• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite alcoholic beverages?

it depends on taste,currently its cider but sometimes beer/lager like stella and red stripe.
when i have enough money to buy a half litre/litre bottle [which is rare unfortunately] i drink irish whiskey [usually jamesons] with coke or in recent times haig club clubman whiskey with coke if at a pub/bar,or jagermeister and redbull if at a pub/bar.
i was drinking havana club 7 year matured rum with coke at my aunties wake a while ago,that was nice stuff.

I don't drink often except on holidays and special occasions, and when I do drink I tend to get serious about it, but I'm not too picky. I'll take just about anything - wine, beer, spirits, don't matter, just as long as it packs a punch :)

Red wine, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon or Carmenere, white wine, preferably Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio; Bailey's.
I also enjoy Margarita, Pisco Sour and Mojito. I like to try different kinds of beer, specially artisanal ones, out of curiosity, but I usually don't stick with them.
I don't like whisky at all.

Local "Real Ale" is my usual "tipple", sometimes I might have a glass of Rose' Wine with a meal or something.

And fortunately, although according to some people I don't look in my early 40's, I look over 18, therefore I get served in most Pubs, then again, I was ordering Shandies when I was about 13 and got served 99 times out of 100.

Not a drinker at all, but every one in my biological family is/was except my Father. They all drank to excess. Probably why I don't. I actually don't like the taste of beer or liquor, that burning sensation on my tongue and the bitterness never appealed.

Don't mind cider or bailey's on rare occasions. And a few times a year a glass of a good red wine, is all-right. Suppose that drinking on a regular basis worries me, as alcoholism seems to run in the family. I remember who they all were before the excessive drinking, and they're different people now.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm playing armchair psychiatrist, but I think you can tell a lot about people based on what kind of alcohol they enjoy. I like scotch and weird craft beers a lot. How about you all?

I am curious why persons drink, too, so if anyone can explain the reasons I would like to hear it. Is it a taste thing, from social pressure, cool in their mind, or does it make them feel better, like reducing their anxiety, or to make them feel less? I am fine with many drinking, as it is their life and as it is legal over a certain age. Most likely are responsible with alcohol. It is the other many ones who misuse alcohol and then it harms others that I have a problem with.

Last edited:
I used to be heavy for beer or rum/whiskey and coke. Sometimes Jaegermeister which I don't think I actually liked very much but it was just the heavy metal thing to do.

These days just low amounts of beer, just one per day on average. I drank WAY too much between the ages of 17-22. I shutter to think of the volume of sugar I put in my body from the coke mix.

I am curious why persons drink, too, so if anyone can explain the reasons I would like to hear it. Is it a taste thing, from social pressure, cool in their mind, or does it make them feel better, like reducing their anxiety, or to make them feel less? I am fine with many drinking, as it is their life and as it is legal over a certain age. Most likely are responsible with alcohol. It is the other many ones who misuse alcohol and then it harms others that I have a problem with.
When I was younger,I self-medicated with alcohol to slow down the amount of information I had to process with each waking hour.

I'm eidetic and process minutia in the world presented in floods of images at a level that is entirely unnecessary for functioning.After a long day of mechanical engineering or troubleshooting,I needed a brain break so to speak,and found it in a bottle of alcohol.

When under the influence of alcohol,my processing took a back seat and allowed me to relax a little better.
On the other side of the coin,I would never recommend this to others.

Last edited:
I don't like to take shots at all, it's a good way to lose control and end up sick, which is never any fun. I can't understand how people can just start slamming shot after shot after shot for hours. x.x Of course then they come to our bar (which doesn't even serve liquor) and throw up everywhere. #anger Liquor should be savored not slammed.

I don't like mixing different kinds of liquors either, also guaranteed to make me sick. If I start with rum and coke then I have to stick with rum and coke all night. If I start with tequila, gotta stick with it. Plan accordingly. Don't start drinking 15$ drinks you're not going to be able to afford more than two of if you have a long night.

I don't drink alcohol; I just don't like it that's all. I drink grape juice instead of wine, and I drink Kvass (a fermented Slavic bread drink) instead of beer - and also instead of soda. I used to be a soda-holic at one point (especially with Dr. Pepper) but stopped drinking that stuff too because it's filled with unhealthy junk.

The bread drink sounds interesting. Maybe even tasty!

I've never felt social pressure to drink. I mean, I did spend 8 years as an adult not having a single drop of alcohol by choice, so there certainly was a fair amount of pressure that people tried to impose on me (and during the first few of those 8 years, I was in arts & entertainment, so you better believe people drank around me), but it didn't affect me. Or rather, I didn't let it affect me. I'm glad to have gone through that phase, I know I can resist the urge. People do drink heavily on one side of my family, so I had to test myself. Plus, I was worried that my tolerance to the thing was way too high for my frame, and that wasn't too good a thing, I feel it makes me more prone to drink too much.

That being said: I like the taste of some spirits and specific wines. I don't go out of my way to get to like something I dislike, I'm fine with not liking some.
And I like to occasionally have a drink, always in good company, always in a place I like. I enjoy the fact that for maybe an hour or two, I loosen up a bit, my anxiety is not as high, and my need for control over every little thing doesn't control me. So I'll have maybe one night a month where I have a few drinks, and that's it. It's been better for me than any medication for anxiety I've ever been given, in that I've never felt a rebound, or withdrawal, or anything. And it doesn't leave me as dazed & confused either (I mean, I might get tipsy after enough drinks, but it's nothing like needing several pills to find the courage to walk to work, only to be too impaired and brain fogged to be able to do anything).

Sometimes, work functions called for some drinking (OK, to which I happily obliged because they were always things I could never afford, and I'm cheap like that, lol), but that was fairly rare.

Vueve Cliquot (French champagne).

If I'm at a dive bar, I like Jack & Coke w/Lime.

If I'm at a hotel lounge, I go for Macallan (scotch).

BTW, I'm old-school autistic, which means when I grew up, there was no support and we just had to "fit in," so I found that if I hung-out with drinkers, they didn't judge me so much AND I could be more socially accepted. Eventually, this lifestyle caught up to me - now, I'm more careful about it, but if I was honest, I would actually say that booze got me through my 20's and 30's socially. I don't regret it. However, it's also "stupid juice" and once I realized that it's a nasty addiction that can make you do stupid things, I then cut back. Still, when I have a dinner party or meet someone new, I'm afraid I do still rely on booze as a social crutch - you just can't let it get out of control. Easier said than done for some...

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Katleya. If given the choice between a drink and medication, I would try the drink myself, though I have yet to have the urge yet, nor will I likely. My father was an alcoholic, so I think I rebelled against that. If he had not been maybe I would have tried something. Same for his smoking. Since he did it, I would not. So, thanks Dad. It is the only thing you ever indirectly helped me with. I really appreciate that. I decided on self-help instead because of you.

Yeah, I've pretty much rebelled against every thing my parents did, so no cigarettes (or other cigarettes with a funny smell as I thought years ago), nothing. Beer always gave my father a nasty attitude, so that's probably why I can't stand it, I suppose it triggers bad memory (and the smell, really, but I might be reacting to the smell because of the memories).
But you have to know that I am really super anxious, so yeah, I need something to slow down the crazy ride my head get on sometimes...

i suffer with constant anxiety that regulary triggers challenging behavior if i or staff dont do something about it,and alcohol calms that anxiety,i dont drink alot at all but i drink every day.

i know its not good self medicating with alcohol and my shrink was supposed to have increased and changed some of my medications in the past couple of months but he hasnt instructed the GP to go ahead with it yet which has caused me to relie on alcohol.
my mother is a depressive alcoholic and has been since i was 5 as she had no outside support with me and the GP blamed her for my disabilities so she has carried a shame all these years,plus every other female in her family [she had 7 or 8 sisters,typical irish family from back then] were alcoholics to so perhaps there was a genetic link there.
my sister who is aspie is totally anti alcohol unlike me and i think apart from when she tried to look cool as a teenager with her friends and she drank a bit of vodka;she wont touch the stuff she thinks it will turn her into a copy of our mum.

New Threads

Top Bottom