• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Faking birthdates!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if there is such a thing as a requirement to be over 13, as long as we don't have a 12 year-old passing for someone in their forties, I don't see a problem. People have their reasons, and sometimes they're obscure to us, but that doesn't make them any less valid. As long as there's no intention to deceive, it's not dishonest.

I don't think I'm in a position to decide whether it is OK or not if the name is not mentioned, because I'm not the one making the rules. The only thing I can express is how I personally feel about it, and that's how it should be taken: as a mere opinion (mine being that I'm not comfortable with that action, but that's because I view gossip as the first stage of bullying // playing devil's advocate, I'll also add that just because I think it's gossip doesn't automatically make it gossip).

I'll try to clarify my last comment, although to do so properly, it would help to know which part you don't fully understand.
- I personally don't have a problem with birthdays that may or may not be accurate.
- I do have a problem with gossip in general, whatever the topic and whoever the subject are.
- On my scale of "breach of trust" misdemeanors, what ranks highest is if I were ever to find that there is an NT pretending to be on the spectrum.
- I did not, however, have self-diagnosis in mind, I was thinking of people coming here deliberately to troll, which I haven't seen happen in my few months here. Regarding self-diagnosis, I'd like to clarify that most actual AS people who self-diagnose have done so quite accurately, generally more so than professionals have, so self-diagnosis is not something I'm against or look down on.

If there was any perceivable "age requirement" , it would be found in the terms and conditions.

No such requirement exists on this forum. Only an occasional and subjective reminder in certain threads by our mods that in fact minors may be present depending on the content.

@Myrtonos, nothing personal, but I don't get why you keep debating with everyone over small stuff like this, even when your arguments are proven wrong. Now that you've been given input from more people, there's really nothing further to discuss at this point. It is what it is.

Can you please just let it go already? This is not a fight to the death, your ego is not at stake here, and "rumors"? Really man? Oh, I forgot to mention, in case everyone who's still reading this thread was wondering, this stemmed from a conversation in chat concerning the same topic. Of all things, I didn't expect a thread would be started on it...

Last edited:
@Myrtonos, nothing personal, but I don't know why you keep persistently arguing with everyone over small stuff like this. Now that you've been given valid reasons and counter-arguments from several people there's really nothing further to discuss at this point. It is what it is.
But it isn't small stuff. And if it is, I am arguing over it for a similar reason many aspies and auties argue with neurotypicals over "small stuff." Your accusations remind me of what even I have had before from neurotypicals.
I did like a post by @Katleya on the previous page. And here's one thing she pointed out; If the owner of this site doesn't want to require users to specify their birthdate, they could set it up so that specifying the date of birth isn't required.

Yes, others have offered valid reasons for hiding one's date of birth from public view, but not for faking it.

On the whole, no I can't. I can imagine reason for not giving the actual birthdate if not required by the online community, but in that case, the software running it might as well be configured to allow registration without specifying a date of birth.

On the whole, no I can't. I can imagine reason for not giving the actual birthdate if not required by the online community, but in that case, the software running it might as well be configured to allow registration without specifying a date of birth.
Then please,by all means,drop it ok?

I don't fully understand this comment, but the part after the comma explains why self-diagnosis is not recommended. Those "prentending they are on the spectrum" may well be overinterpreting their behaviour.

Hi Myrtonos,

I am just trying to understand something and I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't take it that way.

I dont get the birthday thing, its no big deal to me for some reason, but mine is accurate, not that I even care... I tried to find any posts that explain something about you. I was just wanting to see where you were coming from, nothing personal... ASD/AS/ADD/SPD... I have no clue who you are, or why your here.

Are you ASD or Aspie? I don't care if your self diagnosed its something people just KNOW. I am official and I hate that fact actually. But Dude you just basically slammed a whole lot of people on this website with your comment... I hope I misunderstood you, I really do.

You have been here a long time. It looks like you would want to help instead of berate people. You may just be an NT just bullying around. I have no clue, but I would be glad to try and get to know you, instead of all of us getting all flustered over a non-issue... But the "pretending they are on the spectrum" because they don't have an official... Thats pretty cruel... Like I said I hope I misunderstood you.

There are some very nice people here who I would call my family over my own. I basically don't even have a family, so this is important to me. I have issues when someone starts stuff for no reason whatsoever. No one provoked you (that I am aware of), and if I posted something offensive to you. Bro I'm sorry... I would be glad to learn more about you seriously.

I'm here to learn, relate, and to try and fit in somewhere. You may have something I need to learn.

Have a good day, and please know I am not trying to be a jerk.

Someone unable to afford an official diagnosis is not "pretending to be on the spectrum." We respect and welcome members here regardless of paperwork.

And, we can let the matter drop if someone had to decide, for security reasons, their listed date of birth needs to be a variant.

This thread has run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom