• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

favorite recipe

Pats

V.I.P Member
Post the most common food to where you live and then post your favorite recipe.

Outside of hamburgers, one of the most common meals in the south would be white sausage gravy and biscuits.
My favorite recipe is 'hot brown chicken sandwich casserole' (long name I know)
melt 1 stick of butter
whisk in 2/3 cup cornstarch and add 1 cup of milk.
cook until thickened
add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
In casserole dish, layer diced cooked chicken
cubed pieces of toast then cover with above misture,
crumble pre-cooked bacon over top, along with parmesian cheese.
bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until hot, bubbly and browning on top.

Is there anything common in big multiculttural cities?

Something french that I eat a lot in my family is a stew that we call "pot au feu", one particularity of it maybe that we put some bone marrow in it ( I google translate it I dont know how to say some technical stuff in english)

Now a favorite recipe? This is realy hard to say because unlike most autistic I am not such a picky eater, I think my mother trained me to eat many things even what I disliked(tomato) so I like anything now except few strong aversion.

The more you are hungy the more you enjoy what you eat basically^^
(And also I eat to regulate my emotions so I eat a lot most of the time....)

A recipe from my childhood is the onion pie but with béchamel sauce, It's been years that I didnt eat that but I still remember it strongly, just thinking about it make me hungry^^

But a good old "Jambon beurre" , a baguette sandwich with some ham butter and salad is also delicious.

I have so many recipes in my head right now you made me so hungry :D
But im trying to loose weight :(

Is there anything common in big multiculttural cities?

Something french that I eat a lot in my family is a stew that we call "pot au feu", one particularity of it maybe that we put some bone marrow in it ( I google translate it I dont know how to say some technical stuff in english)

Now a favorite recipe? This is realy hard to say because unlike most autistic I am not such a picky eater, I think my mother trained me to eat many things even what I disliked(tomato) so I like anything now except few strong aversion.

The more you are hungy the more you enjoy what you eat basically^^
(And also I eat to regulate my emotions so I eat a lot most of the time....)

A recipe from my childhood is the onion pie but with béchamel sauce, It's been years that I didnt eat that but I still remember it strongly, just thinking about it make me hungry^^

But a good old "Jambon beurre" , a baguette sandwich with some ham butter and salad is also delicious.

I have so many recipes in my head right now you made me so hungry :D
But im trying to loose weight :(
Loved reading all this. Have never heard of any of it. I thought it'd be interesting to know how people in other places eat (even east coast and west coast and north and south have very different menus) and since I now have so many friends from so many different places, it might be fun. thanks for responding with such a great response and such a variety. :)

Other popular dishes in the south would be pinto beans and cornbread, of course fried chicken, country ham and meatloaf.

Not too sure, I guess Chinese and Vietnamese, along w/ Native things like Bannock, but idk what you're looking for in particular, be it baking or cooking recipes, but my favourite Baking wise is my Caramel Buns

You make them very similarly to Cinnamon Buns, but you use Condensed Milk (sweetened variety) in the center of the dough when its all rolled out and roll it up then cut, and in the pan you use a layer of brown sugar and then corn syrup on top of that, and stick the buns in and stick it in the oven at 250°C/482°F for about 25 mins, they're really good, especially when they're still warm

Not too sure, I guess Chinese and Vietnamese, along w/ Native things like Bannock, but idk what you're looking for in particular, be it baking or cooking recipes, but my favourite Baking wise is my Caramel Buns

You make them very similarly to Cinnamon Buns, but you use Condensed Milk (sweetened variety) in the center of the dough when its all rolled out and roll it up then cut, and in the pan you use a layer of brown sugar and then corn syrup on top of that, and stick the buns in and stick it in the oven at 250°C/482°F for about 25 mins, they're really good, especially when they're still warm
sounds delicious - you pour the milk over the dough after it's rolled out?

We have many traditional dishes in the province I live in. Many of the desserts are typically flavoured with maple syrup, although desserts are for special occasions like holidays or birthdays or anniversaries. And it's unusual for people to have desserts at other times.

Some of the dishes are traditional such as tortiere made differently in each region of the province, it's essentially a meat pie with a bottom and top rough pastry crust made with lard, pork is the usual meat used. With spices like clove and onions and sometimes potatoes mixed in and baked. Some areas use a mix of game meats, and others a mixture of pork, beef and lamb and others use salmon and on other occasions chicken.

Small white great northern beans are another fixture in the area, cooked with pork fat, others use beef tongue with the beans along with brown sugar and onions. Fresh butter beans are also a favourite called gourgane here. And baked beans of any kind are eaten for breakfast with eggs and fried rissolées or sliced potatoes. Pea soup made from yellow peas and leeks is another traditional soup in winter.

Also easy to find here is creton, a pate made from pork and bread and onion and spices. Originally used as a way to preserve meat for the winter. Creton is often served on toast at breakfast, or as a hors d'oeuvre on holidays.

A lot of these traditional recipes require a long time to make and most are a great deal of manual labour. Entire half or whole days spent making this kind of food. Probably why they are mainly made on holidays. This is a traditional acadian recipe for maple (chomeur) pudding, and in some provinces called Indian pudding, usually made in the spring when the sap is running:

CHOMEUR PUDDING

375 ml (1½ cup) water
250 ml (1 cup) maple syrup
375 ml (1½ cup) brown sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp) flour
Heat in a pot until it comes to a boil.

113 g (1/2 cup) butter
201 g (1 cup) white sugar
2 eggs
192 g (1½ cup) flour
10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
Pinch of salt
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
188 ml (3/4 cup) milk

Cream butter with sugar; add eggs one at a time. Add flour, baking powder and salt; then milk and vanilla. In large, deep baking or casserole dish, place hot maple liquid and spread cake batter on top. Place in pre-heated 190 C (375 F) oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.

Note: Extremely sweet, with the consistency of a baked pudding/cake with sauce. Some people use extra corn flour in this, others yogurt instead of milk. Some use blueberries or apples in the pudding. Others use a bain marie and seal the top of the pudding with cloth or foil to bake it.

Last edited:
This is a topic I could go on about forever! I love cooking and I'm interested to see where this thread goes. In particular I've become quite interested in American food in the last couple of years. The flavours favoured in US recipes seem quite distinctive given their cosmopolitan roots :)
Below is a video I did a few months ago whilst I was finding my feet in video making and was thinking of doing a food channel as a sideline. It's my favourite breakfast sandwich by far.
The music is quite loud in the video btw for anyone who's sensitive to that ;)

@Mia - I may have to try this at one of my family gatherings.
@Autistamatic - another great video series. I'm enjoying this, too and hoping it'll go on for a while. It's amazing, something as simple as an egg sandwich could vary so greatly. Also , another fun video series. :)
I hope everyone posts as many times and as much as they want. I may have to start trying some of these things when I cook for family. And make my daughter in law jealous because she loves trying new recipes. lol

We have many traditional dishes in the province I live in. Many of the desserts are typically flavoured with maple syrup, although desserts are for special occasions like holidays or birthdays or anniversaries. And it's unusual for people to have desserts at other times.

Some of the dishes are traditional such as tortiere made differently in each region of the province, it's essentially a meat pie with a bottom and top rough pastry crust made with lard, pork is the usual meat used. With spices like clove and onions and sometimes potatoes mixed in and baked. Some areas use a mix of game meats, and others a mixture of pork, beef and lamb and others use salmon and on other occasions chicken.

Small white great northern beans are another fixture in the area, cooked with pork fat, others use beef tongue with the beans along with brown sugar and onions. Fresh lima beans are also a favourite called gourgane here. And baked beans of any kind are eaten for breakfast with eggs and fried rissolées or sliced potatoes. Pea soup made from yellow peas and leeks is another traditional soup in winter.

Also easy to find here is creton, a pate made from pork and bread and onion and spices. Originally used as a way to preserve meat for the winter. Creton is often served on toast at breakfast, or as a hors d'oeuvre on holidays.

A lot of these traditional recipes require a long time to make and most are a great deal of manual labour. Entire half or whole days spent making this kind of food. Probably why they are mainly made on holidays. This is a traditional acadian recipe for maple (chomeur) pudding, and in some provinces called Indian pudding, usually made in the spring when the syrup is running:

CHOMEUR PUDDING

375 ml (1½ cup) water
250 ml (1 cup) maple syrup
375 ml (1½ cup) brown sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp) flour
Heat in a pot until it comes to a boil.

113 g (1/2 cup) butter
201 g (1 cup) white sugar
2 eggs
192 g (1½ cup) flour
10 ml (2 tsp) baking powder
Pinch of salt
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
188 ml (3/4 cup) milk

Cream butter with sugar; add eggs one at a time. Add flour, baking powder and salt; then milk and vanilla. In large, deep baking or casserole dish, place hot maple liquid and spread cake batter on top. Place in pre-heated 190 C (375 F) oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.

Note: Extremely sweet, with the consistency of a baked pudding with sauce. Some people use extra corn flour in this, others yogurt instead of milk. Some use blueberries or apples in the pudding. Others use a bain marie and seal the top of the pudding with cloth or foil to bake it.
oh - and thanks for giving both measurements. lol

Yikes! Heart disease is the number one killer and it is obvious why. In my area, boiled ham and peas pudding are popular, roast dinners with Yorkshire puddings, fish and chips (fries) shepherds pie, are traditional.

A meal for me is, chick-pea pasta, shiitake mushrooms sliced and chopped black kale with black aged garlic, all 'fried' in vegetable stock, topped with chopped walnuts. Whole food plant based, no oil sugar or salt eating plan.

I live near Los Angeles. Is that a famous enough place for people to just tell me the answer to this? :D I'm not sure, but it seems like people here are obsessed with Ramen and Boba. It's mentioned so often that I can't stand to hear the words. Just typing "boba" twice now is annoying, although now I think it's funny how dramatic I'm being. :) But also it disgusts me. I was about to curse, but I remember my other post that had the curse word removed. I still feel bad about that. :oops:

....BOBA

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My favorite recipe is...

Spaghetti-Os. :p

But seriously, I've tried cooking three times. Once caused a fire, once I got food poisoning, and once it was so over-cooked that I had to throw it out. :confused:

Say bye-bye to cooking! :eek:

I love these cute little faces! :cool:

I live near Los Angeles. Is that a famous enough place for people to just tell me the answer to this? :D I'm not sure, but it seems like people here are obsessed with Ramen and Boba. It's mentioned so often that I can't stand to hear the words. Just typing "boba" twice now is annoying, although now I think it's funny how dramatic I'm being. :) But also it disgusts me. I was about to curse, but I remember my other post that had the curse word removed. I still feel bad about that. :oops:

******* BOBA

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My favorite recipe is...

But seriously, I've tried cooking three times. Once caused a fire, once I got food poisoning, and once it was so over-cooked that I had to throw it out. :confused:

I love these cute little faces! :cool:
:confused:o_O:cool: You mean ramen noodles and what is Boba? I thought people in California ate all artsy foods. :oops:

:confused:o_O:cool: You mean ramen noodles and what is Boba? I thought people in California ate all artsy foods. :oops:

Yeah, Ramen Noodles, sorry I just constantly hear people say "ramen?" in response to "where should we eat?" And every single person knows "where the best ramen is" and IT'S ALL THE SAME. Same with Pho. That's popular too.

Boba is coffee or tea with little chewy balls at the bottom, which is what "Boba" is, the balls are called that, then people just call the drink that. It's even common to order Boba without Boba! I was so loud when I learned that! They're just ordering tea. It's tea. The balls have no flavor. I don't feel coherent. I uploaded a picture, but it's my first time doing it, so we'll see how it goes. :)

Anyway, what sorts of foods are considered artsy?

People are weirdly obsessed with avocados and there's constantly a shortage. But a shortage implies a quota, doesn't it? If there's ALWAYS a shortage, then it's not a shortage, it's just a quota that's less than what these avocado-loving, bobaless-boba-drinking, I-know-the-best-ramen liberals want.

:D

Attachments

• boba-hero.png
    boba-hero.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Yeah, Ramen Noodles, sorry I just constantly hear people say "ramen?" in response to "where should we eat?" And every single person knows "where the best ramen is" and IT'S ALL THE SAME. Same with Pho. That's popular too.

Boba is coffee or tea with little chewy balls at the bottom, which is what "Boba" is, the balls are called that, then people just call the drink that. It's even common to order Boba without Boba! I was so loud when I learned that! They're just ordering tea. It's tea. The balls have no flavor. I don't feel coherent. I uploaded a picture, but it's my first time doing it, so we'll see how it goes. :)

Anyway, what sorts of foods are considered artsy?

People are weirdly obsessed with avocados and there's constantly a shortage. But a shortage implies a quota, doesn't it? If there's ALWAYS a shortage, then it's not a shortage, it's just a quota that's less than what these avocado-loving, bobaless-boba-drinking, I-know-the-best-ramen liberals want.

