• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The soil in my pots containing my potatoes has frozen-up in the cold weather, before I could harvest all my potatoes; if I just leave them there, will they sprout and grow next season?

The soil in my pots containing my potatoes has frozen-up in the cold weather, before I could harvest all my potatoes; if I just leave them there, will they sprout and grow next season?

Very probably, yes.
I inevitably miss a few of the smaller potatoes in the soil when I dig mine up, and I tend to find them already growing when I dig holes for seed potatoes the next spring.

You could really just flip the buckets upside down and dump out the soil. The papas might still be good, and you could harvest them.

But if you leave them, yes, they'll grow new ones next year. Potatoes are the easiest thing in the world to grow.

@Yeshuasdaughter

These tall spindly things are the plants I was wondering about. Grows everywhere around here. Do you know what it is? Any part edible?
Maybe hard to tell while it's all dead-like. I can always take better pics in the spring.
IMG_0125.jpg

Yeah, they have velvety leaves. But I can take a pic when they aren't in their current state. lol :D
Something like this?
iu

If so, it's probably from the Verbascum family, also known as mullein.

I wouldn't just jump in and take it without seeing more pictures, but it looks like a verbascum, sort of.

Mullein is an excellent remedy for the respiratory system. I've used it in teas and herbal syrups for pneumonia, bronchitis, and asthma. It can be put into a salve for eczema. It reduces inflammation.

It was also used by people in the past as a tobacco substitute.

Something like this?
iu

If so, it's probably from the Verbascum family, also known as mullein.

I wouldn't just jump in and take it without seeing more pictures, but it looks like a verbascum, sort of.

Mullein is an excellent remedy for the respiratory system. I've used it in teas and herbal syrups for pneumonia, bronchitis, and asthma. It can be put into a salve for eczema. It reduces inflammation.

It was also used by people in the past as a tobacco substitute.

Yup! That looks like it! I've heard my neighbour say mullein before too, but I didn't know what plants he was talking about when he said it.. lol

Sounds like it's mostly a remedy for things though? Not good food?

Yup! That looks like it! I've heard my neighbour say mullein before too, but I didn't know what plants he was talking about when he said it.. lol

Sounds like it's mostly a remedy for things though? Not good food?
If you want a mouth full of flannel, go right ahead and eat it! But no, not a food, and don't consume the flower or the seed, only the leaves. It's very safe, even babies have it in their cough syrups. It is so soothing, and eases those really rough coughs.

New Threads

Top Bottom