• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Faking birthdates!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gossip worries me, but not as much as I'm confused about why people would want to gossip about something as irrelevant as a user not using their own date of birth.

@Myrtonos what exactly are you trying to achieve with this post? Shaming the user you were gossiping about? Gathering an angry mob? Complaining?

200w.gif

Last edited:
I think what is more upsetting is that you got to know about it; where is the privacy in that!

I personally would love to have by passed it, because I do not celebrate birthdays anyway and have to put up with it glaring at me, when it comes to that day and have to explain to well wishers that thanks, but I do not celebrate.

Exactly... but I will celebrate mine if someone wants to toss out a couple million dollars... then we can go give it all away... Seriously that would be one fun birthday. Its just stupid paper, but it can change lives of those who are sleeping on streets and eating out of dumpsters and such... It may be because of bad choices they made, but thats never the point, nor is it our business what they do with what is given to them.

Wow I derailed again, but it would still be probably the greatest day of my life.

I have heard a rumour that one of our members has faked their birthdate. I won't say which one. This goes against any good reason for requiring members to specify their date of birth when signing-up.

You think that's bad? I've been conning you all since I joined; I'm not even a real boy.

You think that's bad? I've been conning you all since I joined; I'm not even a real boy.

Dude, keep it quiet but my real name is Peter... also known as Pan...
Me and the lost boys are here to take gullible people back to never land... and Tink is floating around here somewhere. : )

I actually wish that were a true statement in some weird way

Dude, keep it quiet but my real name is Peter... also known as Pan...
Me and the lost boys are here to take gullible people back to never land... and Tink is floating around here somewhere. : )

I actually wish that were a true statement in some weird way
I did a custom Tinker Bell Myspace tag for a stripper friend of mine who went by that stagename that wanted Tink to look risque.

At first,I photoshopped her clothing off and later went back before I finished it and added tanlines,because after all,it was Tinker Bell :p

I don't think it's either gossip or rumors. I know of, at least, one user who publicly declared that she gave her incorrect age.

I did a custom Tinker Bell Myspace tag for a stripper friend of mine who went by that stagename that wanted Tink to look risque.

At first,I photoshopped her clothing off and later went back before I finished it and added tanlines,because after all,it was Tinker Bell :p

That sounds hilarious, but I fear that a certain company that makes a lot of movies and theme parks might be very offended. Sigh. They made a children's hospital repaint walls that had proprietary images on it once. Hate to think how they would react to your artwork. :eek::p

That sounds hilarious, but I fear that a certain company that makes a lot of movies and theme parks might be very offended. Sigh. They made a children's hospital repaint walls that had proprietary images on it once. Hate to think how they would react to your artwork. :eek::p
Hey now,think about that for a sec...
Wasn't it Disney that has provided us with non-stop entertainment in the manner of Mouseketeers turned sleazebags? :D

Hey now,think about that for a sec...
Wasn't it Disney that has provided us with non-stop entertainment in the manner of Mouseketeers turned sleazebags? :D

Miley Cyrus?

'Cause Annette stayed wholesome.....

I would have said Britney Spears & Christina Aguilera.
Come to think of it, that Britney Spears video where she's pretending to be a pole dancer... maybe her stage name was Tinker Bell after all?

I can understand someone choosing to use a fictitious date of birth for the sake of anonymity.
How about just not giving the birthdate publically?
Seriously, I fully agree with what @Judge said. Most sites require a birth-date, so on most I use a date that's easy for me to remember that's close to my age but not the actual date. If polled, most people over a certain age would probably say that their "cyber footprint" is bogus to a degree. After all, my real name is not Sportster.

I think the reason so many sites require a birth-date is the same as having to show an ID at Walmart to buy certain movies, which cracks me up since I'm about 40 years older than most of those clerks running the registers.
And surely there is a good reason why they require a birth-date, and that's a reason not to fake it. On this site, there is the option of not showing it publically.

Last edited:
How about just not giving the birthdate publically?

And surely there is a good reason why they require a birth-date, and that's a reason not to fake it. On this site, there is the option of not showing it publically.

people are not obligated to be truthful about any of their personal information. also, that's a real life reason, not an online reason.

No, there isn't a "good" reason. It's merely a social device to recognize a member's birthday.

This is an online community. Not a governmental entity or employer. With absolutely no reason for anyone to divulge their personal vital statistics whatsoever.

Last edited:

A XXX tinker bell now thats a sexy pixy, but I just best shut up right now, before I get in trouble...
I mean Pan and Tink... It could be really magical... in Neverland of course or at a stripper club...
I gotta shut up now. Dying laughing inside.

people are not obligated to be truthful about any of their personal information. also, that's a real life reason, not an online reason.
But I tend to expect they would be truthful about date of birth. If you don't want your actual birthdate to be publically viewable, just hide the birthdate.
No, there isn't a "good" reason. It's merely a social device to recognize a member's birthday.
I don't get the second sentence. As for the first, why else would those running the site set it up so that accounts cannot be created without specifying a valid birthdate?
This is an online community. Not a governmental entity or employer. With absolutely no reason for anyone to divulge their personal vital statistics whatsoever.
But the online community isn't bound to allow anyone to join. And the decision of the site owner seems to be that specifying date of birth is a condition to join. Those who aren't comfortable with it shouldn't use the site. Nothing you guys say will ever convince me there are any exceptions.
I don't see anything wrong with faked birthdates. if you use it because you don't feel safe giving your age to the public, that is perfectly okay. I have dealt with many unsafe people, and I can understand why people would want to protect themselves. most of us don't post our real names as usernames, so it makes sense that we wouldn't be honest about our age either. however, if you do this, you should tell someone your real birthday when you can trust them.
And I'm sure there are many more who disclose their birthdates than their real names. Birthdates are way less personal because millions of other people in this world share the same birthdate. Why else do so many sites require dates of birth to be specified but not real names?

Last edited:
If your mind is made up already, and nothing we can say will convince you, why is this even being discussed?

That being said, nitpicking is my guilty pleasure, and I'll indulge in it:

Specifying a date of birth is a condition to join. However, no mention is made of the actual accuracy of said date of birth, leaving people free to do as they please. Perhaps they identify better with that date they provided, who knows? I know I have an official birthday, and a set of dates I wished were my birthday, so on select unofficial occasions, I know I might use those for privacy purposes (not here, because I didn't think of it). I suspect that perhaps users need to be over 13 to join, hence the requirement, but the admins would know more than I do.

Publicly displaying one's date of birth is another issue; it's either a personal choice or, in some cases, a lack of knowledge that one can opt out of it, but it has no relation with the condition to join.

However, you haven't addressed the reasons that made you think it was appropriate to relay hearsay. Several of us have expressed concern about that. Even if someone has officially stated elsewhere that they used another birth date than that which was legally recorded, I fail to see how that gives any 3rd party the right to discuss it outside of the presence of the "birthday faker".

I, for one, would much prefer seeing erroneous birthdays than people talking about me behind my back, or NTs pretending that they're on the spectrum; that would be a much more serious breach of trust to me.

If your mind is made up already, and nothing we can say will convince you, why is this even being discussed?
Because I might be able to convince them.
Specifying a date of birth is a condition to join. However, no mention is made of the actual accuracy of said date of birth, leaving people free to do as they please. Perhaps they identify better with that date they provided, who knows? I know I have an official birthday, and a set of dates I wished were my birthday, so on select unofficial occasions, I know I might use those for privacy purposes (not here, because I didn't think of it). I suspect that perhaps users need to be over 13 to join, hence the requirement, but the admins would know more than I do.
Yes, you gave a reason for that requirement. And that's exactly why one also shouldn't fake it.
Publicly displaying one's date of birth is another issue; it's either a personal choice or, in some cases, a lack of knowledge that one can opt out of it, but it has no relation with the condition to join.
Yes it is another issue. One doesn't have to publically display the birthdate given, that's not a condition for joining.
However, you haven't addressed the reasons that made you think it was appropriate to relay hearsay. Several of us have expressed concern about that. Even if someone has officially stated elsewhere that they used another birth date than that which was legally recorded, I fail to see how that gives any 3rd party the right to discuss it outside of the presence of the "birthday faker".
I thought it would be okay as long as I didn't say which particular user.
I, for one, would much prefer seeing erroneous birthdays than people talking about me behind my back, or NTs pretending that they're on the spectrum; that would be a much more serious breach of trust to me.
I don't fully understand this comment, but the part after the comma explains why self-diagnosis is not recommended. Those "prentending they are on the spectrum" may well be overinterpreting their behaviour.

But the online community isn't bound to allow anyone to join. And the decision of the site owner seems to be that specifying date of birth is a condition to join. Those who aren't comfortable with it shouldn't use the site. Nothing you guys say will ever convince me there are any exceptions.

Well, it's pretty simple to just ask out host so he can tell us formally he doesn't care in the slightest whether we provide him with our actual birthdates or not.

Yo Brent!

Not surprising, here's some comments on the Xenforo site regarding birthdates for Xenforo forums in general. Seems no one much cares one way or the other. There's even an add-on from Xenforo to delete the birthdate question altogether.

Require birthday for registration?

Remove Date Of Birth

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom