cook Sticky Apricot Chicken Drumsticks:

Ingredients:
8-12 chicken drumsticks
1/2 cup apricot jam
1/2 cup French dressing
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix together the jam, dressing, vinegar and garlic to make a marinade. Reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade.
Pat the drumsticks dry with paper towels and lightly salt and pepper them. Put them in a large resealable bag like Ziploc. Pour the marinade over them, gently squish them around so all are coated with the marinade, close the bag and put it in a large bowl in refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the drumsticks on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven, flip the drumsticks over. Spoon reserved marinade over each drumstick and sprinkle with the brown sugar.

Turn the oven up to 425 degrees. Put the drumsticks back in the oven for another 30 minutes or till done to your taste.

Enjoy!

I like the sound of that :) I love simple recipes that give a lot back.

Avocados are DISGUSTING why do you eat that let them rot in peace ( one of the few things I just cant eat xD well I can but this is not aa pleasant experience.)

Well the US is like an entiere continent in term of size, so you can have many traditions, I mean in France we share common recipe with other countries that are at our border for instance Sauerkraut (from Alsace /Germany)

But I am sure that many recipes from the Europe are also known in the US since its a multicultural country, it mostly depends on your family I guess.

And when you look at the history of a recipe most of the time this isnt something fully from one culture, it's an adaptation from another country and this is very interesting^^ Or sometimes other country has the same recipe (well same but different), but this is just a coincidence^^

Another french recipe common in the south near Marseille " La Bouillabaisse" , a fish stew basically. I love fish stew ( in small dose actually)

Or something from south west "cassoullet" , most of the time its ham with bean in a pot but actually a more traditionnal recipe from the south west(Toulouse) use duck leg confits with it.

Well known and cliché recipes from France are ofc Frog leg and "French escargot"(snails :D I eat that every year during Christmas)you coock them with a specific butter with specific herbs etc , this is complicated to translate.

Both come from an eastern region of our country "la Bourgogne "

I had the opportunity to eat all of that and it's all good, I am not a huge fan of duck leg thought.

Pasta are the best ! Lasagna, carbonara, or simple spagetthi with some butter that's amazing.

I didnt know Spaghetti-Os. thought , it looks WEIRD XD, like cereals but its actually pasta in a red bowl of ...tomatoe sauce I guess ( not blood lol)

It looks like a pree coocked thing that you love as a kid and never stop eating I have a few of this aswell xD
I advise you to try some fresh pasta you might love it^^

The real one thing I did myself was a apple pie and I had a meltdown when I was doing the pastry. I don't count heating stuff from a can or heating some meat as coocking xD

And I burned many pans by forgetting my pasta xD

Damn I forgot to mention pizza, this is Italian but this is common for any western people I guess and THIS IS GOOD xD

I don't eat avocados! But I guess you meant people in general. And that's exactly what Spaghetti o's is! And I don't like pasta at all. I don't like too much flavor. Pizza is fine! As long as it's just cheese!:D

I love avocados but you must add salt to them to develop their flavor, like a baked potato is bland without salt, and a squeeze of fresh lime. They taste like pecans to me -nutty, yummy, richness. They are a healthy source of many vitamins and can be substituted for butter on many things like toast.

I love avocados but you must add salt to them to develop their flavor, like a baked potato is bland without salt, and a squeeze of fresh lime. They taste like pecans to me -nutty, yummy, richness. They are a healthy source of many vitamins and can be substituted for butter on many things like toast.

I know this is healthy.my parents tried to make me eat it even with other stuff like mayonnaise or shrimp...nothing made it its was making me feel sick with a weird crippling feeling of disgust.

Now i remember that I used to spit food as a kid teenager huuum.

Anyway

I don’t really know what to answer about the most common food in my area, but I’ll share a recipe.

One of my favorite recipes, which isn’t common in my area but is an old favorite, is Mujadaara/Megadara/Mejadra. This is how I make it.

1-2 onions
Olive oil
1 C brown rice
1 C lentils
Salt

Slice onions and sauté in olive oil until they are caramelized (takes ~20min, maybe look up how to do it so you don’t burn the onions). Add 1/2 tsp salt and mix.

remove half of the onions and set them aside. Add brown rice and sauté for a couple minutes (just like you would making rice pilaf). Then add 4.5 C water, 1C lentils, 1 tsp salt. Stir, cover, and cook for ~45 minutes (until rice and lentils are cooked)

When it’s done, stir in the caramelized onions you set aside and add salt to taste.

I know this is healthy.my parents tried to make me eat it even with other stuff like mayonnaise or shrimp...nothing made it its was making me feel sick with a weird crippling feeling of disgust.

Now i remember that I used to spit food as a kid teenager huuum.

Anyway

We all have foods that we don't like so I understand. I have never liked sweet potatoes since I was a kid. I didn't like shrimp either when I was growing up but love it now.

I don’t really know what to answer about the most common food in my area, but I’ll share a recipe.

One of my favorite recipes, which isn’t common in my area but is an old favorite, is Mujadaara/Megadara/Mejadra. This is how I make it.

1-2 onions
Olive oil
1 C brown rice
1 C lentils
Salt

Slice onions and sauté in olive oil until they are caramelized (takes ~20min, maybe look up how to do it so you don’t burn the onions). Add 1/2 tsp salt and mix.

remove half of the onions and set them aside. Add brown rice and sauté for a couple minutes (just like you would making rice pilaf). Then add 4.5 C water, 1C lentils, 1 tsp salt. Stir, cover, and cook for ~45 minutes (until rice and lentils are cooked)

When it’s done, stir in the caramelized onions you set aside and add salt to taste.

This sounds delicious. Can I use chicken or beef stock instead of plain water to make it? Or maybe half stock and half water?

Mary Terry - I’m so glad it sounds good to you. To answer your question - chicken stock would work, but I would recommend trying it straight first. Every time I add something to it, like garlic (and I LOVE garlic) it tastes worse to me. The flavor of the caramelized onion is really lovely and I don’t like to add anything that covers it up.

It also works really well as leftovers and heats up easily in the microwave.

Mary Terry - I’m so glad it sounds good to you. To answer your question - chicken stock would work, but I would recommend trying it straight first. Every time I add something to it, like garlic (and I LOVE garlic) it tastes worse to me. The flavor of the caramelized onion is really lovely and I don’t like to add anything that covers it up.

It also works really well as leftovers and heats up easily in the microwave.

Only just read that recipe of yours and I like the sound of it. I'm cooking a rich beef curry over the weekend and I think I'll try that instead of plain rice :)
Is there a particular variety of lentils you recommend? I have red lentils in the store cupboard.

Red lentils are split lentils - basically lentils split in half and with the skins off. Great for soup, but they would be a weird mush in this dish. Just normal lentils with skins - any kind of whole lentil. Green lentils, brown lentils, French lentils, caviar lentils... or whatever comes in the bag that says lentils at your grocery store. Any kind of whole lentil will work.

If you want something that is more exciting than plain white rice, there are lots of recipes for aromatic rice with whole spices like cardamom and cloves cooked with the rice. You could also just make a rice pilaf (sauté an onion in butter or ghee, add rice and sauté for a minute, add the broth/water and cook) to go under your curry.

I think the lentils and rice might not work under a curry, it’s meant to be a standalone dish. That said you may love it that way!

Red lentils are split lentils - basically lentils split in half and with the skins off. Great for soup, but they would be a weird mush in this dish. Just normal lentils with skins - any kind of whole lentil. Green lentils, brown lentils, French lentils, caviar lentils... or whatever comes in the bag that says lentils at your grocery store. Any kind of whole lentil will work.

If you want something that is more exciting than plain white rice, there are lots of recipes for aromatic rice with whole spices like cardamom and cloves cooked with the rice. You could also just make a rice pilaf (sauté an onion in butter or ghee, add rice and sauté for a minute, add the broth/water and cook) to go under your curry.

I think the lentils and rice might not work under a curry, it’s meant to be a standalone dish. That said you may love it that way!

I'm a Brit, an Aspie, and I love to cook (when I'm fit to do so - another story) so I've tried pretty much every variation of plain rice, aromatic rice and pilaf you can think of (not to mention a love of risotto too) ;) My wife and I both adore a bit of dhal so the idea of your recipe sounds very appealing :) Using whole lentils makes a lot more sense in this case though. We're not curry fiends - neither of us can take hot spices the way we used to - but we like bold flavours. My personal beef curry recipe is rather rich so I think this sounds like a worthy adjunct to it. I was going to just do plain rice but I fancied something with a bit more texture and flavour. I was thinking of doing an aloo gobi as a side dish, but I think your idea might do the job on it's own.
I've got to pop out tomorrow for a separate reason so I'll stop by the local supermarket and pick up some whole lentils.
On a similar note I've found great success with using various beans with mashed (not creamed) potato. Lobbing a drained tin of butter beans, broad beans or chick peas (garbanzo beans) into your boiled spuds for a minute before straining the lot and mashing them makes for a delicious change. Using the mix to make tattie scones (potato pancakes) is something else :) Great for bubble & squeak, colcannon and corned beef hash too.

Last edited:
Ah, got it! I’m interested to hear how it works with your beef curry. People who are not me do variations with broth, cumin, garlic, etc. Claudia Roden is good and her recipe is online. She uses white rice which I think is standard. The only big difference with brown vs white is when you add the rice and how much water.

Your potato variations sound yummy. I think I could get away with garbanzo beans in mashed potatoes.

Ps - you can always play with proportions - 1:1 lentils to rice is arbitrary.

Last edited:
As a southerner, I'm often teased about eating grits so I looked up the origin of the food and the word. Native Americans ground corn, which is indigenous to the Americas, into a flour and cooked it as a kind of mush or gruel. Caucasians learned how to make the corn flour mush from the Indians and called it "grits" which is a word that comes from Old English. American grits are made with white corn. Italian "polenta" is made with yellow corn. Grits and polenta are basically the same thing.

When I cook grits, I use half water and half milk to cook it. It makes it creamier than using plain water.

New Threads

Top Bottom