:D
funny with the tea thing. I'm sure I would be joining in with you with the "It's tea!"
When I say Artsy I mean vegan dishes and hummus stuff that other restaurants in the east are copying and all the vegans and tree huggers are loving it. I'm not making fun - I'm just a meat and potatoes person. And sandwiches. I might refuse to try something but if you put it on a sandwich I might. lol (I said earlier that I might try some of these recipes - maybe I'll put some tiny marbles in their drinks, too. :D

funny with the tea thing. I'm sure I would be joining in with you with the "It's tea!"
When I say Artsy I mean vegan dishes and hummus stuff that other restaurants in the east are copying and all the vegans and tree huggers are loving it. I'm not making fun - I'm just a meat and potatoes person. And sandwiches. I might refuse to try something but if you put it on a sandwich I might. lol (I said earlier that I might try some of these recipes - maybe I'll put some tiny marbles in their drinks, too. :D

Ohh well there are plenty of vegan restaurants, and I was vegan for a year LOL now it's funny because you're saying this.

"Avocado toast" came to mind when you said "hummus stuff." It's toast, egg, and avocado, and they put it on display like it's a golden egg and charge like eight bucks for it!

It's not bad though LOL

Some vegan food really is good! There are "vegan towns" where a small section of a city is all vegan-friendly shops and restaurants. I'm not close friends with any vegans, but a lot of people I know are interested in veganism and often opt for that when given the choice. And a lot of products, like hand-soap or something, say "vegan" on them and it seems like everyone buys those. But there are also plenty of people who say things just like you and are disgusted by vegan food, if it's a vegan-version of something that isn't, like a vegan hamburger. The only healthy way to be vegan is to eat things that are actually vegan, not that imitation food.

As I was typing that last sentence, I starting thinking, "Oh my god, I'm ending this with advice on veganism, she was right about everything LOL"

This is hilarious, I've never left California and I've never looked at it from another perspective before like this! At first when I saw this thread I was like "Oh great, another thread about food," but now I like it! :D

People are weirdly obsessed with avocados
Avocados are DISGUSTING why do you eat that let them rot in peace ( one of the few things I just cant eat xD well I can but this is not aa pleasant experience.)

even east coast and west coast and north and south have very different menus

Well the US is like an entiere continent in term of size, so you can have many traditions, I mean in France we share common recipe with other countries that are at our border for instance Sauerkraut (from Alsace /Germany)

But I am sure that many recipes from the Europe are also known in the US since its a multicultural country, it mostly depends on your family I guess.

And when you look at the history of a recipe most of the time this isnt something fully from one culture, it's an adaptation from another country and this is very interesting^^ Or sometimes other country has the same recipe (well same but different), but this is just a coincidence^^

Another french recipe common in the south near Marseille " La Bouillabaisse" , a fish stew basically. I love fish stew ( in small dose actually)

Or something from south west "cassoullet" , most of the time its ham with bean in a pot but actually a more traditionnal recipe from the south west(Toulouse) use duck leg confits with it.

Well known and cliché recipes from France are ofc Frog leg and "French escargot"(snails :D I eat that every year during Christmas)you coock them with a specific butter with specific herbs etc , this is complicated to translate.

Both come from an eastern region of our country "la Bourgogne "

I had the opportunity to eat all of that and it's all good, I am not a huge fan of duck leg thought.

Pasta are the best ! Lasagna, carbonara, or simple spagetthi with some butter that's amazing.

I didnt know Spaghetti-Os. thought , it looks WEIRD XD, like cereals but its actually pasta in a red bowl of ...tomatoe sauce I guess ( not blood lol)

It looks like a pree coocked thing that you love as a kid and never stop eating I have a few of this aswell xD
I advise you to try some fresh pasta you might love it^^

The real one thing I did myself was a apple pie and I had a meltdown when I was doing the pastry. I don't count heating stuff from a can or heating some meat as coocking xD

And I burned many pans by forgetting my pasta xD

Damn I forgot to mention pizza, this is Italian but this is common for any western people I guess and THIS IS GOOD xD

Damn I forgot to mention pizza, this is Italian but this is common for any western people I guess and THIS IS GOOD xD
See, even pizza is so different place to place. I grew up in Ohio with the best pizza I've ever had and have found nothing even close anywhere else. Here, mostly pizza hut pizza or similar. I remember driving through western part of Canada on our way to Alaska and we had pizza delivered and then understood why it was called pizza PIE. The toppings were like an inch and half thick. And someone told me that they ordered a pizza hut pizza in China -just the supreme and their supreme was all different seafoods and fish.
Oh - and I love plain pasta with butter melted on it and parmisan sprinkled over it.

New Threads

Top Bottom